The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 04-08-2004, 09:27 AM   #1
Griff
still says videotape

Condi up to bat.

Wow, is she quick on her feet, very smart. You can listen to her right now. The funny thing about this administration is the high profile blacks Rice/Powell are obviously there on merit, while the white guys appear to be just money/connections people.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:52 AM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Ms. Rice is brilliant. But I believed Powell on the WMD last February and now he says it was all wrong. Guh.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 09:57 AM   #3
warch
lurkin old school

I'm interested to see if she gets hung out to dry for the administration.

Its also interesting this surprise at, or notability of conservative smart black folk, women. The rarity of the combo. So ridiculously off topic if race or gender comes into play here- but good theater. I watched some coverage on BET, some current events program, where they discussed whether you could support Condi as a sister, even if you might not dig her policy leanings. A coworker listening here with me, who's a middleaged black woman, is pretty convinced that Rice will be used as the handy goat here- is waiting for it.

I think she's simply a team player. Its the nature of the team that's curious.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 10:00 AM   #4
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Y'all act as if there is any reason to believe any on them in the first place.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:05 AM   #5
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

She just bitch-slapped Bob Kerrey flat-out upside the head after a series of strategic declassifications. Something like

"I recall a speech by you, Mr. Kerrey, [in 2000] in which you argued that the correct strategic response to the USS Cole was to take on Saddam Hussein."

Oh that's gotta hurt.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 10:18 AM   #6
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Ok, what damn format does NPR use for their audio stream?
Old 04-08-2004, 01:39 PM   #7
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by warch
I'm interested to see if she gets hung out to dry for the administration.

Its also interesting this surprise at, or notability of conservative smart black folk, women. The rarity of the combo. So ridiculously off topic if race or gender comes into play here- but good theater. I watched some coverage on BET, some current events program, where they discussed whether you could support Condi as a sister, even if you might not dig her policy leanings. A coworker listening here with me, who's a middleaged black woman, is pretty convinced that Rice will be used as the handy goat here- is waiting for it.
I was thinking the same thing.

Quote:
I think she's simply a team player. Its the nature of the team that's curious.
*shakes head* I'm still trying to wrap my mind around that one. Black conservatism...funny. It does exist, I know because I grew up in a pretty conservative family, but politically...I can't do it.

And yeah, I know that the Dems aren't all that either, but better than the Repubs, IMO.

My dad thinks blacks should have their own political party. I'm not holding my breath on that one. Just like with anything that "we" try to do on our own...somehow, something gets sabatoged and goes right to hell.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 07:58 PM   #8
marichiko

Quote:
Originally posted by ladysycamore

My dad thinks blacks should have their own political party. I'm not holding my breath on that one. Just like with anything that "we" try to do on our own...somehow, something gets sabatoged and goes right to hell.
But don't you think this country is already polarized enough along racial lines? Wouldn't a black political party just make things worse? It seems to me that too many white "Archie Bunker" types would automatically vote against someone who was affiliated with a black (or hispanic, or Asian) party without even bothering to consider that candidate's stand on the issues. Besides, don't the issues of merit cut across color lines? I'm not niave. I know that racial and ethnic prejudices are still real problems in this country, but doesn't the fact of their existance hurt every last one of us, whether white or black? Just curious.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:23 AM   #9
lookout123
changed his status to single

You correctly stated that racial and ethnic prejudices still exist in america. they always will as long as there is someone saying "we should have our own ________ because of our color, faith, sex, IQ, etc."
the idea of having a party just for black americans is just as offensive as standing up and saying "ok now, there are too many minorities in our party now, they don't understand what we are trying to accomplish. so as of now, we are establishing a new 'whites only' party" anybody who did that should be tarred and feathered. political issues are not a "black problem", "brown problem", or a "woman's problem" they are "PROBLEMS"
life in america (or anywhere) will never be perfect, but the more people try to separate themselves according to any classification, the more fragmented our society will become and it just becomes a viscious cycle.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:34 PM   #10
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by ladysycamore

What does your dad think about Rainbow/PUSH, then?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 03:42 PM   #11
headsplice
Relaxed

Stay on target!

I'm amazed at what it took to even get her on the stand. The Commission basically had to blackmail the White House intoletting her take the stand. Ridiculous.
Why is it that this particular administration is so damned concerned with secrecy? What do they have to hide?
Old 04-09-2004, 05:35 PM   #12
ladysycamore

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf

What does your dad think about Rainbow/PUSH, then?
Honestly, I don't know. I'd have to ask him, and get back to ya. That reminds me: I have to call him. He's in the hospital (nothing serious...gall stones).

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"

Last edited by ladysycamore; 04-09-2004 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-09-2004, 06:34 PM   #13
ladysycamore

"But don't you think this country is already polarized enough along racial lines? Wouldn't a black political party just make things worse? It seems to me that too many white "Archie Bunker" types would automatically vote against someone who was affiliated with a black (or hispanic, or Asian) party without even bothering to consider that candidate's stand on the issues. Besides, don't the issues of merit cut across color lines? I'm not niave. I know that racial and ethnic prejudices are still real problems in this country, but doesn't the fact of their existance hurt every last one of us, whether white or black? Just curious."

"You correctly stated that racial and ethnic prejudices still exist in america. they always will as long as there is someone saying "we should have our own ________ because of our color, faith, sex, IQ, etc."
the idea of having a party just for black americans is just as offensive as standing up and saying "ok now, there are too many minorities in our party now, they don't understand what we are trying to accomplish. so as of now, we are establishing a new 'whites only' party" anybody who did that should be tarred and feathered. political issues are not a "black problem", "brown problem", or a "woman's problem" they are "PROBLEMS"
life in america (or anywhere) will never be perfect, but the more people try to separate themselves according to any classification, the more fragmented our society will become and it just becomes a viscious cycle."

I invite you both (and anyone else) to go to the following website, and watch the video clip of Dr. Henry Louis Gates discussing his documentary "America Behind The Color Line". You may find some answers to your questions.

Tavis Smiley--PBS

Scroll down to the section that says, "Empowerment", and click on Dr. Gates' picture to see the video clip. He has a lot to say.

In addition, I invite you to read an except from the book that the documentary is based on:
America Behind The Color Lines excerpt.

Interesting comments from author Michael Eric Dyson:
Michael Eric Dyson On Terrorism and Tupac

Resources:
African American World-History

Black Planet

Old 04-09-2004, 09:16 PM   #14
marichiko

Lady S., thank you for the informative, as well as interesting links! Hope your Dad is OK.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:42 PM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally posted by lookout123
You correctly stated that racial and ethnic prejudices still exist in america. they always will as long as there is someone saying "we should have our own ________ because of our color, faith, sex, IQ, etc."
life in america (or anywhere) will never be perfect, but the more people try to separate themselves according to any classification, the more fragmented our society will become and it just becomes a viscious cycle.
Welcome to the Cellar, Lookout. You make an excellent point, it seems that everyone has to add a qualifier before American these days.

BTW, Slate wasn't impressed with Condi.