The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 03-19-2003, 04:22 PM   #1
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Buying a car (PA residents)

I have PennDOT in my bookmarks, but I'd rather hear a first-hand account.

I'll be buying my car next month (whoohoo!), and am curious as to the procedure for titling the car/getting the license plate. As I understand it, it goes:

--Show proof of insurance when you go to a license agent, and you pay for the plate and the tax.

--All you get is the plate. The car must then undergo a safety & emissions (if you live in the Phi/Pgh area) inspection within so many days in order to get your sticker for the plate (or in the case of the City of Philadelphia, the ugly yellow tag that goes on your back windshield).

Does this sound right?
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 06:09 PM   #2
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Re: Buying a car (PA residents)

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore

--Show proof of insurance when you go to a license agent, and you pay for the plate and the tax.

--All you get is the plate.

We do it a bit differently out here.

--Go to a mall or church parking lot (in Pa, after dark is better)

--Steal a tag with the number 3 in it and modify it to an 8.

--Stop by Cooter's garage and get the sticker.

--If you pass Enis on the road, tear ass through the countryside.

(Jag: The last 2 references are from a *really* bad hillbilly TV show, The Dukes of Hazzard. )

Last edited by slang; 03-19-2003 at 06:14 PM.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 07:30 PM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Sorry to be elitist, but ...

All of my car purchases have been from dealers who take care of all the transfers and stuff, so I don't really know. Your best bet is going to be to check with the closest fastag guy to your house.

Of course, this vehicle IS a gift from a family member, right??? No money is changing hands ... (*wink* *wink*)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 08:51 PM   #4
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

When we moved here from NC in 1990, we went to an auto tag agency and did the title and the plates. They gave us plates with temporary stickers on the spot, and then we had to get the inspection. I don't remember how long we had to complete the inspection, but I don't seem to remember that we had to be in a really big hurry. We owned both cars outright; I'm sure it's mildly more complicated if there's a lienholder involved. (They don't do the temporary plate stickers anymore..... it took them HOW MANY years to figure out that a "temporary" sticker with no expiration date was a bad idea?)

If you have any trouble figuring out what to do, I'd suggest contacting your state legislator. Helping citizens navigate the bureaucracy for mundane tasks is one of the (few) useful purposes our elected representatives serve.

[pedantic]It's actually Enos, slang....a Biblical reference... and you forgot to explain what you're supposed to do if you run across Daisy instead of Enos. [/pedantic]
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 09:44 PM   #5
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveDallas
[pedantic]It's actually Enos, slang....a Biblical reference... [/pedantic]
What, like I read the bible?
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 09:47 PM   #6
elSicomoro

What? No praise God and pass the ammunition?
Old 03-19-2003, 09:54 PM   #7
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

To register a used car, required is proof of insurance, a valid driver's license, and the title already signed (and name printed) of all previous owners AND the current odometer reading. If you already have a license plate in your name, use that plate (to save money).

You have 10 days to get the car inspected. You will be provided a temporary pink sheet that is registration until registration and title arrive from PennDot.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 09:59 PM   #8
elSicomoro

This is the info I was looking for, that I couldn't find on PennDOT's site tonight. Thank you, tw.

Hmmm...10 days. It might be better for me to get the insurance, get MO temp tags (which last for 20 days), then get PA tags when I get back to Philadelphia.
Old 03-19-2003, 10:06 PM   #9
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Ask the guy who registers the property transfer in MO ... they may be able to hook you up with PA temp tags from the get-go.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 10:20 PM   #10
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

BTW, bring two checks. One will pay the Tag Office. The other to pay Commonwealth of PA.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 02:51 PM   #11
russotto
Professor

Re: Buying a car (PA residents)

OK, I've never bought a car privately in PA, but I have sold one. You need to have the title transfer notarized, both buyer and seller signatures. The easiest and safest way is you both go to the tag place, but the seller can have it done beforehand and give you the notarized title. When you go to the tag place, you need proof of insurance, the title, and the money. (as tw said, you need two checks. Maybe three; you might need separate checks to Harrisburg for the title transfer and registration)

As for the inspection, if you really can't get it done in 10 days it's no big deal; even if you get pulled over you'll probably just get a fix-it ticket at worst.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote