The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 08-29-2005, 09:33 AM   #1
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Flattering article about me...

I was surprised this weekend to have someone send me an article that mentioned me without slamming me. It was actually complimentary and flattering.

Since this is so rare, I thought I'd share....

Birth of a New Civil Rights Movement

L.K. Samuels, LP Northern California Vice Chair

Just as Rosa Parks ignited the Civil Rights movement by refusing to move to the back of a segregated city bus in 1955, a new group of civil rights activists are refusing to let an increasingly intrusive government shove them to the back-burner. This mostly libertarian crowd is gearing up to taunt various government agencies into arresting them for things that most people would consider inoffensive.

Take the case of Mike Fisher, 23, of New Hampshire. On April 9 he walked in front of the Manchester office of the state Board of Barbering, Cosmetology and Esthetics and broke a law. His hideous crime? He filed a woman's nails without a government license. Fisher endured a night in jail and was ordered to conduct himself with "good behavior" for one year. But Fisher has decided to get others to commit more far-reaching acts of civil disobedience. He has persuaded Russell Kanning of the Free State Project to refuse to show identification when he takes his next airline flight and to make sure everyone knows about it. Fisher is hoping that other airline patrons will join this peaceful protest.

In Los Angeles, Paul Ireland was arrested at the annual April 15th anti-tax demonstration sponsored by various libertarian organizations. His appalling crime? Ireland refused to disperse when a Postal official ordered him to leave the outside grounds. He and others were told to leave because they needed a permit to protest. Ireland refused to budge, arguing that he was on public property and "did not need a permit to exercise his rights." The Postal employee demanded that Ireland walk inside the Post Office so he could be
arrested. Again, he refused, but the government official pushed and twisted at his arm until, with TV cameras rolling, he complied. Inside, he was handcuffed and waited an hour for the Los Angeles Police Department to show up. The police were miffed. They said they had never arrested anyone for such a "crime".

During the 2004 Republican Convention in New York City, the Libertarian Party of Manhattan organized an "unauthorized protest" in Central Park. The government required that all demonstrators get permits for rallies and marches, but often refused to grant them. They wanted demonstrators to be contained in "Free-Speech Zones," as had happened at the Democratic Convention. The Libertarians refused to comply. They claimed that the only permit they needed was the First Amendment. One organizer remarked, "If you have to ask the government for permission to protest, you deserve to be told no." Protestors wore T-shirts that read: "Permits? We don't need no stinking permit!" Park officials watched the protestors cautiously, but did not expel anyone from the park except for an unauthorized street vendor selling sodas out of a cooler.

Even one of the 2004 presidential candidates, Michael Badnarik of the Libertarian Party, was arrested outside the 2nd Presidential Debate in St. Louis. Claiming that it was illegal for a debate funded by public money to exclude third-party candidates * especially a candidate listed on the ballot in 49 states * Badnarik crossed the police barricades to serve an "Order to Show Cause" to the Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD). Issued by an Arizona judge, the order sought to remedy the exclusion of other candidates at the 3rd Presidential Debate in Tempe, Arizona. Earlier that day Badnarik campaign staffers had attempted to serve the same papers at the Washington, D.C. office of the CPD. However, security guards blocked them from entering. In frustration, Badnarik decided to cross the police line to protest his exclusion from the two-party debate, arguing that his free speech had been violated.

Rosa Parks did not intentionally challenge racism or government-imposed segregation. She was merely too exhausted to move to the back of the bus when more whites stepped inside. Nonetheless, she sparked a freedom movement that changed America forever. Another such movement is poised to change it again.

Last edited by Radar; 08-29-2005 at 12:12 PM.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 10:04 AM   #2
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar
The Postal employee demanded that Ireland walk inside the Post Office so he could be arrested. Again, he refused, but the government official pushed and twisted at his arm until, with TV cameras rolling, he complied. Inside, he was handcuffed and waited an hour for the Los Angeles Police Department to show up.
This really is amazing - to be force-bundled inside the Post Office. Over here that sort of thing just wouldn't happen - the counters are so badly managed that there are always too many queuing people crowding inside. Couldn't even contemplate there being enough space to swing a parcel, let alone a hand-cuffed protester. Shame also you didn't see them coming with the cuffs - presume you were unemployed at the time - i.e Radar wasn't working...?
Old 08-29-2005, 11:09 AM   #3
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Actually I wasn't and still am not unemployed. I was watching the video tape of my arrest the other day with my boss. My boss immediately noticed I was wearing my work badge and it was clearly visible on the video. That was pretty funny.

I saw them coming, and I knew I'd be arrested. I didn't struggle except to push against them so they could arrest me outside. But they wanted to arrest me inside the building away from cameras. After talking to a lawyer, he told me I have a strong case against them if I want to sue for the violation of my civil rights.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:29 PM   #4
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Look, you guys...either declare a revolution and get on with it, or submit to the will of your Lords and Masters in Washington. What do you think this is, a freaking free country or something?
Old 08-29-2005, 12:41 PM   #5
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

hell yeah, Radar! sue the bastards!
Old 08-29-2005, 12:41 PM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
My boss immediately noticed I was wearing my work badge and it was clearly visible on the video.
Lottsa bosses wouldn't react like yours. That is a stroke of good fortune for you.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:31 PM   #7
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclefrance
Shame also you didn't see them coming with the cuffs - presume you were unemployed at the time - i.e Radar wasn't working...?

Quote:
Actually I wasn't and still am not unemployed....I saw them coming, and I knew I'd be arrested.

Just goes to prove an old quandary once and for all, that British humo(u)r might not travel that well... we now know it doesn't.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:02 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Shame also you didn't see them coming with the cuffs - presume you were unemployed at the time - i.e Radar wasn't working...?
I got it.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:15 PM   #9
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Two country divided by the same language?
Old 08-29-2005, 08:35 PM   #10
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

sounds like you were kidnapped to me. hmmmmm......
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 12:41 AM   #11
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
I got it.
My saviour! Now what shall I do first? loosten the rope or get down from the chair? Rope, chair? chair, rope? Yeah, chair first I thi-
Old 08-30-2005, 10:30 AM   #12
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
My saviour! Now what shall I do first? loosten the rope or get down from the chair? Rope, chair? chair, rope? Yeah, chair first I thi-
*snif* He was funny, right there at the end.