The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 04-10-2006, 08:14 PM   #1
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Breakthrough in Autoimmune Disease Research

From ABC News of 10 Apr 2006:
Quote:
Breakthrough in Autoimmune Disease Research
Before seeking out Dr. Richard Burt of Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Kathy Hammons could barely care for her children as a result of the effects of lupus, an autoimmune disease in which the body attacks itself. ...
His breakthrough procedure uses a patient's stem cells to treat extremely severe cases of lupus and other autoimmune diseases.

"We bring the patient in, and we give them chemo to destroy their immune system," Burt said. "And then right after the chemotherapy, we infuse the stems cells to make a brand-new immune system."

Since undergoing Burt's stem cell procedure, Hammons' lupus has been in remission.
This despite George Jr supporters who would destroy such research in the name of god.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:41 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Wow, that could help a whole lot of people........millions.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:41 PM   #3
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I read there was also recently a breakthrough in stem cell research, namely that they had successfully made stem cells from sperm, i.e., not a fertilized zygote and therefore a potentially limitless supply of stem cells with no political baggage.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:05 PM   #4
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
From ABC News of 10 Apr 2006: This despite George Jr supporters who would destroy such research in the name of god.
I think this therapy uses stem cells from the patient, not fetal cells.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:39 PM   #5
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

In am totally for stem cell research.

This american society seems so intolerant where it should be tolerant and too intolerant where it should not.

I would rather common sense and logic dictate instead of propganda and fear of law suits.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:54 AM   #6
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
I think this therapy uses stem cells from the patient, not fetal cells.
Religious extremists oppose all stem cell research because stem cell procedures might use sperm, egg, zygote, or fetal cells. Such they regard as satanic. Just another example of what satanism really is - people who would impose their pagan religion on all others to the detriment of mankind.

Maybe we should ask Terry Schiavo. They also somehow know she would still be alive if we only prayed harder. Good thing that god's chosen people - realists - in this case stem cell researchers - were not stopped by the most loyal supporters of George Jr. Same people who would even advocate a unilateral nuclear attack on Iran. These same poeple, given the oppurtunity, would halt all stem cell research in the name of a long since obsoleted book. They claim only god has the right to make life. And if man were intended to fly, he would have wings - also proved by the bible.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:05 AM   #7
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

It's kind of ironic that our government is so obsessed with developing the next most destructive way to wage war, gotta have it before "they" do mentality. Yet this new research of potentially curing diseases never thought possible is squashed outright by washington..

sad
Old 04-11-2006, 10:28 AM   #8
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

There's a whole long list of autoimmune diseases including Crohn's which a few of us here have. I hope this pans out.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:51 PM   #9
chainsaw
Wingnahningning... Er somethin'

Awesome Where do I sign up?
Old 04-11-2006, 06:20 PM   #10
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainsaw
Where do I sign up?
Probably not in Iowa where even Genesis (Intelligent Design) must be taught - by state law - in science class. Figure at least 5 years before this autoimmune procedure becomes available. It's called reality - or science. See the history of 'factory line' open heart surgery to appreciate how long.