The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-12-2006, 09:57 AM   #1
bbro
Insert witty comment here

One of those days

So, I woke up late, but only got to work about 10 minutes late, not bad. I was feeling pretty good. I just bought new bras that lift (but not separate, I never understood that) so my boobs are looking good. This shirt is slimming and adds some nice shape, not to mention that my pants are feeling a little looser today.

Then I get to the bathroom and realize MY ZIPPER HAS BEEN DOWN ALL DAY!!! That's why my pants were loose!! Then, I was chewing on my lip and accidentally ripped a whole layer of skin off - now I am tasting blood because it goes back into my mouth, but it isn't bleeding. I also found a whole bunch of hair on my back from my constantly shedding mane. My breakfast has decided to do a tap dance in my already sensitive stomach (expired eggs this weekend, don't ask) *SIGH* so much for a good feeling day.

So how is your day going??
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:17 AM   #2
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Oh bless, I do feel for you.
My day is fine today, so I'll tell you about Saturday evening instead.

I finished work at 17.30 as usual, and went to the theatre to pick up some tickets (for tonight in fact). The theatre is 5-10 minutes walk across the park, but the direct route is not lit and there have been some robberies (although none at this time of day). I decided to walk round by road, which takes nearly twice as long. Better safe than sorry & all that.

Now I've whined enough about my weight for you to guess I am NOT fit at the moment. Bear in mind I'd been on my feet all day in the shop and that my tights (pantyhose) were falling down. My thighs were chafing a bit and my feet hurting.

Puff, pant, puff, pant - I got to the overheated Box Office and stood there gently steaming until one of the staff was free.

Four of the tickets were fine, but the fifth - booked at a different time but supposedly adjacent - was not. No ticket booked under that name, and the seat we were expecting had been booked by someone else. Now this is BAD news - we had in fact resold these exact tickets already, as we were offered better seats in the hospitality section on the same night! I didn't have my mobile with me, so I couldn't call the friend who booked it to check if she had a booking ref - nothing for it but to walk back.

I looked across the dark reaches of the park and decided it still wasn't worth risking my skin - I walked back around by road.

Half way home I had an ephiphany. She's only been and gone and booked it in my name to make it easier to collect. Sigh. Trudged back, hotter and sorer and more irritated than ever. Yes - it was there under my name all the time. (Couldn't the woman have asked me my name? It's hardly as if I'd have hit on the right name by accident?)

At this point it is 18.15. I am expected for dinner at 18.30 and at this rate I won't get home to feed my cats or cool down before I have to go. Sigh - I walked back through the dark, across the park and what do you know? Not a single mugger leaped out for me to vent my fury on.

I arrived at my friend's at 18.35, footsore, hot, hungry, tired and irritated. Poor lady probably regretted inviting me! Things got better after that (except leaving 6 beers in their fridge that I have been too embarrassed to ask for back)

Still - theatre tonight, good seats, complimentary drink AND I'm being taken to dinner beforehand.

Sometimes things don't go after all from bad to worse
Old 12-12-2006, 11:42 AM   #3
rkzenrage

Did not sleep at all last night, just in tons of pain... my dental appliance is not back yet (for those of you who did not read it, my dog chewed my old one up. update is that the company that makes them broke my mold, so it has taken a LONG time. meanwhile the swelling and pain in my jaws/ears/nasal cavity/etc gets much worse... I clinch in my sleep and during bad pain spasms).
This morning my wife reminds me we are touring my son's potential new school (it will be, it seems great).
A lot of bumps on the way, ow some more.
The Director (principal) decided to accompany our group, but was not told about me and freaked out when I showed signs of pain.
Others knew in advance that I am in chronic pain. Funny, because I just sort-of flinch most of the time and today twitch my head to the side because of a lot of inflammation due to some extra problems I am having in one of the herniated disk and degeneration in my neck (of course the ear issues are not helping with this either).
My family and the assistant director, who turned out to be my therapist's wife, very casually, told her that I am in chronic pain... she sorta' tweaked every time I even shifted my weight in my chair after that and went way out of her way to help me through door-ways and the like... very uncomfortable.
Nothing to be done. She was very nice and I understand.
Lot of people have not been around those in pain, but I felt like I wanted to take care of her somehow, but did not know how. So, I tried to do the best I could to show it less, which is VERY painful. Suppressing spasms intensifies the pain immensely.
But, all of this was WELL worth it in the end, the school was great, they were all great.
Finally, upon entering a three-year-old class all the students dropped what they were doing and *WHOOSH* I was surrounded and a thousand questions were bombarding me...
An impromptu class on wheelchairs and disability ensued, as I was shown lots of art intermittently with my information and their questions and was given a piece of art that was done just for me.
No one else in my party had art done for them, ha! They were very beautiful kids and well behaved, the first little outburst aside.
Definitely made it all worth it, that and, even though I am having a rotten pain day, since I was already dressed and there, I treated myself to an excellent cigar before going back into the house to rest for the rest of the day.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:52 AM   #4
chrisinhouston
Professor

Gee, my day hasn't been too bad yet! I did my ususal parent thing (see my thread in Parenting if you are curious) and then I went outside to cut up the firewood I pilfered on Sunday. We are having a warm spell here in Atlanta so outdoor work is nice.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 12:00 PM   #5
rkzenrage

Oh, and my mother-in-law has my son for two days... I miss him even after a day-&-a'-half.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:00 PM   #6
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

So far, only trying to deal with a lost order of gift cards for my dad. It's probably too late to have them sent here again, so I need to have them sent direct. But, have already been cutoff once trying to 'fix' it so I'll keep on trying...
Old 12-12-2006, 01:00 PM   #7
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I just got back from the license bureau. I win.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:02 PM   #8
rkzenrage

I have one that is about fifteen miles from here, small town, that is a well kept secret. Not bad at all if you make an appointment (they actually keep them and call you ahead of all those waiting). They are nice and efficient... I think they are aliens.

But, if yours is "normal", yup, you win.

The ones in LA were like a torture thought up by the govt. in Chile.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:44 PM   #9
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

My day started pleasantly enough. I had a bit of a lie in, had some breakfast, walked the dog and then set off to Leeds to spend an afternoon in Special Collections, consulting a facsimile of the York Gospels with accompanying essays. I had assumed that when I read the essays, some sort of inspiration would sparkle on how to approach the research topic. Having just done some wider reading and found very little of it relating specifically to York Gospels.

By half six, i had read enough, and taken enough notes to expand the possibilities into something entirely unmanageable and erratic. It's going to take another day with the text and cross referencing materials to get this into any kind of shape. Library closes at 7, I figure it's no point starting any new points, may as well leave and get back home at a reasonable time....Ha! Bloody transport in the North is a joke.....a "£$%ing joke....*Insert random public transport related diatribe here*.

nuff said, I got home for a little after half nine, after arsing about on stations and in queues for hours *Insert another slightly smaller rant here*. All the while with the growing realisation of just how much work I still have to do on this project.

Last edited by DanaC; 12-12-2006 at 04:48 PM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 04:55 PM   #10
be-bop
Operations Operative

I got my arse chewed off by my boss today when I was told that my comments at a meeting we had yesterday were not acceptable..long story which I can't go into here,but the organisation I work for have Employment Consultants in and my comments to the one at the meeting got back to her.
Don't know what the problem is I only stated a fact that If I had my way the consultants would be tarred and feathered and run out the door as the obvious snake oil salesmen that they are.
I got very miffed when some young runt who's barely started shaving was telling me that I could not accept change,change I can accept chaos is a different matter
be-bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:25 PM   #11
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Yesterday (because today has only just begun) I was in charge of a group of school kids on an excursion - two of them were my own. That part of the day went pretty well, although I did come home with a bit of sunburn and my legs were pretty tired after trying to keep up with 10yr olds all day.

The bad part happened after we got home. One of the boys on our street came to tell us that his dad had died the night before. Apparently he was in a car accident and didn't come off well. I couldn't even think of one thing to say to this poor boy except, oh Eric, we're so sorry. I don't know what other words there are. My youngest whispered in my ear, 'can Eric have a christmas crackle?' (one of my christmas lollies). I worry that I've taught my kids to heal their emotional distress with food after that one.

On the bright side of things, I picked up a whole carton of tomatoes for $7. We had a very nice pasta for dinner last night.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:36 PM   #12
chrisinhouston
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC
I then set off to Leeds to spend an afternoon in Special Collections, consulting a facsimile of the York Gospels with accompanying essays.
Wow, I'm glad I figured out you were at a library, I thought you owed someone money (Special Collections) and you went with the Gospel in hand for extra help!
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:21 PM   #13
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

I've not a had a bad day. Monday, I finally handed over a project to the testers, and given that I have I still have 12 days leave to take before Chrsitmas, the boss allowed me the rest of the week off....

So, today (Tuesday) I settle back for a lie-in and a lazy day......

but the Current Wife and Wicked StepChild are both out early today, and don't have time to feed the cats....

....so much for the lie-in (I defy anyone to sleep with 5 cats dive-bombing you from the top of the wardrobe)...

ah, well, cats fed, settlle down to finish reading library book....

and the the phone rings, and then someones knocking at the door.... and again.... and again. Seems The Current Wife has been busy on t'internet buyng.... well, everything, I think... and it's all arriving today.

Lunchtime, and the Dearly Beloved arrives home (Tuesdays she only does half days) and espies the mountain of parcels. She makes it abundantly clear, without saying a word, (how <i>do</i> they do that?) that she wants me out of the way while she tackles the parcels....

So, I bite the bullet and head for the border...... well, actually, Borders, where I divest myself of an awful lot of cash doing the majority of the Christmas presents shopping.

Still, at least I've got it over with early this year.....
Old 12-12-2006, 10:33 PM   #14
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMcGee
but the Current Wife and Wicked StepChild are both out early today, and don't have time to feed the cats....
Why do you call her Wicked StepChild?

My day is in my Sad and Happy thread...actually its about the last coupla weeks but it leads up to today.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:07 PM   #15
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl
At this point it is 18.15. I am expected for dinner at 18.30 and at this rate I won't get home to feed my cats or cool down before I have to go. Sigh - I walked back through the dark, across the park and what do you know? Not a single mugger leaped out for me to vent my fury on.
tee hee hee

I would not be afraid to walk anywhere with you me thinks.

Quote:
I arrived at my friend's at 18.35, footsore, hot, hungry, tired and irritated. Poor lady probably regretted inviting me! Things got better after that (except leaving 6 beers in their fridge that I have been too embarrassed to ask for back)
No shame in taking two home. You were more than gracious to leave it and not drink at least one. :p You should have.

Quote:
Still - theatre tonight, good seats, complimentary drink AND I'm being taken to dinner beforehand.
I am glad you had a good night. Thanks for sharing it.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote