The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 12-17-2008, 10:14 PM   #1
Ruminator
Ohio fisherman

West Borneo Basket Gods

Something to ponder from one of my books of christian missionaries accounts of their experiences comes this related to our discussion of Ouija boards.

It is described as a counterpart of the Ouija board, and is a simple basket used with a pencil and piece of paper.
Here is the missionary's account in their own words.

- "Regular times are appointed for summoning this "god" or rather demon to answer their questions.
One or more people hold a woven basket on their upturned palms, with a pen or pencil loosely tied to the basket handle. When a question is asked, the basket tips over slowly and the pen writes the answer on a sheet of paper held by another participant.
Sometimes the pen and paper are put into a covered basket and the demon answers the questions by writing on the paper.
After the demon has been invited by announcing the time in the lunar month, the basket holders know that the demon has arrived when the basket becomes heavy and moves of its own accord."
- Italics added by me

This approach would eliminate the possibility of human tampering such as can happen with a Ouija board.

There is quite an account that follows in the book of the missionary's personal experience with a particular family and others who were caught up in this form of divination in Sungai Duri, West Borneo.

At the time of its writing it sounds like it was a widespread practice.

"People never give each other enough credit for their contributions." ... a truer statement was never made.
- contributed by TheMercenary

Last edited by Ruminator; 12-17-2008 at 10:39 PM.
Ruminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:15 PM   #2
busterb
NSABFD

OK. Now I think I'll have another small. Drink =What
````
Old 12-18-2008, 12:39 AM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I'd like to see that.

That reminds me of a form of divination that predates the Ouija board. A very similar-looking planchette has a pencil sticking through the center. The participants put their hands on the planchette which sits on a piece of paper. The messages are given by the pencil writing on the paper. I think it's considered a form of automatic writing.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:14 AM   #4
Ruminator
Ohio fisherman

Thumbs up

Yes, as a matter of fact that very description of a planchette and Ouija board is given as the opening of the chapter just prior to the quote I posted.

Thanks wolf, your check is in the mail.

"People never give each other enough credit for their contributions." ... a truer statement was never made.
- contributed by TheMercenary
Ruminator is offline   Reply With Quote