The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-22-2003, 11:22 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The next war thread

Items:

Mark Steyn points out that the Palestine Liberation Front announced that one of their top guys was killed in Iraq Wednesday night. This is a much closer tie to the PLF than Powell brought to the UN on Feb 5.

Someone brings 12 molotov cocktails to S.F. rallies. But I'm sure they would only hit bad guys and experience no collateral damage, because lit bottles of gasoline are precision weapons. Look at how well they work in an Athens "peace" protest:

Meanwhile, other SF "peace" protesters took shits in front of the Civic Center, whilst others staged a "vomit-in" -- lovely examples of humanity all.

Iraqi conscripts shoot their own officers rather than fight.
Quote:
British soldiers from 40 Commando’s Charlie Company found a bunker full of the dead officers, with spent shells from an AK47 rifle around them... (two captured officers) had left their soldiers hungry, poorly armed and almost destitute for weeks, judging by the state we had seen them in, while appearing to keep the money for themselves...

Every time you turned around, a new trickle of silhouettes emerged from the horizon walking slowly towards us. One Marine joked: “Oh no. They’re surrendering at us from all sides.”
(No link here) I have found no stories of Islamist terrorism in Western cities in the last week. Anyone else? There were two findings of Ricin, one in London and one in Paris; besides that, nothing. (No link here)

Even the harshly anti-American Guardian has a story of welcome troops:

Quote:
Ajami Saadoun Khlis, whose son and brother were executed under the Saddam regime, sobbed like a child on the shoulder of the Guardian's Egyptian translator. He mopped the tears but they kept coming.

"You just arrived," he said. "You're late. What took you so long? God help you become victorious. I want to say hello to Bush, to shake his hand. We came out of the grave."

"For a long time we've been saying: 'Let them come'," his wife, Zahara, said. "Last night we were afraid, but we said: 'Never mind, as long as they get rid of him, as long as they overthrow him, no problem'." Their 29-year-old son was executed in July 2001, accused of harbouring warm feelings for Iran.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 11:51 AM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Re: The next war thread

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
Meanwhile, other SF "peace" protesters took shits in front of the Civic Center, whilst others staged a "vomit-in" -- lovely examples of humanity all.
I read an article about the puke-in, but missed the info on the poop-in ...

I was going to add a sarcastic "their parents must be SO proud," but then I realized that they quite possibly are ... which says some sad things about society today.

Could these protestors be charged with use of WMD? Bodily fluids (and I here include solid wastes as well) represent a significant biohazard.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 12:11 PM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Weapons of ass eruption?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 12:33 PM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Pretty amazing when you think of it ...

After, what, 12 years of ignoring anything they had to say, Iraq is calling on the UN for help.

Of course, what they think of as help includes "make the US stop beating up on us" and "disarm Israel."

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 03-22-2003, 02:47 PM   #5
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

Operation "Iraqi Freedom"? What kind of name is that? If the world expects us to follow our imperialistic ways*, it should have been Operation "Desert Eagle"!

It's now my fondest hope that all the protestors will get on a plane -- no! wait for it! Not what you think! -- and travel to Iraq and help rebuild houses and schools.

I, on the other hand and in my proud imperialist fashion*, will donate $100 smackers to the first Iraqi children's fund I find.

Oh, yeah. I'm also going to donate $100 to the EFF for the war on DRM.

*Dripping with sarcasm; the very Soul of Sardonicy. I mean about the imperialist claptrap, not about the money.
Uryoces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 04:01 PM   #6
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Re: The next war thread

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
Someone brings 12 molotov cocktails to S.F. rallies
I've said it before, and I'll say it again..."Give me peace, or I'll kill you."

Hey, any excuse for an anarchy festival, right?
Old 03-22-2003, 04:32 PM   #7
jaguar
whig

Pretty much, any rally attracts the farleft/rentamob crowd so you're always gonna get that stuff, i've watched it enough times here. The war appears to be going well - at least from our carefully vetted news sources, which is good news for everyone involved. On the other hand i think Bagdhad is going to be the clincher and there was talk of 'stiff resistance' from a few major centres before they even got close to Bagdhad, good luck to the boys (and girls) over there, lets hope at least it's a fast one.

Anyone heard any more about the cruise missile that aparantly hit an oil well in Iran?

Shouldn't that be 'someone brought' ?
Old 03-22-2003, 04:57 PM   #8
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally posted by Uryoces
I, on the other hand and in my proud imperialist fashion*, will donate $100 smackers to the first Iraqi children's fund I find.
Saudia Arabia has been doing this for years. But when they sent investigators to learn how the money was doing, they found no schools, no meal programs, etc. Saudis did extensive investigations into easily a hundred of these relief funds. They discovered that too many were actually fronts for Al Qaeda. $10millions had been contributed. More often, nothing for the benefit of children was actually being done.

Then the right wing American critic of Saudia Arabia simply distort that report into proof that Saudia Arabia supports terrorism. Do we now say Uryoces also supports terrorism?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 04:59 PM   #9
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Re: Re: The next war thread

Quote:
Originally posted by Ep
..."Give me peace, or I'll kill you."
LMAO. I like it. It's kinda like "killing unborn babies via abortion is *wrong*, so I'm going to kill doctors with this bomb"

It's a fucked up world. Sometimes ya just gotta sit back and watch.

Last edited by slang; 03-22-2003 at 05:40 PM.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 05:36 PM   #10
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by tw
Then the right wing American critic of Saudia Arabia simply distort that report into proof that Saudia Arabia supports terrorism. Do we now say Uryoces also supports terrorism?
You did see his disclaimer, right?
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 06:20 PM   #11
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
Anyone heard any more about the cruise missile that aparantly hit an oil well in Iran?
That wayward missle has been reported as hitting everything from an oil well to defenseless women and children.

If it was one of ours that is certainly more than a little off course ... while it could happen, I dunno.

The possibility that it actually belonged to Iraq is being investigated, I believe

Old 03-22-2003, 06:24 PM   #12
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Jag, I've been looking at the ABC site periodically, but not enough.

How are Australians feeling about this war in general?
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 07:55 PM   #13
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
You did see his disclaimer, right?
The point was to demonstrate how one can become accused of supporting terrorists without even trying. And to demonstrate what the Saudis have discovered which I believe has not been reported domestically. Yes, anyone can become a terrorist without even trying.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 07:57 PM   #14
Griff
still says videotape

Our local Action News outfit has a call in at the end of the show where folks are encouraged to comment on stuff. Guy called yesterday, I believe, and mentioned he was watching some BU students reacting to the war coverage. He said it reminded him of the Palestinians cheering when the towers fell. Interesting perpective.
Old 03-23-2003, 01:03 AM   #15
juju
no one of consequence

Quote:
Originally posted by tw
The point was to demonstrate how one can become accused of supporting terrorists without even trying. And to demonstrate what the Saudis have discovered which I believe has not been reported domestically. Yes, anyone can become a terrorist without even trying.
It's easier than that. All you have to do is say they have "links" with Al-Qaeda. You don't have to explain it.. it will just be believed by the public blindly.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote