The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 10-12-2006, 04:49 PM   #1
busterb
NSABFD

disposable email addresses

Are these still around or did homeland kill them?
Old 10-12-2006, 06:47 PM   #2
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

thats taulalogical - if homeland killed them, they were disposable.....

(apart from the ones that were collaterally damaged, of course....... and that's excepting the ones disposed of by friendly fire...)
Old 10-12-2006, 07:56 PM   #3
busterb
NSABFD

Thanks, but I really didn't need any Disambiguation
Old 10-12-2006, 07:59 PM   #4
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

What are you trying to accomplish? For example, if you own your own domain, it's pretty easy to create anyemail@yourdomain.com and then delete it when you want. That's fine for having something unmportant you can give to people you think might spam you, but it's still traceable back to you.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:16 PM   #5
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Is there a reason you don't want to just create a random new account with yahoo or hotmail or some site like that?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:38 AM   #6
busterb
NSABFD

I'm thinking about passing along a little info. Most is a matter of record, but not well known. I live in a small town and would rather my name stayed out of it.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:53 AM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

If you create a web mail account at Gmail or Yahoo!, nobody will be able to track it back to you.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:13 AM   #8
busterb
NSABFD

Thanks UT, U da man once again
Old 10-13-2006, 11:13 AM   #9
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

It sounds like you don't care if they can write back to you. In that case I would say Mixmaster is your friend if you are ultra-paranoid. It can be complicated, though.

What UT says is right to a great extent. However, somebody armed with a subpoena would probably be able to get Google or Yahoo to cough up the IP address used to send the email and your ISP to tell them that you were using that address at that time. How likely this scenario is, is something you have to judge based on the nature of your information and the people who will not like it being released.

A wireless connection at a public space that doesn't require a login is probably OK to use for signing up w/ google/yahoo and sending your email--just make sure you don't turn around and log in to that account from home.

This line of thinking represents extreme paranoia, which is sometimes justified. If your opponents are not rich and well-lawyered, then less extreme measures are probably adequate. (Probably. How probable? It's a judgement call.)

Whatever you do don't send from work!! There's an excellent chance enough address info will be included in it to let them figure out that it came from your employer. It's one thing that they can tell a Verizon DSL customer sent it... quite another if they know it was somebody from Amalgamated Widgets, Inc.

Last edited by SteveDallas; 10-13-2006 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:17 AM   #10
busterb
NSABFD

Quote:
However, somebody armed with a subpoena would probably be able to get Google or Yahoo to cough up the IP address used to send the email and your ISP to tell them that you were using that address at that time.
Don't think this info is that top heavy. Thanks Steve
Old 10-17-2006, 07:49 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Did you ever wonder why SteveDallas is up on all this devious stuff?
Old 10-17-2006, 08:30 PM   #12
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Let's just say that tracking down a couple on-campus incidents for a past employer gave me a great appreciation for how much information about yourself you can leave behind. (I also got a great appreciation for how much trouble college students can get into with an in-room internet connection and lots of alcohol.)
Old 10-21-2006, 07:27 AM   #13
Phase
Resident Denizen

dodgeit.com
tempinbox.com

Both are incoming-only e-mail.