The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 12-16-2009, 09:41 AM   #1
chrisinhouston
Professor

Bandwidth speed? good or bad

Can someone explain my numbers? Seems like today my computer is taking forever to load web pages or download email, so I went to the WWW.speakeasy.net site and did a couple of tests and most of them are coming up with numbers in this range:

download: 8350 kbps
upload: 525 kbps.

I get my internet through a cable modem and am happy with my service most of the time. The provider is Sudden Link which is not a big company but seems to provide service in the eastern part of Texas between Houston and Dallas.

I just want to sound like I know what I'm talking about if I call their tech dept to ask for them to check my area for issues.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

IMO this isn't telling you that you have a problem or what it is. (The numbers themselves are respectable; whether they're good or not depends on what you're paying for. If you have a 10mbit plan, the 8350 number is close as good as you'll get. If you have 25mbit, not so much--though it may still be normal.)

The other problem is that the more computers and network links you introduce, the more variables you have. Speakeasy isn't even on your cable co's network, and while their speed test is good for what it is, there are a ton of factors involved in the stuff getting from your computer back to you cable company and then over to Speakeasy that can affect the results of the test.

If you're getting 8350kbps down that should be enough for good performance for most uses. The 525 sounds a little smaller, but again for most home use it shouldn't cause you trouble.

The issue is most likely something on your computer, or some issue elsewhere on the internet, possibly under your cable co's control, possibly not.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:26 AM   #3
chrisinhouston
Professor

Yes, I'm beginning to think it's just a computer issue because my other machines are running pretty normal. Maybe a reboot will help.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote