The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 02-26-2007, 10:37 PM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Baxters Soups

I got $15 in Amazon certificates and I was picking up a book I wanted, when I decide to search for any discount codes.

One came up for Baxters soups, so I decided to pick up some cans. I understand that that they are based in England and Scotland, so I was wondering if any of our Cellarites from there can tell me what they are like.

With the coupon it was $21 for 12 cans of Seafood soup, so unless it's terrible I figure it was worth it.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 02-26-2007 at 10:43 PM.
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:39 AM   #2
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Baxter's are considered to be near the top of the range for tinned soups. I've got some of their ministrone on my shelves right now! They are based in Fochabers and their website will tell you more about them.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:21 AM   #3
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I have about 6 cans from their Healthy Choice range on my shelf at home. I find them much more filling and better flavoured than Weight Watchers soups, with very little difference in calories or fat. Weight Watchers seem to work on the assumption that they need to make things thin and bland so fat people don't go mad and eat 5 helpings in one sitting. Baxters understand that if they fill you up on rice and lentils you just doze off happily with the taste of spiced tomato in your mouth.

I haven't had the Seafood Chowder, but I've had the Stilton and White Port from the same range and it was delicious - better than I expected from a tinned soup. If that was anything to go by the rest of the range should be above average too.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:44 PM   #4
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
I have about 6 cans from their Healthy Choice range on my shelf at home. I find them much more filling and better flavoured than Weight Watchers soups, with very little difference in calories or fat. Weight Watchers seem to work on the assumption that they need to make things thin and bland so fat people don't go mad and eat 5 helpings in one sitting. Baxters understand that if they fill you up on rice and lentils you just doze off happily with the taste of spiced tomato in your mouth.

I haven't had the Seafood Chowder, but I've had the Stilton and White Port from the same range and it was delicious - better than I expected from a tinned soup. If that was anything to go by the rest of the range should be above average too.
Thanks for the review. I was looking at the Stilton and White Port before I decided on the Seafood Chowder. I love to experiment, but not when I'm ordering 12 cans of the same item. If they had a sampler, I would have bought it to try the Stilton and White Port and the Cream of Scottish Smoked Salmon (Cullen Skink?).

Since shipping is free from Amazon and the coupon knocks the price down to $21 for 12 cans ($1.75 per can), I figure I haven't got anything to lose. Around here the upscale canned soup was Bookbinders (a local seafood restaurant), that was hideously expensive. My wife likes the seafood soups at some restaurants, so this might be a treat.

The ingredients look good. Shrimp is listed 6th and Cod 8th, so I at least know theres a decent amount of seafood in the soup.

Quote:
Water, Onions, Potatoes, Celery, Leeks, Shrimps, Cream, Cod, Canola and Palm Oil, Skim Milk, Modified Corn Starch, Wheat Flour, Salt, Lobster Tomalley, Scampi, Herbs and Spices, Stabilizer (Sodium Polyphosphates), Garlic Puree, Yeast Extract, Fish Powder, Chicken, Lactose from Milk, Dried Onion, Sugar, Flavoring.
From Baxter's site:
Quote:
Water, Onions, Potatoes, Celery, Leeks, Prawns (5%), Double Cream, Cod (3%), Vegetable Oil, Skimmed Milk Powder, Modified Cornflour, Wheatflour, Salt, Lobster Tomalley (0.4%), Scampi (0.4%), Herbs and Spices, Stabiliser (Polyphosphates), Garlic Puree, Yeast Extract, Fish Powder, Chicken Meat, Lactose from milk, Dried Onion, Sugar, Flavouring.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 02-27-2007 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:02 AM   #5
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

It sells for about £2 a can here, which would work out approx $4, so it's a great deal. Hope you enjoy it, do let us know
Old 03-05-2007, 05:34 AM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

"Chicken Meat"? Must be chicken of the sea.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:16 AM   #7
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Finally! On it's way

Does anyone remember the 'Is it soup yet?' ad campaign. Well, it's almost soup time after 3 weeks. I'm hoping it was worth the wait.

Order Date: February 25, 2007
The following items have been shipped to you by Amazon.com:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Qty Item Price Shipped Subtotal
Amazon.com items (Sold by Amazon.com, LLC):
1 Baxters Luxury Soups, Seaf... $31.50 1 $31.50

Shipped via UPS (estimated arrival date: 20-March-2007).
Tracking number: 1Z410E7***********

Item Subtotal: $31.50
Shipping & Handling: $10.70

Super Saver Discount $-10.70
Promotion Applied $-10.00

Total: $21.50

Your package is on time with a scheduled delivery date of 03/20/2007.

Tracking Number: 1Z 410 E7W ************
Type: Package
Scheduled Delivery: 03/20/2007
Shipped to: ***************
Shipped or Billed on: 03/16/2007
Service Type: GROUND
Weight: 14.00 Lbs
Old 03-20-2007, 01:58 PM   #8
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I was determined to buy some of this the other day, so I could appreciate your review properly.
They didn't have any in stock. What a travesty - obviously exporting it all cheaply to the States.

I may go further afield and try to get some this weekend. It would be a shame not to be able to share the experience. Thinking of having it with crusty wholemeal bread
Old 03-23-2007, 06:57 PM   #9
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

I may go looking for some, too, to join in the feast!
Old 03-23-2007, 08:56 PM   #10
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Well, the soup came a few days ago, and I finally got to try some.

It's thinner than I expected, more like a Manhattan chowder without the tomato. The stock is chicken with some added creaminess from the milk powder.

It has a good fishy aroma, and there are lots of pieces of shrimp. What I didn't like was a slight oily aftertaste that may have been from the chicken broth. Also, being used to creamy New England or tangy Manhattan, I found myself trying to compare it to one of those.

It is a very good quality soup, but I had a hard time reconciling the chicken and seafood flavors. My wife, however liked it with tortilla chips added for crunch.

I am sorry that I didn't try the Salmon soup (Cullen Skink?). I think I would have liked it better. I'll have to wait until that deal comes around to Amazon again.

I am planning on a BBQ in the future and will be inviting some people from the Cellar, so some people here may have a chance to try it.