The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-10-2004, 03:15 PM   #1
Riddil
Management Consultant

Power of dreams?

Just kinduva light-hearted post. I've never really given dreams too much thought... mostly b/c I seem to have so few of them. But after a few interesting ones, I started to wonder, is it true that dreams may have some deeper meaning? Either that they may tell the future, or that they can have some symbolic meaning to express what's in your life?

It's easy to "force" a certain type of dream. I remember exams in college where'd I stress so badly that I'd dream I was taking the exam w/ no pencil/calculator/pants. Just think on something firmly enough and it carries into your dreams. But what about the "random" ones? Now, I'm firmly rooted in the camp that believes the human brain wants to find patterns, and will try to create the perception of something tangible out of chaos. (ie, play a song backwards and you hear a secret meaning! Omigosh!)... So isn't it possible that if you have a dream where you're dining naked with your boss... it may not mean that you harbor a deep secret that you want to keep hidden from authority. Maybe you just had a weird dream.

So, can dreams provide insight into life? Maybe even tell the future? Ooor if you have any off-the-wall dreams you'd like to share, air them out. :-P

One of my personal favorites belongs to a friend of mine... in the dream he was going to put one of those quick-cook pizzas in the oven. Right before pulling the oven open he noticed he could look through the clouded glass. When he looked in, he noticed that the oven was completely full of water and a snake/Chinese dragon type of creature was slowly swimming around inside, and it's length forced it to wind through the loops of it's own body as it swam.

Neat image. But I'm tentative to think that it may mean something like, "fast food will eventually kill you".
Riddil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 03:19 PM   #2
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
"What if you slept? And what if, in your sleep, you dreamed?
And what if, in your dream, you went to heaven and there plucked a
strange and beautiful flower? And what if, when you awoke,
you had the flower in your hand? Ah, what then?"
-- Coleridge
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 04:16 PM   #3
Pi
desperate finder

Did you never dreamed that you were falling an when you woke up you were lying on the ground? I think if when you're dreaming you have some influence on the dream. Sometimes I do that when I'm dreaming something I don't like I dream telling myself that I don't want to dream on but change subject.
I believe that dreams are a way to work problems out you can't resolve when you're awake, because you don't focus on the problem or are occupied by other things or your "Über-ich" (a word Freud used some over-conscience which tells you, influenced by the society what's wrong or right) doesn't let you think what you should. Like some more erotic dreams, things you couldn't really think of while you're awaken.
So mainly I think during the sleep your Über-ich turns down and all the frontiers fall and your strongest feelings come into your mind.
Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 04:56 PM   #4
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

Do you ever have those annoying "dreams" where you 1/2 wake up and your REALLY thirsty and you dream that you go get a glass of water, it all seems so real and you go to drink it and wake up and get all sad because you have no water and now you have to get up out of your comfy bed.

I am an asthmatic and sometimes, while sleeping i have an asthma attack, i "dream" that i get up and collect my puffer, and take it in my sleep (then wake 20 min later gasping for breath.) When i was still living with my ex, during our sleep my breathing would wake him up and he would often tell me that my hand would cup around the shape of an inhaler and i would pull it toward me and take deep breaths. Amazing that the dependancy i have on water and my medicine follows me everywhere.. even in my sleep.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:08 PM   #5
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Once, after driving from pittsburgh to Raleigh NC, we slept on the ground beside my car. there were woods along the side of the road- a pine forest with high branches and a dead pine needle floor. In the morning I dreamt that there was a huge male Lion walking out of the woods towards me, and I knew I was asleep and I had to get up in order to escape, but I couldn't wake up. I was asleep, and conscious that i was asleep, yet unable to wake up. gah. it was like drowning....i imagine.....

i think it meant that i was really really tired....and scared of lions.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 08:10 PM   #6
staceyv
Lecturer

i read a book about the power of the subconscious mind, and in the book, it suggested that you ask your subconscious to reveal the answers to your questions in your dreams....anyway, i'm not really the type to believe in this stuff, but i gave it a try. i fell asleep asking myself what my life purpose is, what is it i was put here to do? this has never happened to me before or since, but i woke up with a voice in my head that kept saying "you have the beat, you have the beat" very strange isn't it? so then months later i started dating a guy that had a drumset and i had never played drums before. the first time i got on them i played a decent beat and he was impressed. within three months i was as good as he was and he had been playing for 8 years. this story has a sad ending, though. we broke up and i don't have a drum set any more, so i guess my life purpose will not be fulfilled...meh.
staceyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 08:49 PM   #7
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

A drum pad and sticks are not that expensive. Good drummers are hard to find. Don't give it up if you really liked it.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 12:06 AM   #8
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by staceyv
..... but i woke up with a voice in my head that kept saying "you have the beat, you have the beat" ......

uh..............................hmm......

ok, ...........you've got the beat.
.................you've got the beat
.................yeah!
you've got the beat!

