The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 03-28-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

Concussions....!

One of my kids' sports teams currently has three players out with concussion. Guess which sport/kid.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #2
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
I'm not going to jump to any concussions but isn't Thor the god of hammers and thunder or summat?
Old 03-29-2013, 12:24 AM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Um, I guess...
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

Keep a close eye on your kid, there is apparently a cumulative effect.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
monster

none of my kids actually has a concusion, thankfully (surprisinfly) but three girls on hebe's water polo team are currently out with concussions. And one with Mono (glandular fever) And they have the smallest team already. it's going to be an....interesting year!
Old 03-30-2013, 05:41 AM   #6
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

My boys have both had a number of concussions thanks to playing footy (rugby league). I worry about the cumulative effect. There are so many old footy players around who either have fits or are just simply stupid because their brains don't function properly. It's just frightening.

I'm hoping once they finish school they'll stop playing and focus on uni (yes, it looks like they'll both be going, so that's good news anyway).
Old 04-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #7
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

My brother played (American) football from the time he was 5 until he graduated from college. With all they know now about the effect of concussions, he says he wished he'd never played and that he'll strongly encourage any kids he may have to avoid the sport.

He never had a concussion, but he gave plenty of them.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:25 AM   #8
glatt

I remind my son at least once a year that he'll never play football. I won't allow it. He occasionally plays backyard touch football with a Nerf with his friends, and he gets injured enough doing that. No way am I going to sign a permission slip so he can collide as hard as he can with other people who are trying to collide with him as hard as they can.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #9
monster

you don't have to play football to get a concussion. or hockey. i have two hockey players, one of whom has played in a checking league for two years. yet it is the water polo team that has three concussions out of the starting gate. THREE. Even if you collidw full speed -which they don't because they start off bodyto body, the water would reduce impact effect. The season is three weeks old. Kids will be kids and they're going to manage to get breaks and concussions whatever they do.
One of the girls with concussion broke her thumb last year. during swim season. putting a swimsuit on.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #10
glatt

Absolutely. Kids will be kids. It only pure luck that I never broke anything when I was growing up.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #11
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

We were all about the lacerations, growing up in our house. I never broke anything, but I needed stitches twice before I got to Kindergarten, once more in third grade, and then in sixth grade I tore up my knee so badly there wasn't anything they could feasibly stitch together. My brother had stitches a total of 3 times, once in his tongue. But he was more of a Renaissance Man: he broke his collarbone too.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote