The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 04-10-2003, 11:47 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

4/10/2003: Flame nebula

Thanks to Elspode who sends along another great astro pic. He notes: "The 2 Micron All Sky Survey has been completed, and the images are stunning. With this infrared survey, you can see a lot more detail in familiar objects due to the ability of infrared to penetrate through dust layers, both in the universe and in the objects themselves. Wonderful online site presents the whole catalogue of images...awesome. And all of them are Earth based. Not even Hubble performs this well in IR."

I'll say. It's ANOTHER beaut! The link notes that the above is the flame nebula, the below is the horsehead nebula.

The wife is interested in buying some of the Hubble prints, which can be bought for a pretty decent price, printed on photographic paper. I love them but I wonder if, after 20 years, we're going to have so much more vision of the universe that they'll seem very dated. Just like Apollo-era images today. You realize the importance of them, but they remind you just as much that they are from a different era. The state-of-the-art of their day, certainly, but even in that short amount of time, we've gone past that now.

Source: http://www.ipac.caltech.edu/2mass/ga.../Flame_Neb.jpg
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 11:57 AM   #2
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Most photography, astronomical or otherwise, has an inherent value, regardless of age. Due to their very nature, photos capture both a moment in time (of the subject) and a moment in technological history (the photo itself, as an object).

I find even the oldest astro photos to be fascinating because they allow me to appreciate much more keenly the amount of advancements we have achieved in the science, and to feel that much more appreciative of the quality, quantity and availability of the information and imagery we have at our fingertips.

BTW...the Horsehead Nebula is not the other brightly illuminated nebulosity below the Flame Nebula in the photo, but rather is a barely visible portion of the very faintly illuminated strip of nebulosity at the bottom of the picture.

Last edited by Elspode; 04-10-2003 at 11:59 AM.
Elspode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 12:27 PM   #3
And
Conjunction

*sigh* I wish to hell and back they would at least double the budget on the space programs... I want to take the afternoon shuttle to the moon before I die...

fricken' reality... always ruinin' my dreams...
Old 04-10-2003, 05:18 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
I love them but I wonder if, after 20 years, we're going to have so much more vision of the universe that they'll seem very dated.
Aw, go for it. Wives are the same way but we marry them anyway.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:46 PM   #5
quzah
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Quote:
Originally posted by And
*sigh* I wish to hell and back they would at least double the budget on the space programs... I want to take the afternoon shuttle to the moon before I die...

fricken' reality... always ruinin' my dreams...
This is what I would absolutely love to do. You see in [insert fav sci-fi show/movie/etc here] where they fly around in nebulas and stuff, with amazing imagery. That's what I want to do. I want to be a tiny god, so I can fly around in space and be awe struck by amazing sights for all of time. Satelite imagery and space shots just blow my mind.

Quzah.
quzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 12:51 AM   #6
bjlhct
Theremin Master

Space. OK.

http://www.islandone.org/LEOBiblio/

http://www.astronautix.com/articles/probirth.htm

Cheers.
bjlhct is offline   Reply With Quote