The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 07-29-2014, 09:59 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

GMO Corn No Longer Resistant to Pests

From Scientific American.

In Brazil, with jungle all around the bugs are heavy. I guess that's why Brazilian farmers turned to GMO corn to save the day. But it didn't work.
Quote:
Genetically modified corn seeds are no longer protecting Brazilian farmers from voracious tropical bugs, increasing costs as producers turn to pesticides, a farm group said on Monday.

Producers want four major manufacturers of so-called BT corn seeds to reimburse them for the cost of spraying up to three coats of pesticides this year, said Ricardo Tomczyk, president of Aprosoja farm lobby in Mato Grosso state.

"The caterpillars should die if they eat the corn, but since they didn't die this year producers had to spend on average 120 reais ($54) per hectare ... at a time that corn prices are terrible," he said.
Not the first failure.
Quote:
Experts in the United States have also warned about corn production prospects because of a growing bug resistance to genetically modified corn. Researchers in Iowa found significant damage from rootworms in corn fields last year.
Guess we'll need a stronger Frankincorn.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:50 PM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

You might find this interesting, Bruce: http://m.motherjones.com/environment...e-tyson-on-gmo

I have no doubt that playing God with food has brought some trouble, and I do try to go organic. But GMOs have never really troubled me. Big Ag DOES trouble me, tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:45 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Well there used to be wild cows and he's completely wrong about apples... red delicious apples suck.
But what he describes is taking the best from nature and courting those traits.
I don't put that in the same league as making grain which will poison some species but won't affect people. Says who? For how long? How do they know that? And this isn't an item I can go to the market and choose modified or not. Grain is added to a large portion of everything we consume. Granted a lot of them are snacks we'd be better off not consuming at all, but still.

Plus I find the strong arm tactics of Monsanto/Cargill et al against farmers to be distasteful.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:28 PM   #4
elSicomoro

Well yeah...MoJo noted that he was speaking more from natural science than artificial means.

I've been reading too many books and watching too many DVDs during my summer vacation about Big Ag and Big Water...it all pisses me off. Who is really profiting in the end from all this? Shareholders, though they'll get sick in the end like the rest of us.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:27 PM   #5
glatt

Edit: damn phone. Grumble.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:24 PM   #6
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Natural selection and GMO are NOT the same thing ... holy crap, does anyone actually give this guy cred? Do people believe this shill for Big Ag?

Let's be clear. If you're eating corn on the cob this summer that tastes sweet and sugary, no matter how good it tastes: it's GMO. Not because of the sugar (directly); that was hybridization to gain market share. The GMO part came in because the sweet taste meant $$$, so bugs need not apply for part of the crop. GMO meant that bugs would not take any of the crop, thus making $$$$ for the seed-makers.

Note that I said seed-makers, not growers. The farmers still get fucked over by Monsanto, no matter what they do.They can't save seeds. Once they sign up with Monsanto, they are dependent on Monsanto, whether in the US, Africa, or anywhere else we know of.

This is about Monsanto and their determination to control the food supply for the planet. Trouble is, should they succeed, they'll immediately fail, because they are not as smart as they think they are.

What does this mean for the rest of us? The lowly peons who just want to live out our three-score-and-ten? It means gardens, folks. This season, now. And heirloom varieties that aren't tainted; and saving seeds, and replanting, and communicating with each other to trade varieties.

Look around on the 'net and you'll find lots of resources.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:08 PM   #7
elSicomoro

There is no indication that Tyson is a "shill" for Big Ag. Several scientists have expressed either support or neutrality on GMO.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:25 PM   #8
orthodoc

'Several scientists have expressed either support or neutrality on GMO' means that Tyson isn't shlling for Big Ag?

Sorry, but no. Tyson, in that video, is a shill for Big Ag. 'Several scientists', chosen by Big Ag, don't alter the truth of the matter.

And, seriously, elSi? Leaving aside the big companies/$$$$ and their pathetic fronts, do you really, truly believe this?

What is your educational background?

I'm about ready to just say FUCKYOUVERYMUCH to the wannabe intellects here.

FUCKYOUALLVERYVERYMUCH.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:43 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

His expertize is astrophysics. Being in the spotlight as one of the public faces championing science, he's constantly barraged with challenging positions about anything science related. This comes from reporters, children, and all sorts hoping he'll slip up. I assume his default position is defend science.

I don't think he's a shill for anyone, except maybe science, but no corporate interests. However, I don't agree with him on this issue and think he may be in the default position, because he didn't address this issue, really, he tried to draw parallels I don't think are valid.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:48 PM   #10
elSicomoro

Ortho, you can say "Fuck you very much" if you please. You are certainly entitled to your beliefs, and you seem like you have knowledge on this subject. However, you are coming across as if your thoughts on the matter are paramount, and that those disagreeing are foolish.

I have degrees in psychology and management, and was...*thinks*...2 or 3 classes shy of a biology minor. I am a skeptic...when I see stories that trumpet the latest claims of research, I immediately think about who funded the study, independent variables, statistical significance, etc.

I am also conscious of what I put into my body. I'm not a food purist, but more conscious than most folks.

When I look at the research on GMO, it appears to be generally supportive...and not just by scientists on the dole for Monsanto. Do I worry about GMO stuff? Absolutely...and we are seeing some issues as brought up by Bruce. But I also believe in science.

If you would like a genuine discussion on this, that would be swell. Otherwise, fuck YOU very much.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:51 PM   #11
elSicomoro

I brought up Tyson because that story was published earlier today by MoJo, and it worked into our discussion here.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:14 AM   #12
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I think you both need a cupcake. There may be gmo wheat flour though.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:18 AM   #13
orthodoc

Any time, Ali!

The first thing a principle does is kill somebody; the second thing is, it tastes delicious.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:23 AM   #14
elSicomoro

Old 07-31-2014, 12:23 AM   #15
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Apparently they are delicious.