The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

simple network hardware question

OK folks. I am trying to run an ethernet cable from my router in the house all the way (about 75 feet) out to my RV so I can have net access out there for a few devices, namely a Blu-ray DVD player and a computer or two.

I know I need a gigabit switch to put multiple devices out there but my issue is more basic. How do I get the cable into the camper without drilling a hole? Should I McGuyver a receptacle on the camper? Drill a hole and seal it real good and make a pigtail? I refuse to run it through a window and compromise the weather seal. Is there an option I haven't thought of?

Ideas appreciated. I am worried that long runs of cable and breaks in the line for removable connections can lead to line losses and data loss.

Thank you!
Old 12-02-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianR View Post
How do I get the cable into the camper without drilling a hole? Should I McGuyver a receptacle on the camper? Drill a hole and seal it real good and make a pigtail? I refuse to run it through a window and compromise the weather seal. Is there an option I haven't thought of?
Make a removable connection on the camper that is inside a weather tight box. These can be found in the various internet companies that specialize in communication cables, connectors, etc.

The hole is inevitable. However, get electrical putty to seal the hole from both sides. The hole should be the size of a wire (not larger which means attaching a connector after the wire is installed). Located where not exposed to weather. Best is behind that weather tight box. The hole also should be deburred with a round file before installing an ethernet cable.

Don't worry about connectors. At 75 feet, the connection is quite short. Be more concerned about wire that is exterior grade.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

There are already access holes, no? Look around where the water, electric, etc. enter and see if you can piggyback there somehow.

If you do drill a hole, make sure to put a grommet in. Wind etc. will slice your cable on the metal eventually.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Can you go wireless?
Old 12-02-2011, 03:42 PM   #5
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

IIRC, Grainger.com has all kinds of enclosures for this type of application.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:14 AM   #6
GunMaster357
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato View Post
There are already access holes, no? Look around where the water, electric, etc. enter and see if you can piggyback there somehow.
Be careful about that because electricity can cause interference in your ethernet cable. I remember having a lot of trouble with a customer network some years ago until until I realised cables were running past a big three-phased wire. Moving ethernet cables away solved the problem.

Personally, I'd try to go wireless.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:10 PM   #7
BrianR

Wireless is not a possibility due to the siding interfering with the signal. Tried that already!

I want the ethernet because it can handle the needed bandwidth for TV (Netflix etc) and my internet usage at the same time.

TW's solution is pretty much what I was thinking. I've been checking the RV stores but no one seems to have the proper (read: recessed) box for a camper. Sure, I can drill a hole and put in a grommet and seal it and even put in a weatherproof box, my concern here is packet loss over that long a run plus the connection might be noisy.

I was hoping there was a engineer-type who knows more than I do about these things. Data is not the same as electricity.

THanks
Old 12-03-2011, 12:13 PM   #8
BrianR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato View Post
Yes, there are electrical, water and cable TV connections but oddly, no RJ11 or RJ45. I can buy a recessed connection for RJ11 but not RJ45.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:10 PM   #9
gvidas
Hoodoo Guru

I think this is what you want:

http://www.digikey.com/us/en/ph/Assm...Connector.html

Half-inch knockout or square flush mount, with a threaded section around the RJ45 to make it fully waterproof when connected.
gvidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #10
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Dont drill thru the side unless you Have to , drill underneath the trailer thru the floor , put the eathernet cable in pipe , Pvc will be fine , go to lowes , they have Cat5 cable , connecter kits for the ends , or 75 and 100 foot pre made cables
Old 12-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #11
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

BestBuy has 50' ethernet cables for under $6. Maybe $8, I cant recall. In colors.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #12
mbpark
Lecturer

Grainger is your friend

Get the box and run it under your trailer, and find a hole for it. I'd also seal up that hold where it goes in the box. Directron in TX has Gig-E switches for $25. I'd also look for some high-end cables (nothing Best Buy would carry) with a strong outer jacket so that it's harder for critters to chew into it (http://www.turck-usa.com/illustrations/B3026_J20.pdf).

Better yet, get a second router, run DD-WRT on it, and run it in the trailer so you don't have to have wires all over the place.
mbpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:09 PM   #13
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianR View Post
I can buy a recessed connection for RJ11 but not RJ45.
Internet is chock full of companies that sell data cables, connectors, peripheral equipment ... and weathertight RJ45 type boxes and connectors. Or go to Digikey, Allied Electronics, Jameco, Mouser, or Newark Electronics for this stuff. More companies that come to mind are Black Box, Showmecables.com and, well, some of this stuff can even be purchased direct from Singapore or China.

As I said, your connection is so short as to be trivial - no problem. Worry more about water, exterior grade cable, etc. Worry zero about data degradation if the cable is Cat-5 exterior grade. And if connectors at both end are weather tight.

Grommet means water gets into unpainted surfaces (rusting) created by drilling. Electrician's putty is one superior solution. Or view the so many weathertight connectors from the so many above retail sources. See Heyco.com or turck.com as example. Consider solutions that include strain relief and that include nylon to avoid sharp wire bending (if necessary). Sharp wire bends are destructive both electrically and 'dataly'.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #14
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

'dataly'.

TW Made a FUNNY !!!!!
Old 12-03-2011, 11:14 PM   #15
tw

Logic knows no humor.