The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-03-2004, 10:49 PM   #1
wolf
lobber of scimitars

School's Out

You would think that a riot at a high school would get some news coverage ...

Seems as though a massive brawl erupted at Norristown High School today.

Actually, it was a two-part brawl.

Act One started at the beginning of school ... around 7AM or so. Act Two at 10:30ish required four or five police departments, and the sheriffs, resulted in multiple arrests and school being dismissed at noon. A special processing center had to be set up for all the arraignments (I was actually a bit surprised they didn't just line everybody up in the school auditorium and have the judge come to them ... Kind of like a Norristown Eagles Court). (for most of you who don't know, the NHS mascot is an Eagle, so that's a better joke than it seemed)

Once upon a time this would have been a big deal ... a fight that closes down a high school? With police ready for a replay tomorrow morning?

Noon news, while the story was still hot and the choppers were still circling the property (I saw at least three), 10 second bit saying "there was a fight and the school is closed." Eleven o'clock news? Nothing. Not even a mention.

I'm assuming that the lack of news coverage correlates to the lack of dead bodies.

None of the meager news reports have significant info regarding the cause of the fight. Word on the street is that it's some kind of gang related thing.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 07:30 AM   #2
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Re: School's Out

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
Word on the street is that it's some kind of gang related thing.
Gang related activity isn't popular news anymore because *ducking* we would only be blaming them for something that isn't their fault.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:42 AM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

And don't forget profiling ...

One of my coworkers is a graduate (or rather survivor) of the Norristown school district and he said that in his day (he got out in the early 80s) "salt and pepper" fights were not uncommon.

My school didn't even have a special name for them, and we certainly never had a school-clearing (or even cafeteria-clearing) brawl.

In fact, the only actual fight I ever remember seeing involved a gym teacher throwing one of the stoners headfirst into a set of lockers.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote