The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
chrisinhouston
Professor

A new GPS

I finally broke down and ordered a new GPS. I got my first one which I am just replacing in 2005 or so. It's a Tom Tom Go 710. After 4 years I had to replace the battery which required taking it apart as Tom Tom does not repair anything, only replace things under warranty or suggest you buy a new one if they are out of warranty.

Now the mount won't work so I said it is time to upgrade. I do use a phone GPS but sometimes phone signals are bad and I try not to focus on a phone in my hand when I should be looking at the road. I like Tom Tom overall and I especially like the civilized British voice of Jane who tells me to enter the motorway, etc. Also I take my GPS to other countries and it really helps to get around.

Anyway, not wanting to pay full price I found a Tom Tom Go 2535 which has a 5 inch screen and touch features like most smart phones for managing maps. They go for $250 new and I got a refurbished one for $90 with a full warranty on Ebay.
Attached Images

chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That's a nice piece... cheap too.

It seems to me you were talking about a new phone awhile back, but I can't find the thread so I'll stick this here.
DeLorme AG-009871-201 inReach SE Two-Way Satellite Communicator with GPS
Quote:
*Send and receive 160 character free-form text messages to and from cellular phones, email contacts, and other inReach users. View incoming messages directly on screen.
*On-board color screen and a virtual keyboard allow you to send & receive text messages , operate service modes, and configure user settings without the need for a companion device
*Interactive SOS. Send & receive custom text messages directly with the *emergency response center to describe your situation in detail, improve
emergency response, and stay in touch for mutual status updates. All from a single device.
*The sending indicator appears when the inReach SE is sending or receiving messages or track points
*Pair with a smartphone or tablet to access downloadable topographic maps and NOAA charts. Unlike streaming maps, downloaded DeLorme maps remain cached in the Earthmate app even when outside cellular coverage
Works from anyplace on Earth with line of sight to the sky.
The service, $10 a month (12-month commitment) lets you place unlimited SOS alerts and includes 10 text messages a month.
Or for $65 (four-month minimum, like foreign trips), allows up to 120 messages and unlimited tracking.

Good for those oh-shit moments, in places off the beaten track that you photographers seem to like.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
chrisinhouston
Professor

No I replaced my iPhone 3GS last summer with the Samsung 3GS that just came out and am happy with it. I also got an Asus Transformer Prime/Infinity or whatever and I like it too.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
chrisinhouston
Professor

I really just got this for directions to Newark!
Old 05-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Newark, I was right with the liking to go dangerous places.