The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-05-2015, 10:10 AM   #1
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Moms Hate Christmas

I was having a conversation with a friend the other day, who had always sort of been known in our group as the one who just loves Christmas. Genuinely enjoyed the music, baked the cute cookies, decorated her apartment to the gills, attempted to decorate all of ours too if we'd only let her, etc. But she admitted that since becoming a mom (her daughter is 5 now,) she absolutely hates Christmas, and for all the same reasons I do, even though I didn't start with nearly the same positive attitude that she did.

As the wife/mother, you have to buy the presents for everyone. Extended family is hard enough, but now you have to add all of his family--people whose tastes you don't know and may actively dislike. And if you do make him buy the presents, he's gonna do a half-assed job of it at best, which they put up with when he was a bachelor but now they'll blame you for being a bad wife and not taking the responsibility on yourself.

Then everyone comes to you to tell them what your kids want, so essentially you have to come up with like 15-20 good presents for each of your own kids, because Grandma will be pissed if you say "he'll like this" and then he doesn't like it. Not impossible for toddlers, but by the age of 9 kids are almost as hard to shop for as adults. My father makes me actually buy and wrap them too, then just gives me money to cover it. If he were married, she would almost certainly do it, after I sent her an Amazon link anyway, but he's single so it's my job.

And then everyone's all "Nooo! No Christmas music in November! No Black Friday rush! Wait until December at least!" Screw you guys, the kind of Christmas you expect to have takes more than 3 weeks to pull off. I know, I know, everyone's got these fond memories of all the great traditions your mom did for you. And she did love you, and vicariously loved your enjoyment of it.

But I'm telling you, she hated every minute of it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:44 AM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Send them all Chanukah cards, and be free forever.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:11 AM   #3
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Then everyone comes to you to tell them what your kids want
This is the worst. I don't even know what the hell to get my kids and I'm supposed to give away the few decent ideas I might come up with? Fortunately, my wife gets most of the pressure to come up with the ideas.

I don't spoil my kids. At least, I don't think I do, but they have everything they want that can be bought for under $100. And I'm not buying my son the damn hover board he keeps asking for. His grandparents don't want to hear the hover board idea either.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:14 AM   #4
glatt

Oh, and guys, if you are wondering what gift to get your woman, maybe this isn't so good around the holidays, but at other times, this is the best gift ever. Maye she will let you try one, and you will understand.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:20 AM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I have to disagree, if you do that, no matter what day of the year, she will have started a diet within the previous 48 hours. You uncaring monster, you unsupportive beast, how could you be so mean?
Old 11-05-2015, 11:51 AM   #6
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Send everyone a gift card for Amazon.

"Prime if you like them" ... "Non-Prime" if you don't

Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:05 PM   #7
glatt

It's unhealthy. Sure. But she doesn't have to eat the whole box at once.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:14 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Sure, but the timing proves you can't read her mind, so you become a disappointment.

Now if you're faced with a daunting holiday season, perhaps you should start with an Advent Calendar that gives you a shot of gin each day.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:21 PM   #9
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

I dont like christmas much anymore either.....

1) The decorations are ugly as sin.... (These crappy LED lights instead of the GOOD bulbs we used in the 80s and before)

2) Its all about $$$$$$$ now..... The real meaning of christmas is long gone
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:08 PM   #10
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Well I'm a mum and I still love Christmas. Last year was the best one in years. This one is going to be weird. Not sure what's going to happen yet. My brother and sis in law are going to be with her family during the day, so it'll just be my tribe (whoever shows up for it) and my Dad and Ma for lunch. Big family do in the evening which is always the highlight for me, although I'm not too sure about the venue the oldies have chosen this year. I think it's going to be hot and stuffy and cramped and all the little kids are going to be whining because there's nowhere to play. It's at my Aunties place, and there was a function there last year with only about 30 of us, and it was cramped. Christmas night is about 80. I'm not sure the oldies thought it through really, and I suspect they might be sorry they didn't leave it to my generation to sort it out.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:33 PM   #11
Griff
still says videotape

I fought the long war. We do almost zero gifting outside the house.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:39 PM   #12
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

The only gifts that we give, are to family. everybody else gets cookies.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:48 AM   #13
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
I fought the long war. We do almost zero gifting outside the house.
Us too. We do a gift exchange thing on my side of the family where each relative gets one name assigned to them. So I'm responsible for one sibling/in-law/parent/niece/nephew and that's it.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:23 AM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Us too. We do a gift exchange thing on my side of the family where each relative gets one name assigned to them. So I'm my wife is responsible for one sibling/in-law/parent/niece/nephew and that's it.
Fixed.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:06 AM   #15
glatt

Yeah, well, at least it's less work for her.