The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 07-13-2004, 11:14 AM   #1
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

Like father like son?

Didn't quite know where to put this, but a friend of mine has doubted all his life that his father is actually his biological father, because he looks nothing like him. He is dark skinned, slim and athletic whereas his father is stock, pale skinned and to use his words 'even has a different nose'.

What are the genetic chances of him being his father? Do father and son always look alike? He's looking for scientific evidence either way not reassurance.

Any ideas?
Old 07-13-2004, 11:54 AM   #2
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

looks mean nothing, a DNA parernity test is the only way to tell for certain. ala ricky lake. i dunno where you would go to have this done, or how much $$ it would cost. it would require fresh dna samples however from both interrested parties, usually inner cheek cells. good luck to them.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:02 PM   #3
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman

Any ideas?
Ask his mother? Of course there's always the possibility...
Old 07-13-2004, 12:08 PM   #4
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Its an odd suspicion to have and there might be other reasons he is not consciously aware of for feeling this way in addition to the physical resemblance issue (things he may have heard or seen when he was young, for example).

Any word on what his mother or grandparents looked like? If any of the remaining five look anything like him, I'd calm down a little. If none do, I'd be googling for local DNA labs.

Tell your buddy to ask the lab if they can use a passive DNA sample (hair, fingernail clipping, etc.). Little tough to explain why he needs an inner cheek sample without giving up the real question.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:21 PM   #5
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Perhaps he should consider that this doubt has almost certainly occurred to his father as well, and perhaps his father even knows something that he doesn't. Digging for the truth is one thing, but opening old wounds when it's not necessary is another. He should definitely keep this discreet.

That said, there are billboards in Texas proclaiming the immortal words: "Who's the father?? 1-800-DNA-TEST."
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 12:24 PM   #6
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
That said, there are billboards in Texas proclaiming the immortal words: "Who's the father?? 1-800-DNA-TEST."
Top that, Kansas.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:14 AM   #7
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

Hmm. Ok thanks for the advice. DNA test is not really an option, and yes I think there are emotional roots to the question - abandonment issues etc. as he never spent much time with him. Also forgot to mention he was born 4 weeks premature which could affect his body structure?? Looking really for examples of when fathers/sons have looked completely different and the genetic probability. Have googled but not having much success.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:06 AM   #8
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
If I had their pictures, I'd post a pair of cousins of mine and their parents. My first cousin (black) married a white lady. The girl looks like her mother, only with light cocoa skin and the boy, as features like noses and face shape go, only vaguely resembles his father, and even then you have to squint, tilt your head and look in the right light.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 08:50 AM   #9
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Mixing races gets wacky. I had a friend whose mother was white with dark brown hair and father was black, and he came out completely pale-white-skinned, with freckles, and red hair--but the hair was the texture and coarseness of his dad's.

Being born 4 weeks premature wouldn't have much of an effect on his ultimate features, only possibly the healthiness of his organs. At any rate, does he even look like his mother? Perhaps he is adopted entirely and they chose not to tell him.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 09:21 AM   #10
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
Mixing races gets wacky. I had a friend whose mother was white with dark brown hair and father was black, and he came out completely pale-white-skinned, with freckles, and red hair--but the hair was the texture and coarseness of his dad's.
That is a common appearance for black/white mixed-race children. In fact, that is the origin of the phrase "red-headed stepchild" to indicate a not-quite-favorably looked upon family member, who always gets the short end of the stick.

- Pie, who likes red hair...
Old 07-14-2004, 09:39 AM   #11
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

Did you know there is more genetic variation between a red-head and any other caucasion and a black person and a caucasian?
Old 07-14-2004, 10:08 AM   #12
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman
Did you know there is more genetic variation between a red-head and any other caucasion and a black person and a caucasian?
I didn't know for sure but I did have my suspicions after seeing THIS man:

Old 07-14-2004, 10:20 AM   #13
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

HIJACK

seen him twice, left both times barely able to breathe because my sides ached and cheeks cramped up.

HIJACK
Old 07-18-2004, 10:30 PM   #14
jane_says
Colonist Extraordinaire

No help, but just wanted to add that it sounds like you're describing Dale and Joseph Gribble.
jane_says is offline   Reply With Quote