The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-12-2006, 05:56 AM   #1
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Your vote was worth 200,000

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (Nov. 11) - An absentee ballot was mailed with what may have been a rare stamp worth as much as $200,000 -- the famous Inverted Jenny -- but the envelope is in a box that by law can't be opened.

Broward County Commissioner John Rodstrom discovered the stamp while reviewing absentee ballots. There was no name on the envelope, so the vote didn't count.

What looked like a small stamp collection on one envelope caught Rodstrom's eye about 8 p.m. Tuesday. At least one was from 1936, Rodstrom said. Then he noticed one had an upside-down World War I-era airplane - the hallmark of an Inverted Jenny.

"I was a stamp collector when I was little," Rodstrom told The Miami Herald. "I recognized it."

Rodstrom discussed the stamp with other members of the canvassing board, and a stamp-collecting Broward County sheriff's deputy overheard them talking about the possible Jenny.

He said the stamp would be very valuable if it was real. But it was too late.

"By that time we had already sealed the box. And once you seal the box, under the election law you can't unseal it," Broward County Court Judge Eric Beller said.

Elections officials will retain the ballot for 22 months, Jenny Nash, a spokeswoman for the Florida secretary of state's office, told The Associated Press. After that, any action is up to the county elections supervisor.

A telephone message left with Fred Bellis, the executive assistant to Broward County Supervisor of Elections Brenda Snipes, was not immediately returned Saturday.

Snipes' spokeswoman, Mary Cooney, said the supervisor is too busy with balloting to focus on the stamp. Cooney said ballots and materials are usually destroyed after the 22-month holding period.

"She's (Snipes) not going to be able to take any time to even look at it until after the (ballot) certification on Monday," Cooney told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Maynard Guss, president of the Sunrise Stamp Club, said an Inverted Jenny, if authentic, could be worth $200,000. But when the ballot was mailed the stamp was canceled, reducing its value. Guss estimated a canceled Jenny would likely sell for $20,000 to $100,000.

The 24-cent Jenny stamps were printed in 1918. Sheets were run through presses twice to process all the colors and on one pass, four went through backward. Inspectors caught the errors on three sheets and destroyed them, but somehow, a sheet of 100 stamps got through.

Stamp collectors have spent 88 years trying to find them all.

11/11/06 16:12 EST
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 06:47 AM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

...and didn't count. It seems like someone was making a statement, but I can't decipher it.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:09 AM   #3
skysidhe

I personally think grandma and grandpa didn't have a stamp and they had not been out of the house for a very very long time. oh, I think they went a rummagin in the old oak desk that required a skeleton key to get into. :p
Old 11-12-2006, 12:30 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I wonder if it was a current absentee ballot envelope? With multiple stamps on the envelope, it may have missed the cancellation....maybe.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:16 PM   #5
skysidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
I wonder if it was a current absentee ballot envelope? With multiple stamps on the envelope, it may have missed the cancellation....maybe.

If it was cancelled it's still worth $20,000 to $100,000.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:46 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yeah, but more gooder if it's not.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:17 PM   #7
skysidhe

hehe ya gooder!

wow, we'll never find out...she'll be too busy going to the bank.

Well just have to dream.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:07 PM   #8
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

So.....explain to me why the absentee ballots aren't just conted along with the rest?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:12 PM   #9
rkzenrage

They are used if they are needed to break a tie/close election.

That is a beauty... I am a lightweight philatelist. Love that stamp.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:20 PM   #10
DanaC

But.....okay, maybe I am just being silly, but why not just count them from the start? Why wait for a tie-break situation? They are peoples' votes.....
Old 11-13-2006, 05:25 PM   #11
rkzenrage

You are not being silly.
This is why I put myself through a great deal of pain sometimes, like this year, to vote in person.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:07 PM   #12
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC
So.....explain to me why the absentee ballots aren't just conted along with the rest?
The ballots just take a bit more handling, and it's in large part manual; the envelopes they're in have to be opened. Absentee ballots would have been handled a bit more smoothly this month had they come in in greater quantity before election day, is the opinion in California. A couple of local offices are still hanging in the balance, one by a difference of six votes, so we're being, shall we say, meticulous. The local Department of Elections found itself suddenly snowed under with 71,000 absentee ballots that they'd hoped to be seeing over a couple of weeks previous to our traditional first-Tuesday-in-November-that-isn't-1-November election day.

