Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Archives > The Sycamore Manifestos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Sycamore Manifestos Random Acts of Senseless Coherence [Blog view]

Old 11-15-2002, 09:37 PM   #1
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Hack

I watch more TV than I should...

Over the last few years, I've found myself taking a liking to shows with a "local" flavor. It started with "The West Wing" and "The District" when we lived in DC.

Since moving to Philadelphia, there have been at least 2 shows that are centered in the city. One was ABC's "Philly," starring Kim Delaney. I personally liked the show, but it was canceled at the end of last season.

Now, there is a new show on CBS called "Hack." It stars David Morse (St. Elsewhere), George Dzunda (Crimson Tide, L&O's first season), and Andre Braugher (Homicide). It's centered around the character of Michael Olshansky (Morse), a cabbie who used to be a police officer (he got busted for taking money from a crime scene). As a cabbie, he uses his police smarts to bring justice to "the little guy." In tonight's episode, a drunk guy got into the cab, spoke about "not making the same mistakes I did," then dies in the cab. Olshansky uses his former partner (Braugher) and his police smarts to figure out who the man is (he had no ID), and manages to bring closure to the dead man's brother. Tonight was the first time I saw the show...it's a bit sappy, but all in all, not a bad show.

The coolest thing about it though is that it actually appears to be primarily shot in Philadelphia. It's quite possible that it's a lot of effects, but most of the show takes place outside...and I seriously doubt the show has the budget to do such detailed effects: Standing on the Walnut St. bridge, with 30th Street Station in the background; walking along Penn's Landing, with the Ben Franklin Bridge in the background (including the covers on the bridge for the current repair work); throwing the football to his son at Franklin Field. It definitely has more of a local feel than "Philly" did.

Check it out...Fridays at 9P ET on CBS.
Old 11-15-2002, 11:45 PM   #2
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Re: Hack

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
The coolest thing about it though is that it actually appears to be primarily shot in Philadelphia. It's quite possible that it's a lot of effects, but most of the show takes place outside...
It's my understanding that a *lot* of the shooting is done in Philly; and that the only way to do it convincingly. L&O is shot in NYC and look sit; NYPD Blue was shot mostly in Hollywood and looks it too, no matter how many covershots they splice in.

A friend of mine tells me that a mutual friend of ours is involved with the production work in Philly; if I should run into her I'll ask.

Old 11-16-2002, 12:29 AM   #3
elSicomoro

The show seems to be doing okay in the ratings...about 7 million tuned in last Friday. In its time slot, it's only being beaten by Dateline. CBS seems hopeful to keep it for a second season...it was recently picked up for 22 episodes.
Old 11-28-2002, 07:28 AM   #4
elSicomoro

You know, I completely forgot about the show American Dreams, which is centered around a white family of 6 living in West Philadelphia in the early 1960s. Some of it has a legitimate feel: The Bandstand footage, using a PTC trolley, the bandstand cameras with "WFIL-TV" on them.

But other than that, it doesn't have that Philadelphia feel. Philly had more of a feel than this show, and Philly was also shot in Hollywood. One of the most glaring examples to me of the made-up-ness: The family's older children attend a school called East Catholic, which does not exist. In the last episode, East Catholic was playing for the city football championship against Washington High, which appeared to be a primarily black school.

Philadelphia does indeed have a Washington High, in the Far Northeast. But I would imagine that in 1963, there was no black person within 5 miles of that school. And I would assume that at that time, most kids still went to their neighborhood school.

Of course, I've been wrong before...
Old 01-17-2003, 09:06 PM   #5
elSicomoro

As I'm walking to my now-former office Wednesday morning, I see a bunch of tractor trailers parked on Market Street near Independence Mall, along with signs saying no parking between 3am and noon. As I'm walking past the CBS 3/WYSP building, I notice a catering table set up right on the sidewalk, with various hot and cold foods. (I should have stolen some...there was no one around at that time...and it looked good.) I'm not completely sure, but I believe they were shooting scenes for an upcoming episode of Hack. They had pretty much finished up by the time I was there (a little after 8am), but I sure wish I could have been there while they were filming. I got to see some shooting one time when I was in Chicago...I believe it was for some movie, but don't remember which one.
Old 01-18-2003, 09:44 AM   #6
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

I guess that's the good thing about the setting always being at night -- they have fewer problems filming. It's a great show, too. I've only seen one full episode, and it was when Morse helped a father look for his daughter that had run away and was being sexually exploited.
Old 01-26-2003, 09:35 PM   #7
elSicomoro

Friday's episode was great. Olshansky (Morse) winds up getting played by a woman who says she's been abused by her husband (a police officer), but it turns out that he's just a control freak and hasn't abused her.

Next Friday's show looks good too...apparently, Olshansky is going to have an opportunity to clear his name, but at the expense of his former partner (Braugher).

Good stuff...I'm really digging this show.