The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 01-29-2009, 01:39 AM   #1
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Dead mother incubator

You may be familiar with this story where a husband asked hospital staff to keep his brain dead wife on life support for two days in order to give their baby a high chance of survival.

Quote:
Two days after Jayne Soliman was declared brain-dead, her grieving husband saw her life-support machine turned off.

In a moment of unbelievable poignancy, he was then given their baby daughter to hold for the first time.

Doctors had kept 41-year-old Mrs Soliman's heart beating after she suffered a brain haemorrhage.

For 48 hours they pumped large doses of steroids into her body to help the baby's lungs develop.
I find it interesting that some people are against this decision by the husband and the hospital. More so because Dazza and I had a discussion about this very same topic quite a few months ago after I had a very near miss while driving. It was my very express wish that he keep me on life support until our baby could be born safely.

What do you think?
Old 01-29-2009, 04:53 AM   #2
Kingswood
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

They did the right thing, IMO. Give the baby a fighting chance.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:48 AM   #3
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

It would seem pointless not to. And it makes for an AWESOME band name. Dibs!
Old 01-29-2009, 09:03 AM   #4
Pie
Gone and done

What would the mother have wanted? That's the only question that needs to be answered. Most mothers-to-be would rather do whatever they could to give their baby a better chance. Dad should know.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:47 PM   #5
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Smart and logical choice by the family and hospital. In this country they probably would not have even given the father a choice.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:58 PM   #6
Juniper
I know, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
What would the mother have wanted? That's the only question that needs to be answered. Most mothers-to-be would rather do whatever they could to give their baby a better chance. Dad should know.
I think the father's wishes are important too. After all, the baby belongs just as much to him.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #7
Pie
Gone and done

...And he would have chosen differently, why?
Old 01-29-2009, 01:10 PM   #8
dmg1969
I got nothing

I couldn't see making a decision other than the one he made. Losing his wife would be bad enough. Why let the baby die too?
Old 01-29-2009, 01:29 PM   #9
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
I think the father's wishes are important too. After all, the baby belongs just as much to him.
Do you feel the same way if the life of the baby is to be ended?

Just asking because I'm genuinely curious as to how people approach this.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:30 PM   #10
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

See? I knew it would take a couple of posts for this to come up. lol
Old 01-29-2009, 01:50 PM   #11
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Yeah. I hate being the one to have done it, but it followed naturally.

You expect a guy to shell out cash for it, he should have a say in all the other decisions.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:51 PM   #12
Juniper
I know, right?

No, I don't mean he would have chosen differently. I mean, if people are against keeping her alive and think he made the wrong choice to prolong her life, why is "she would have wanted this" the only thing that matters? Why isn't it just as valid for the dad to say "I don't care what my wife would've wanted - I want that baby to live."

As far as ending the baby's life, actually, I don't think it's up to either of them. IMO if it is possible for the baby to survive by keeping the mother on life support, it would be unethical for anyone to choose otherwise. When you conceive, you are an incubator. Your body belongs just as much to the baby as to yourself. But then, I'm staunchly pro-life so I guess I'll get flamed now.

If he doesn't want the baby now that mom's dead, I'm sure there are many loving couples who would want to adopt a newborn. It's the older ones that are hard to place.

My original point, though, was para #1. I get weary of father's rights being disregarded.

But it doesn't matter. I'm just a dumb ass anyway.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:07 PM   #13
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I would be very much against an abortion of a healthy viable foetus with a father ready to take in and take care of the child once it is born.

In that case, yes I would expect the mother to wait an extra two days in order for medical facilities to be available.

Do I think men have a right to insist their sexual partner carries an embryo to term if she has no wish to be a mother? No. I am an atheist, I have no belief in souls, I do not call a foetus a baby. If a man has a strong desire to be a father there are plenty of women in the world happy to comply with him. If he knocks up someone with the same views as me, perhaps he should have got to know his partner before having intercourse. I have always taken preventative measures, but do not feel having an unwanted child is acceptable if they fail.

The contraceptive pill is technically abortion. I took it for 10 years, no doubt aborting many clusters of cells. I've also taken the morning after pill more than once, potentially killing even more. I've been aware at every stage of what I am doing and how. At least that way if I burn in Hell I won't spend an eternity boring my neighbours with, "But I didn't know.....!"

I accept there are some (few) reasons why a viable foetus might be aborted. But as far as I am aware, the mother changing her mind is not one of them.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:11 PM   #14
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Murderer!!

Just kidding. lol!!

I wonder how much cash a uterus and fetus go for these days........hmmmm? I think I would charge steeper prices than what would be affordable.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:16 PM   #15
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I tried to donate eggs.
FAIL.

But at least I tried.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote