The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 09-17-2003, 06:29 PM   #1
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

XP LAN help needed

OK, so I finally broke down and bought a router (D-Link DI-604). Hooked it all up to two computers, one running XP Pro (mine) the other running XP home (Steve's box)

Both comps are online through the router, but for some reason, the whole "home network" thing refuses to happen. I've checked the MS help files, and I've called on all the knowledge that nearly 3 years as a broadband internet tech has to offer, and I still can't figure out why this frigging LAN won't work.

When I go to "My Network Places" (MNP), I see my shared folders and some FTP folders. I click on "Add a new network place" and it searches briefly, then comes up with the MSN butterfly and "Choose another network", which I do. I then browse, and get an "entire network" and then my shared folders. I click on entire network and then get a Microsoft Windows Network option. I choose that, my workgroup appears. Choose that, my computer sits there pretty as you please, but Steve's is no where to be found.

I assumed this means it's Steve's comp having the problem.

Iclick on My Network Places on Steve's box and get only an FTP folder.. I click on "Add a netwrok place" it does the search thingy, and I "choose another network".

When I browse, I see entire network, click it, get MS Windows Network, and see my workgroup. (same as the one on my machine.) When I click the workgroup name, nothing happens. I don't get Steves machine displayed. Like it's not in the Workgroup.

So I went to the computer name area, and click change to make sure the workgroup is correct. It is. So I went back the MNP and chose "View Network Computers". Nothing is in there.

I've made sure his C: drive is shared and that the XP firewall is off on both machines. Made sure his Norton Personal Firewall is NOT starting up with the machine. Still nothing.

How the hell do I get this thing into the workgroup? I KNOW it's something simple I've over looked...

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 07:40 PM   #2
dave

Try going by IP address and share name in an Explorer location bar, such as

\\192.168.1.2\share

Obviously, make sure those are correct.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:00 PM   #3
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Even thought I've set C: and his "my docs" folder as shared, it's not displaying in this "my network places" area. It's like he's not on the workgroup, and nothing is shared. grr.

I've checked the MS support page. I've got his "My doc"s folder shared, as per the page, but it does NOT show up in the "my network places" folder. So that's the point at which the support page becomes not useful.

~Franklin D. Roosevelt

Last edited by OnyxCougar; 09-17-2003 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:26 PM   #4
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I'm sure you are smarter than this, but...have you named the workgroup the exact same thing on both computers?
Old 09-17-2003, 08:36 PM   #5
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

yes I have

I can't figure out why the shared folders are not showing up in my network places or why when I go to view workgroup computers the window comes up blank, it shows me in the correct workgroup but there is nothing listed.

~Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 09-17-2003, 09:30 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm is an excellent XP resource.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:00 PM   #7
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

ok, This page was a little better. I did a ping test on my comp (192.168.0.100) and got a reply. Did a ping on his (192.168.0.101) and got request times out. Shouldn't I be able to hit his comp from inside the network?

He can ping me, but not himself.

~Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 09-17-2003, 10:08 PM   #8
Cam
dripping with ignorance

I was having the same problem with my roommates computer a while ago. The problem is that at the time I was more concerned trying to get my Samba Shares working with his box and wasn't too concerned with our workgroup sharing. Somehow though I managed to make it work. The only thing I can think of that might be causing a problem is lack of Windows File and Print Sharing, but I'm assuming you're smarter than that and have it already installed.

[edit]

Don't know why I even bothered posting this :shrug:
Old 09-17-2003, 10:24 PM   #9
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

After much discussion and me finally putting my foot down, Steve uninstalled Norton personal firewall.

He restarted. All is now well.

It wasn't in the startup, it wasn't in the processes, but it was ON THE MACHINE. And that was enough.

Other than feeling like a big goober (I should have tried that first...I know better)... thanks to those who tried to help.

PEBCAK is a bitch.

~Franklin D. Roosevelt

Last edited by OnyxCougar; 09-17-2003 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:43 PM   #10
dave

(For those who don't know, PEBCAK is short for Problem Exists Between Computer And Keyboard -or- Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard)
Old 09-17-2003, 10:55 PM   #11
Elspode

I assume you are firewalled by a broadband router anyway, no? In that case, you should be fairly adequately protected as long as your XP versions are fully patched and you are running a good virus scanner full time.

I haven't run a software based firewall since getting broadband three or four years ago, and I've never suffered a successful attack or hack. I do keep my OS and virus scanners pretty assiduously maintained, though.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:59 PM   #12
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Nahhh it was a PICNIC

Problem in Chair, not in Computer

At least you didn't have a diagnosed ID10t Error, I hear they're a real bitch to solve

Dagney

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 11:03 PM   #13
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

*giggle* Damn near I.D. Ten T. tho. That's what I told him, Els, which is how I convinced him to uninstall it.

~Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 09-18-2003, 09:39 AM   #14
Tobiasly
hot

I don't know as much about Windows networking, but maybe even though Norton firewall was disabled, maybe it had made some changes to the OS itself to block some stuff (like NetBIOS resolution) and uninstalling it changed that stuff back.

If he really wants to use it, you should rather easily be able to figure out which ports and services his firewall should allow. NetBIOS is port 139 or something like that. Samba's website (samba.org) probably has some good info on it; even though you're not using Samba, the SMB protocol is the same and Samba's main purpose is interaction with Windows machines.

But I'd agree that if the router has a decent firewall, firewalling each machine behind it may not be necessary.
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 04:55 PM   #15
Elspode

You probably don't really even need NetBios running to do your average home networking.

If you or your roomie want to test your safety, go to https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 , the home of Shields Up!

It will scan your IP, and report what it finds. There are some port-specific tests you can run as well to see if you need to further stealth any ports on your machine that might be open for one thing or another. It will even offer advice as to how to easily remedy some of the more common exposures you might be experiencing.