Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 07-09-2004, 05:59 PM   #1
lookout123
changed his status to single

religion of peace update

Quote:
"We don't make a distinction between civilians and non-civilians, innocents and non-innocents," quoth suspected al-Qa'ida terrorist Omar Bakri Muhammad, interviewed in the July issue of Harper's Magazine. "Only between Muslims and nonbelievers. And the life of a non-believer has no value. There's no sanctity in it.... We assume the purpose is to kill as many people as possible, to spread the terror.... Terror is the language of the 21st century. If I want something, I terrorize you to achieve it."

well as long as we are all clear about where we stand in their eyes, i guess it's ok.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:00 PM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Gotta love those fringe types!
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 06:03 PM   #3
lookout123

what? a group hug won't solve our problems? alright then, somebody's gotta die - who's it going to be?
Old 07-09-2004, 06:13 PM   #4
marichiko

How come somebody always has to die? I know! Let's round up all the members of al-Qa'ida along with George Jr. and subject them all to a rigorous cult-deprogramming. All wash-outs from the school will be sent to Antartica to put radio collars on Emperor penguins under the close scrutiny of armed ornithologists.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:23 PM   #5
lookout123

forceful cult deprogramming may result in kidnapping charges. that is no good.
a good shooting can always be handled with a number of defenses such as " i was insane, i swear", "i was just cleaning it and it just went off" or "he attacked me - i had no choice but to shoot him until i had emptied all 3 clips, reloaded, and emptied them again before i slowly drove over him with a steam roller."

and besides, isn't it just good old clean american fun to kill the enemy?
Old 07-10-2004, 11:37 AM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

More often, we sent them foreign aid and military hardware.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:45 AM   #7
jaguar
whig

You know, you could change about 5 words in there and it'd fit nicely from a christian fundie. Same probably applies to a hindu fundie as well but I've got less experience with them.

I think but OBL et al in a big cage with the entire administration and put in PPV, the world would not only be safer but damn, it'd make a killing. If you staged the event underground somewhere afterwards you could go round, collect everyone's WMD and let them all off in there. The nukes would neutralize the bio and chem weapons and make the whole site a shrine the peace.
Old 07-10-2004, 07:37 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I wish it was that simple, Jag. :thumpsup:
Old 07-12-2004, 08:20 AM   #9
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
How come somebody always has to die? I know! Let's round up all the members of al-Qa'ida along with George Jr. and subject them all to a rigorous cult-deprogramming. All wash-outs from the school will be sent to Antartica to put radio collars on Emperor penguins under the close scrutiny of armed ornithologists.
I'd vote for this! :thumpsup:

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 10:16 AM   #10
lookout123

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar
You know, you could change about 5 words in there and it'd fit nicely from a christian fundie. Same probably applies to a hindu fundie as well but I've got less experience with them.

??? show me. i've not heard too many christian fundamentalists advocating killing all who don't believe. "civilians and noncivilians, innocents and noninnocents..." nope, haven't anything close to that.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:37 AM   #11
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Well, Islam is a couple of hundred years younger than Christianity.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 11:42 AM   #12
lookout123

those darn wipper-snappers. can't wait til they get a little older and quit trying to kill us all.

seriously though, this isn't about islam. it is about wahabbists.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:59 AM   #13
jaguar
whig

Quote:
??? show me. i've not heard too many christian fundamentalists advocating killing all who don't believe. "civilians and noncivilians, innocents and noninnocents..." nope, haven't anything close to that.
Well, I've heard 'christians' advocating killing abortion clinic doctors, muslims and gays to name but a few. Somehow I fail to see the difference. They're both goddamn nutjobs, one leads an army of afghan veterans spreading hate across the muslim world, the other is the leader of the 'free world'.

Islamic fundamentalists are no more muslim than fundamentalist christians are christian, both twist scripture to suit their own twisted view and neither are representative of their religions on the whole. You lost any gravity you had as soon as you said 'religion of peace', as to imply they represented Islam on the whole.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:36 PM   #14
lookout123

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar
Well, I've heard 'christians' advocating killing abortion clinic doctors, muslims and gays to name but a few. Somehow I fail to see the difference. They're both goddamn nutjobs, one leads an army of afghan veterans spreading hate across the muslim world, the other is the leader of the 'free world'.

/SNIP/...You lost any gravity you had as soon as you said 'religion of peace', as to imply they represented Islam on the whole.
and you lost any when you lump bush in with those who kill abortion doctors. by doing that you are lumping all christians in with the murderous fools who think blowing up a clinic is a good thing. that is the exact same thing you condemn(and rightly so) from the idiots who think all muslims are standing in line to strap bombs to their children.

and while we are at it, how many "christians" advocate using murder as a tool to win people over? now how many wahabbists, or other radical muslims are killing those they disagree with?
neither one is better than the other, but don't even pretend to compare the two.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:50 PM   #15
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Here is a fundamentalist handout to warm your heart... <PDF warning>

More here.