The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 07-19-2007, 10:32 PM   #1
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Self-hypnosis

Does anyone practice or have tried self-hypnosis? I have looked up articles on how to do it but I would like some personal experiences if possible.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:39 AM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I have tried it. Years ago, it was a way of coping with the constant itch/pain of severe eczema. I used to manage it quite well, get myself into a state of near-hypnosis, I think. I don't know if it was truly a hypnotic state. I had nothing to measure it against, except my own expectations of hypnosis.

I tried it again recently but I haven't' managed it. Can't quite find that depth of relaxation now.

What particular kind of self-hypnosis are you looking into? (methodology, purpose etc))
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:27 AM   #3
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

There are some small problems that I am hoping to solve through hypnosis that I haven't managed to get around to yet. When you get into hypnosis and you repeat a phrase like "I will be more efficient with my time", it should ingrain into your subconscious and help solve that problem. I am also hoping it will help refresh me since I don't get a lot of sleep.

I can get myself into a physical state of complete relaxation pretty easily but I haven't gotten into a mental hypnosis so hopefully I can breach that sometime.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:41 AM   #4
glatt

My mom had/has this thing where when she gets a little stressed out, her throat feels like it's closing up and on fire, and she needs to cough. So she coughs a lot. Really kind of weird. When I grew up she was always coughing. It's just what she did.

So at some point she figured out that stress was a trigger. She went to a hypnotherapist and worked with him. He taught her an exercise where if she felt stressed out and a coughing spell was coming on, she would think of a safe relaxing place. She chose a mental image of a nice cool shaded mountain stream as her special place. So when she feels like coughing she thinks of a nice cool shaded mountain stream, the stress is reduced, and the need to cough goes away.

Well, it had an unintended side effect. She travels a fair amount, and I've been with her where we were standing near a cool mountain stream, and she's just standing there coughing for no reason. Now, pretty much any time she's near one, she'll be coughing.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:36 AM   #5
smurfalicious
Tool. Not the band - you are one.

For most of my life I was horribly, horribly shy. A couple years ago I got tired of being a grown adult with such terrible shyness issues, and a friend gave me a cd with some sort of self-hypnosis for overcoming shyness. I was skeptical but kept an open mind.

I can never remember anything more than the first few minutes of the cd - I honestly can't say whether it's teaching me to get over shyness or hop on one leg and bark like a dog at the full moon. Eventually I wake up, I feel refreshed, and that's it.

Perhaps the self-hypnosis worked, or perhaps it's the power of positive thinking, or maybe I just finally got tired of always being the wallflower too shy to speak, but I've experienced such drastic changes since then. I very often speak my mind and initiate conversations, thinks that were previously out of character for me.

I still struggle with some self esteem issues and occasionally feel unwarranted intimidation and shyness , thought it isn't nearly as bad as it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Now, pretty much any time she's near one, she'll be coughing.
And Glatt - that's crazy!!!

Last edited by smurfalicious; 07-20-2007 at 08:37 AM. Reason: duh, forgot something
smurfalicious is offline   Reply With Quote