The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-11-2015, 02:27 PM   #1
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

The Fall of the British Empire

I was wandering about on the BBC website and came across this rather interesting guide to how Britain lost her empire.

Quote:
The power and influence of the British Empire once held its grip on the four corners of the globe. Over hundreds of years Britain gradually expanded its reach in a seemingly never-ending rise to total control. In the 20th Century, however, everything changed. In a matter of decades, this gigantic structure utterly collapsed and left a controversial legacy in its wake.

At its height this was the first genuinely global empire. At various points the British Empire controlled Canada and her dominions in the north, huge swathes of Africa in the south, Australia and New Zealand to the east and the American colonies to the west.

How and why could an empire so vast come crashing to the ground so quickly?
It's broken down into the various stages. Really informative.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/zcnmtfr

I knew the empire was huge, I didn't know that at it's zenith in the early 1920s it encompassed 458 million people. A quarter of the world's population. That's fucking ridiculous.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:46 PM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
The last viceroy of India, Louis Mountbatten, quickly signed the Indian Independence Act in an attempt to partition the area into a majority Musliim state of Pakistan and a majority Hindu India. Thousands died in the panic of the mass migration that followed and as the British withdrew from their outposts it seemed as though the sun was finally setting on the Empire.
And at this point the various branches of my father's family left India, he with his younger brother, his mother and his father. Some months after they arrived in the cold and damp northern english city of Manchester, they were joined by two of his cousins, both teenagers, a little older than Dad. They stayed with Dad's family, until their parents were able to make it to England.

In one branch of the family, Dad's second cousins I think, there had been a terrible falling out between the parents and a teenaged son, just a few months earlier. The son had left, they didn't know where he'd gone. Sp the parents and the infant sister left India - leaving their 14 or 15 year old son behind in all the turmoil. Little sister, and subsequent little sisters, were never told of their missing brother. They didn't know he existed. Their family never talked about him, nor did any of the wider family they were in contact with. Somehow, not sure how, one of the sisters found out and asked her mum about him, but I don;t know what she said in resopnse - can't recall now if she refused to talk about him still.

Some years later - about 10 years ago I think - they tracked him down and are now in contact.

Dad saw some pretty nasty stuff before they left. Witnessed, not the detail, but t he occurrence of a massacre. He was walking down a road coming down from his school in the hills,and as the road bent round and down there was a shelter (can;t recall if it was brick or wooden) where people cuold wait for the coaches that came by a couple of times a week. He saw a hindu family running from a different direction and go into the shelter. A few minutes later he saw a group of men armed with sticks and knives go into the shelter - there were screams and he saw a little of the aftermath. He'd have been about 11 or 12, I think.

At some point he saw a decapitated head in the road. Don't know if that was the same incident. I do know they left India quickly with what they could take with them in a single trip and everything else was left behind.

The culture shock must have been staggering. I think sometimes about what that must have been like, for Gran especially. From servants and absolute assumptions of entitlement in a land where you can just grab fresh mangoes straight from the tree and everywhere you look it is colourful - to a wet and grey 1940s Manchester, a modest semi-detached house, and a full-time job at Kelloggs to supplement Grandfather's salary.

Last edited by DanaC; 12-11-2015 at 02:57 PM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:24 PM   #3
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

I wonder if the people in Manchester said ... The British are comin'! The British are comin'!
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:13 PM   #4
monster
I hear them call the tide

Why would they develop a cockney accent?
Old 12-11-2015, 08:00 PM   #5
Griff
still says videotape

strange times indeed
Old 12-12-2015, 09:05 AM   #6
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Why would they develop a cockney accent?
They were in shock and awe.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:35 PM   #7
Pamela
Deplorable

Didn't that give rise to the British saying that "The sun never sets on the British Empire"?
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote