The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 05-22-2016, 04:06 PM   #1
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Hypothetical bittorent RIAA question

First of all I want to go on record to say that, if my pal Bugsy was in this oven, downloading torrents, would I turn on the gas?

Not convinced? What if I threw this lit match inside the oven? Would you believe me then?

OK, I have this friend, who knows a guy, who read about this in The Enquirer see? and he likes to download various stuff from bittorrent sites from public wifi spots, and he has for years with no problem. The other day, he tells me that his browser was hijacked by time warner saying that downloading of copyrighted material to his ip was reported by a copyright holder. There was a link to click saying something to the effect of I'm aware of it and taking steps to make it stop.

The browser was basically frozen until he clicked the link; every new tab would be the same message.

So, he clicked the link and things went back to normal. But now he is wondering about spoofing his ip, or using Tor, or paying for a VPN, or just saying fuck it and not downloading any new popular songs (he suspects it was this as he does not care for anything recorded within the last 10 years.

He's read that one is not suppposed to use Tor to download, but can he download the .torrent or the magnet link and then use deluge, for example, to download the content? Or would deluge show his ip?

What the fuck is he talking about? It's all gibberish to me. But apparently he's falling behind on his programs.

He may of may no be running linux mint 17.3
Old 05-22-2016, 08:38 PM   #2
Pamela
Deplorable

RIAA is known to police bittorrent and related sites regularly. They sometimes offer content for download to collect IPs and, when they find one in the US, send such warnings.

RIAA does not kid around. They will track you down and sue you into bankruptcy. I would take such a warning seriously. Use a vpn from now on, Bugsy. Tor is not really secure anyway, as the FBI and NSA have virtually taken over the node network. Also, flush your cookies, as they may have left a tracking cookie on your computer. If you have a backup dating from before the warning, restore to that, to be more sure. Hypothetically, of course.

I suggest using what I use. It's scary, but legit and in five years, nary a problem. goldenmp3.ru Yes, a Russian site, with a Chinese biller no less. Your credit card processor WILL flag this the first time. The music catalog is good, cheap and they usually find albums for me in less than a week.

Just a suggestion.
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:36 AM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Pay Chinese and Russian hackers so you can get a copy of "Galveston".

What are you people, on dope? (-Mr. Hand)

If you have to pay, go legit! Spotify premium is only $10/month and the benefits to music listeners are tremendous.

It's entirely worth it. Because using it you can find music made in the last ten years that is so good it makes you cheer for humanity.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:44 PM   #4
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Out of curiosity, if he is connecting via public wifi, how is his ip connected to him?
Old 05-23-2016, 10:37 PM   #5
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Time Warner Cable probably operates the public WiFi and is actually attempting to protect it by trying to convince you not to use up their free resource (by downloading the content that the other part of the company owns)

Meanwhile you should be aware that your hardware address, what's called the MAC, is hardwired into your network port and will be transmitted on all network activity that leaves your laptop.

Spotify announced new family plans today, up to six people for $14.99 link
Old 05-24-2016, 05:05 AM   #6
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Nice!
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:37 AM   #7
glatt

Spotify is a streaming service, isn't it? If foot's friend only accesses the internet occasionally from a public wifi, that's not going to work for him unless he's at the wifi.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:02 AM   #8
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

You can download up to 3,333 songs for offline listening, on up to three devices for a limit of 9,999 offline songs.

Even *I* might be satisfied with that.

link
Old 05-24-2016, 06:36 PM   #9
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

3,330 songs, that's great! Now what about old movies and such? Probably no one cares if someone downloads, let's say, Lair of the White Worm.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:16 PM   #10
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
First of all I want to go on record to say that, if my pal Bugsy was in this oven, downloading torrents, would I turn on the gas?
Ah, ya might, rabbit, ya might.[/Irishcopaccent]

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote