Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 03-20-2007, 04:56 PM   #1
rkzenrage

Oregon teacher fired after veering from evolution textbook

Quote:
Oregon teacher fired after veering from evolution textbook
Published: March 20, 2007

The Associated Press

SISTERS — During his eight days as a part-time biology teacher at Sisters High School, Kris Helphinstine included Biblical references in material he provided to students and gave a PowerPoint presentation that made links between evolution, Nazi Germany and Planned Parenthood.

That was enough for the Sisters School Board, which fired the teacher Monday night for deviating from the curriculum on the theory of evolution.

"I think his performance was not just a little bit over the line," board member Jeff Smith said. "It was a severe contradiction of what we trust teachers to do in our classrooms."

Helphinstine, 27, said in a phone interview with The Bulletin newspaper of Bend that he included the supplemental material to teach students about bias in sources, and his only agenda was to teach critical thinking.

"Critical thinking is vital to scientific inquiry," said Helphinstine, who has a master's degree in science from Oregon State. "My whole purpose was to give accurate information and to get them thinking."

Helphinstine said he did not teach the idea that God created the world. "I never taught creationism," he said. "I know what it is, and I went out of my way not to teach it."

Parent John Rahm told the newspaper that he became concerned when his freshman daughter said she was confused by the supplemental material provided by Helphinstine.

"He took passages that had all kinds of Biblical references," Rahm said. "It prevented her from learning what she needed to learn."

Board members met with Helphinstine privately for about 90 minutes before the meeting. The teacher did not stay for the public portion.

"How many minds did he pollute?" Dan Harrison, the father of a student in Helphinstine's class, said at the meeting. "It's a thinly veiled attempt to hide his own agenda."

http://www.newsregister.com/news/sto...tory_no=219618

I wonder how many more out there are doing this on a regular basis with the school's quiet administrative approval? I live in an area where this kind of thing would be supported by many... not something I like to think about often, but do.
I like the "never taught creationism", cute.
His license should be revoked.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:21 PM   #2
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
Isn't that a little harsh? I think he should be shot in the fucking head. You failed at life. The end.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:33 PM   #3
freshnesschronic
Professor

I agree with separation of church and state. And this was definitely a violation of that and he shouldn't be teaching.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:58 PM   #4
Toymented
Without Explanation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
I wonder how many more out there are doing this on a regular basis with the school's quiet administrative approval? I live in an area where this kind of thing would be supported by many... not something I like to think about often, but do.
I like the "never taught creationism", cute.
I agree with you - this has no place in a public school.
Toymented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:37 PM   #5
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

The first line is what got me.

Quote:
and gave a PowerPoint presentation that made links between evolution, Nazi Germany and Planned Parenthood.
I know many teachers force their agendas on children but this is out of hand.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:32 AM   #6
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

I wonder who brainwashed the teacher? Whenever I see stuff like this I think: Now there's a guy who can't think for himself. And he's teaching hungry little minds.

Unfortunately, not all teachers of this ilk are as bold and get away with it their entire career.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:49 AM   #7
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie View Post
Unfortunately, not all teachers of this ilk are as bold and get away with it their entire career.
My brother is one of them. He asks his class (an advanced physics and engineering high school class) what the most important things they have learned in his class are. They throw out all these scientific things, and then he politely reminds them that the three most important things are:
1. monkeys are evil and are not to be trusted
2. do a semester or a year studying abroad when you are in college
3. something else that I can't remember but is equally random
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:55 AM   #8
Cloud

I don't think it's clear from the news story what the teacher was actually attempting to teach. From the details provided in the story, he could have been teaching creationism; or he could very well have been trying to teach critical thinking, like he said, by pointing out the absurdities in the creationism or intelligent design viewpoints.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:15 AM   #9
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

clear what he was attempting to teach

During his eight days as a part-time biology teacher at Sisters High School, Kris Helphinstine included Biblical references in material he provided to students and gave a PowerPoint presentation that made links between evolution, Nazi Germany and Planned Parenthood.

Eight days? It's not like he was a teacher for a whole year and after teaching regular curriculum he made an attempt to get them thinking outside the box. He started his propaganda from day one.

Teaching critical thinking. Very slimy attempt.

My history teacher taught us critical thinking by getting us to argue social issues but NOT religion. It's off limits for very obvious reasons.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:35 AM   #10
Cloud

poor judgment whatever his true agenda
Old 03-21-2007, 03:45 PM   #11
Skunks
I thought I changed this.

Poor response, whatever anyone's true agenda.

Quote:
"How many minds did he pollute?" Dan Harrison, the father of a student in Helphinstine's class, said at the meeting.
No idea that can legitimately stand on its own can be "polluted" by the presentation of an alternative point of view. I take more issue with the treatment of children as unthinking memorizer-zombies than with the brief murmur of religion.
Skunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:49 PM   #12
rkzenrage

Old 03-21-2007, 03:54 PM   #13
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunks View Post
Poor response, whatever anyone's true agenda.

No idea that can legitimately stand on its own can be "polluted" by the presentation of an alternative point of view. I take more issue with the treatment of children as unthinking memorizer-zombies than with the brief murmur of religion.
To be redundant:

During his eight days as a part-time biology teacher at Sisters High School, Kris Helphinstine included Biblical references in material he provided to students and gave a PowerPoint presentation that made links between evolution, Nazi Germany and Planned Parenthood.

Brief murmur? I don't think so!
Old 03-21-2007, 04:33 PM   #14
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

What is a Masters degree in "Science"?
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:34 PM   #15
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunks View Post
... No idea that can legitimately stand on its own can be "polluted" by the presentation of an alternative point of view. ...
Evolution can "legitimately stand on its own" according to an indisputable concensus, based on an overwhelming preponderance of evidence. It is under no threat from creationist claptrap, in the minds of educated adults. But we're talking about schoolchildren here, who are in a Science class. A transparent agenda to promote religious dogma is in no possible way "an alternative point of view" in a Science class.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote