The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-15-2010, 04:04 AM   #1
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Icelandic Volcano - Travel Affeted

Firstly - sorry for the typo in the title.
Trust me, it upsets me more than it does you. Really.

From the Beeb.

Quote:
Airline passengers are facing massive disruption across the UK after an ash cloud from a volcanic eruption in Iceland grounded planes.

Airports operator BAA said all flights in and out of Heathrow, Stansted and Gatwick would be suspended from midday.
Bothered?
Not really.
But the 'rents and my sister's family are at Alicante airport. The one benefit of a package holiday is that you have a rep to look after you. Not in this case. They had no word of the trouble until they got to the airport. Mum is steaming mad. She chewed my ear off on the phone about how bad the rep was, then when I called back with a helpline number and (their) advice re compensation she said she didn't care about compensation she just wanted to know when she'd get home. Sigh.

I know it can't be any fun of course. Two OAPs, two juveniles - one of whom is my completely hyper nephew - and two people who need to get back here to go back to work. My Dad's the most sanguine of the bunch and he'll get a strip ripped off him if he ventures an opinion.

My heart goes out to them. And I'm also thinking - yay! A couple more hours to clean the house! And - yay! I went to Amsterdam instead of on this trip with them.

Yeah, I know.
Satan? If you're at the bar, get a round in, I'll be with you soon.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:12 AM   #2
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Sorry to hear that your mum and dad are caught up in the current problems. Years ago, I used to work in aviation and still take a passing interest in it. As many of the routes in and out of Luton and Heathrow pass over the locality, it is rare that there is not an airliner or two visible. They don't cause much noise but the current silence is eerily noticeable. I shall just have to content myself with watching the Red Kites in the area.

If you've been watching the TV news it is likely that you have heard mention of Capt. Eric Moody who was in command of a BA 747 near Indonesia back in 1982. All four engines ingested volcanic ash and turned the aircraft into a glider. They did get them going again but they were so badly damaged that they were scrapped. It is rumoured that, being British, he paused during the engine re-light drill to take tea

Carruthers
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:29 AM   #3
glatt

Does the sky look different there right now?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:44 AM   #4
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
No, there's nothing to be seen that is out of the ordinary at all.
Typical Spring day, lumps of fair weather Cu floating about and a cool breeze. I understand that sunsets can be quite spectacular under the current circumstances, so if that should be the case I'll report back later.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

SG, I don't quite understand who your mum is steaming mad at. The volcano manager?

I've been walking around for the last few weeks saying "Eyjafjallajokull." Things like that stick in my head.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:16 AM   #6
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Nope, just like any other London day

Old 04-15-2010, 11:27 AM   #7
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Eyjafjallajokull!

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:11 PM   #8
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Nope, just like any other London day

Photoshopped!
Old 04-15-2010, 01:00 PM   #9
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

HLJ, I love my Mum but she spends most of her waking hours angry and/ or frustrated about something.
(Yeah, I haven't helped that really...!)

They have another night in the hotel. It's all-inclusive and they have continued to be treated as all-inclusive guests. She sounded positively jolly last time I spoke to her. Spirit of the Blitz and all that. Once she accepts a situation she's completely stoic and great company. It's just the bit beforehand that you have to watch out for.

I'm taking Grandad to his Audiology appointment at the hospital tomorrow afternoon. We agreed over tea and crumpets today. He very solemnly told me "You'll need to make me a sandwich before we go, so that I can have it as soon as I come home." Yes Grandad. Cheese and tomato tomorrow. And a toasted slice of fruitloaf.

At least now when Mum goes away Grandad can't claim not to be eating. I tempt him with olde Englishe fayre until he can't resist.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:10 PM   #10
CzinZumerzet
.....short for Caz

Just a touch quieter here because aircraft turn right here for Bristol, and left for Cardiff, and this might last 'til Friday. We are promised spectacular sunsets tomorrow and if they are I'll post some piccies.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:30 AM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You can see on real time tracking, there's nothing flying near Britain.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:17 AM   #12
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Had another call from Mum this morning. They still haven't seen a rep, are paying for their hotel on their Barclaycard and are unsure of when (or IF says Mum, oh the melodrama) they will get home.

I'm on hold to the travel company to see if I can get them any info.

Mum's also worried because my sister has high blood pressure and forgot to take her tablets with her. It was less of an issue when it was just for a couple of days, but with all the stress she's convinced herself that Laura is going to have a heart attack. Sigh.

In better news, I had a call from my bro, who is in Japan. We had a good laugh about the situation, which we agree is not funny at all.

Taking Grandad to the hospital for an appointment this afternoon.
If they're not back by tomorrow I also have to sort all his tablets out for him for the next week. I've promised Mum I won't kill him. I don't think believes me.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:28 AM   #13
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

You know, your sis is more likely to have a stroke than a heart attack if her BP gets too high.

If you tell your mum that, do you think it'd help?
Old 04-16-2010, 04:43 AM   #14
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I've just got through to Cosmos.
They can't come back til the 22nd!
That's a whole extra week and Gary has run out of pants...

Couldn't get through to either of their mobiles, so perhaps Laura has already had her stroke....

Anyway, the Area Manager has Mum's correct mobile number now. No good because her phone is off, but I've left a message too. They shouldn't be paying for the hotel - they should have been contacted. The Manager will contact the hotel and hold the rooms for them. So at least they have bed and board. I expect I'll have to do some ringing round for them - to the schools, to their work places and to whoever is looking after the cat.

Blimey - they might even miss Uncle John's funeral at this rate.
What a carve up.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:00 AM   #15
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
Mum's also worried because my sister has high blood pressure and forgot to take her tablets with her.
I'm not widely travelled, especially to the EU, but is there any chance that the EU reciprocal agreement on medical treatments could help here?