In our county, the paper ballots are then fed through an optical scanner, which is talented enough to read the ballots backwards, forwards, or upside down accurately, so pretty much all that has to happen is to get the ballots out of the envelopes, unfolded, and stuck in the scanner's slot. Inside a second per ballot sheet the gizmo has read and tabulated the votes on the ballot, which then goes into storage for a couple of years, by statutory requirement. These will vary by state -- the Federal government has little to say on the detailed requirements, anti-fraud measures, and the like.

Last edited by Urbane Guerrilla; 11-14-2006 at 11:14 PM.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:47 AM   #13
DanaC

Ahh. I see.

We have 'postal ballots' here, which people can elect to have instead of going to the ballot stations. It's particularly useful for pensioners or people with motility issues. All our ballot papers are checked and counted manually though.

When I was elected in the local elections, we went along to the count. There were stations set up all around the sports hall. and two tellers on each station counting through the ballot papers. We had someone stood in front of each counting point, watching as they separated them into the different piles, based on which box the cross had been marked in, and were supposed to shout up if we thought they'd got one wrong. The postal ballots were all opened at the same time and fed into the count. Out of the 4000 ballot papers for my ward (there were I think 20 wards being counted in that room) there were 9 that were unclear. They were st to one side and atthe end of the count, myself and my competitors were called over to examine them. We came to a decision as to whether that slightly skewed cross was meant to be on that name, or the other double cross with one scribbled out meant that name.... we discounted 5 as genuine spoiled ballots and argued our case as to whether the others could be counted or not. Was fun:P
Old 11-15-2006, 12:25 PM   #14
Griff
still says videotape

update- forged stamp
Old 11-16-2006, 11:47 PM   #15
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Update update:New Lebanon, NY. (Nov. 17) - An absentee ballot was mailed with what may have been the Ark of the Covenant, but the envelope is in a box that by law can't be opened.

Rensallaer County Commissioner Euripedes Pants discovered the Ark while reviewing absentee ballots. There was only the name 'Moses' on the envelope, so the vote didn't count.

What looked like a sacred container containing the Ten Commandments on stone tablets caught Pants's eye about 8 p.m. Tuesday. Then he noticed one had a cherubim, a hallmark of the Ark of the Covenant.

"I was a tomb looter when I was little," Pants told The Albany Times Union. "I recognized it."

RPants discussed the Ark with other members of the canvassing board, and a religious artifactcollecting Renssalear County sheriff's deputy overheard them talking about the possible Ark.

He said the Ark would be very valuable if it was real. But it was too late.

"By that time we had already sealed the box. And once you seal the box, under the election law you can't unseal it," Broward County Court Judge Eric Beller said.

Elections officials will retain the ballot for 22 months, Jenny Nash, a spokeswoman for the NewYork secretary of state's office, told The Associated Press. After that, any action is up to the county elections supervisor.

A telephone message left with Fred Bellis, the executive assistant to Renssalaer County Supervisor of Elections Brenda Snipes, was not immediately returned Saturday.

Snipes' spokeswoman, Mary Cooney, said the supervisor is too busy with balloting to focus on the Ark. Cooney said ballots and materials are usually destroyed after the 22-month holding period.

"She's (Snipes) not going to be able to take any time to even look at it until after the (ballot) certification on Monday," Cooney told the South Albany Times Union.

Maynard Guss, president of the Ark of the Covenant Club, said an authentic Ark could be worth $200,000,000,000. But when the ballot was mailed the Ark was folded, reducing its value. Guss estimated a Ark would likely sell for $20,000,000,000 to $100,000,000,000.

The 24 carat gold encrusted Ark was home to the two tablets of stone constituting the "testimony" or evidence of God's covenant with the people. The Ark was built at the command of God, in accord with Moses's prophetic vision on Mount Sinai. Its primary function was for God to communicate with Moses, also to give detailed instructions about what was good and what was forbidden.

Tomb looters have spent thousands of years trying to find it.

11/117/06 16:12 EST