The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 06-05-2002, 12:56 PM   #1
thebecoming
Drawn Druid

DVD Deleted Scenes

Thought I d post something about how pissed I get at deleted scenes from dvds.

Now in movies such as "Snatch", every deleted scene has its place in the movie. It would have been EVEN better as a whole had they been left in. See where Im going with this?

Now I understand the fact that directors are under time constraints when they relase them to the theater, But in the format I wish they would just give us a directors cut with them added.

The extended podrace scene in "Episode one"...how cool was that? Shouldnt have been messed with...

All of Kevin Smiths movies {with the exception of Mallrats boooring original opening} would have been much better movies.
I laughed my ass of when in "Dogma", Bob tossed Jays baggie in the woods.

I know there are tons of examples, but as movie lengths climb into the stratosphere, I don't understand some directors vision, on what is necessary and what isn't.
Old 06-05-2002, 01:13 PM   #2
Tobiasly
hot

Oftentimes they have a purpose. Have you watched the deleted-scenes footage of The Sixth Sense, with M. Night talking about why they were deleted?

Good scenes, every one of them, but if the director has a reason for cutting them (other than time/money/etc. as was the case for the original Star Wars, for example) then they should stay cut. In the case of Ep. I, things were cut because they didn't want a 3-hour movie going to theaters, so restoring the scenes was a good thing.
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 02:49 PM   #3
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Re: DVD Deleted Scenes

Quote:
Originally posted by thebecoming

All of Kevin Smiths movies {with the exception of Mallrats boooring original opening} would have been much better movies.
"Jay and Silent Bob" would have been a lot funnier if the deleted scenes were restored. The commentary said it was mostly done because they were whoring to lose the NC-17 rating they started out with. But as it turned out GLAAD got ticked off at some of the "gay jokes" that completely changed in meaning because of some of the deleted scenes.

Last edited by MaggieL; 06-05-2002 at 03:11 PM.
MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 07:41 PM   #4
perth
Strong Silent Type

what pisses me off even more than that is the sudden appearance of a 'special edition' dvd mere months after i purchase the original. dogma, monty python and the holy grail, sixth sense and others. maybe its my fault, i dont keep up with the dvd 'scene' too much. just enough to know when a movie is coming out. i love the format and i love the special features, but i hate that they can get away with it. seems like everytime i look at the dvd rack at my local best buy, theres a new, improved, super ultra edition of a movie i bought 2 weeks ago. i blame george lucas. i dont know how many different copies of the original trilogy i have on video.

sorry bout the rant. just found out about the special edition lotr coming out in november after i preordered the one out in august. i know i could cancel the preorder and wait until november. but i cant wait to see that movie again and the powers that be know full well that i will pay for the special edition. and the boxed set. i guess im part of the problem.

~james

Last edited by perth; 06-06-2002 at 07:45 PM.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 10:51 PM   #5
Tobiasly
hot

I guess I consider myself lucky that I just really don't get into the DVD extras all that much. As long as the DVD has a good, high-quality transfer of the film in widescreen, and maybe a couple trailers, I'm happy.

I never have enough time to watch all my DVDs, let alone the extra stuff.
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote