The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 01-11-2003, 12:57 AM   #1
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Chicago? Instant Classic!

The wife and I went to see the new big screen musical "Chicago" this evening. If you are a lover of classic stage musicals (I am...and yes, I am straight), run, do not walk, to your local theater. I hadn't seen this particular musical on stage despite the fact that it has been around for something like 20 years, so it was all new to me.

The film has a distinct "Cabaret" feel to it, with its Roaring 20's Chicago setting centered around gin and jazz. Choreography is based on Bob Fosse's original, and it shows.

The performances are uniformly outstanding, the production numbers almost mind-numbingly strong and the pacing brisk. Although all the musical numbers are quite good, the hands down best (IMHO) goes to one of the simplest in the show. Delivered by John C. Reilly, "Mr. Cellophane" is earnest, perfectly emoted and very nearly heart rending, but the tango number earlier in the picture as well as the puppet courtroom number are also staggeringly well-done.

Most of you have probably heard the raves for Renee Zellweger's performance as Roxie Hart, but she is almost overshadowed by Catherine Zeta-Jones' portrayal of Velma Kelly. Take note - this woman can dance like mad and sing like a bird. This is a classic supporting performance by Ms. Jones; perhaps the best thing she's yet done on screen.

I've been looking forward to a hoped-for resurgence of quality film versions of musical theater pieces ever since "Moulin Rouge" made such a killing (another terrific piece of work, albeit a lot more hallucinogenic than "Chicago"). I think maybe we've seen that possibility begin to come to fruition.

Anyone else caught this yet? Opinions? Comments?