The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 09-28-2003, 10:53 AM   #1
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Make 'Em Cry

If there is anything to the concept of the Law of Supply and Demand, the price for comedic song-and-dance men must be approaching the astronomical. Certainly, these rare birds have not become any less pricey with the passing of Donald O'Connor yesterday at the age of 78.

Donald O'Connor will forever be emblazoned in the memories of America's moviegoing public for his performance in the MGM musical 'Singin' in the Rain', a film selected by the public as #10 on the list of the top 100 films of all time. As Gene Kelly's sidekick/partner Cosmo Brown, O'Connor performed a scene very nearly more memorable than Kelly's own soggy terpsicorian classic. The musical number "Make 'Em Laugh" had O'Connor performing an incredibly athletic and acrobatic routine, running up walls and launching into a backflip, dancing with a stuffed dummy, and generally throwing himself around in a manner which Chevy Chase (or even Gerald Ford) could only dream of emulating. There are, in fact, so many things to love about this routine, it is hard to say which single piece of shtick is the best, although my personal favorite was the backflips off of the wall (although the 'stuck' face portion runs a close second).

O'Connor's other major claim to fame was as the straight man to Francis the Talking Mule (perfectly voiced by famed Western star Chill Wills) in the unreasonably popular 1950's comedy film series (directed by the man who would later go on to bring us "Mister Ed", the talking TV horse...'Oh, Willlburrrr!"). O'Connor quit the series after six films, saying "When you've made six pictures and the mule still gets more fan mail than you do ...." . The final film of the very popular series even featured a young Clint Eastwood in a supporting role.

Donald O'Connor came from a vaudeville family, and his ilk are practically all gone by now. Such performers had to be able to do it all...sing, dance, do standup comedy...and *act*. They are a vanishing breed, and I miss them.

We all dream that, when our time comes, we will have something memorable to say, some final words that carry with them such a measure of profundity, such a memorable quality that we will remain quotable long after the wind has scattered our dust. I submit to you that Mr. O'Connor, who never won, but undoubtedly deserved, an Academy Award, has left us with such a statement. Among his final words, his family reports, is this gem:

"I'd like to thank the Academy for my lifetime achievement award that I will eventually get."

If I were a member of the Academy, I would, by the Gods, get cracking on casting that Oscar right away.
Old 09-28-2003, 04:24 PM   #2
warch
lurkin old school

Quote:
Donald O'Connor came from a vaudeville family, and his ilk are practically all gone by now. Such performers had to be able to do it all...sing, dance, do standup comedy...and *act*
I submit for your consideration: The magic that is Jack Black.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 04:34 PM   #3
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Re: Make 'Em Cry

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspode
"I'd like to thank the Academy for my lifetime achievement award that I will eventually get."

But I'm not bitter or angry!
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 04:36 PM   #4
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Jack Black does indeed posess a wide range of skills...although I have yet to see him dance in the classic sense.

I had also meant to add, as a codicil, that I do have hope for the future after having seen Catherine Zeta Jones' Oscar-winning performance in "Chicago".
Old 09-28-2003, 07:35 PM   #5
warch
lurkin old school

Quote:
although I have yet to see him dance in the classic sense.
Patience...
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 08:53 PM   #6
juju
no one of consequence

Jack Black can act? That's news to me...
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 06:47 AM   #7
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
Jack Black can act? That's news to me...
Watch it you!