See the people walking down the street
Fall in line just watching all their feet
They don't know where they wanna go
But they're walking in time

They got the beat
They got the beat
Yeah
They got the beat

See the kids just getting out of school
They can't wait to hang out and be cool
Hang around 'til quarter after twelve
That's when they fall in line

Kids got the beat
They got the beat
They got the beat
Yeah
Kids got the beat

Go-Go music really makes us dance
Do the Pony puts us in a trance
Do the Watusi just give us a chance
That's when we fall in line

We got the beat
We got the beat
We got the beat
Yeah
We got the beat
Everybody get on your feet
We know you can dance to the beat
Jumpin' - get down
Round and round and roun
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 01:37 AM   #9
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Here's a little dream I'll share with you all. Promise you wont think I'm crazy(er)? Fair enough.

Much of the time I remember my dreams and think back to them the next day. Most of the time they arent frightening. This one was though.

The dream started as I went to work ( my shitjob ) and entered the door to the plant. Every single thing was normal until reaching the main floor with all of the other workers.

As I walked past the groups of people, they would stare. In amazement at first, then increasingly with horror. As more people saw me walking past, they would stop what they were doing and stare right at me. Soon the entire group was standing still just watching me.

As you might imagine, this was a little weird and beginning to be downright scary.

I continued walking to punch the time clock and finally said " What!? What the hell are you looking at !? "

There was one woman that said quietly " We just all thought you were dead."

That was horrifying enough but the look on the faces of the rest of the group was of total disbelief that I was indeed there.....alive. It was almost as if everyone there had actually seen me die.

Thats pretty damn scary. If I am going to die, I really hope it isnt at the fucking shitjob.

If I was really thinking in the dream I would have replied " No, no....I cant die, if I miss any work I'll get demerit points and lose my raise"
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 01:44 AM   #10
wolf
lobber of scimitars

You've got to cut out the chili just before bedtime.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 01:50 AM   #11
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

I thought that only applied to pizza. So noted.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:51 AM   #12
juju
no one of consequence

Slang, I wouldn't say that's a prophetic dream. I think it's a manifestation of some sort of intense fear you have. Maybe not necessarily a fear of death. It could be about something else that's bothering you, and the emotion and worry just got transferred into this medium.

But I just made that up, so I could be wrong.

---

edit: no, fuck this wishy-washy shit. I'm pretty sure I'm right.

Last edited by juju; 02-11-2004 at 01:53 AM.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 01:54 AM   #13
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

What ever the case may really be, I dont know. I dont take a lot of chances doing anything risky at work though.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:19 AM   #14
quzah
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

I have dreams from time to time where I realize in the dream that I'm dreaming. So I wake myself up from it. But I don't really wake up. The dream continues, dreaming, that you've woken up from a dream. Then you again realize that you're dreaming, some time later in the dream, and then wake yourself up again.

I also have dreams that I realize they're dreams, not pleasant dreams, so I do actually wake myself up. It's like a sudden realization that you HAVE TO wake up NOW. In the dream I'll start screaming "WAKE UP! WAKE UP! WAKE UP!" and I'll jerk awake. Kinda freaky.

Once as a child my mother woke me up to go to school. I fell back asleep immediately, and had a dream that I was getting ready for school. I got dressed, ate breakfast, gathered up my stuff. The works. Only to be rudely woken up again because I was going to be late. Talk about starting a day off bad. Having to get ready for school twice in one morning...

Quzah.
quzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 05:58 AM   #15
Pi
desperate finder

Quote:
Originally posted by quzah

Once as a child my mother woke me up to go to school. I fell back asleep immediately, and had a dream that I was getting ready for school. I got dressed, ate breakfast, gathered up my stuff. The works. Only to be rudely woken up again because I was going to be late. Talk about starting a day off bad. Having to get ready for school twice in one morning...
Oh I know this dream. It's horrible!!!
Pi is offline   Reply With Quote