The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2001, 10:41 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

BMW is trying to address the safety problems of scooters and this is the item they're coming out with. Obviously they're trying to do what cars to and provide a safety zone where the rider is.

Of course, this won't be available in the US.

Old 04-30-2001, 06:06 PM   #2
russotto
Professor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Shepps

BMW is trying to address the safety problems of scooters and this is the item they're coming out with. Obviously they're trying to do what cars to and provide a safety zone where the rider is.

So what happens in a crosswind?

IMO, people in the 1st World have to become less risk-averse. Either that or while we're huddling in our super-safe cocoons, a bunch of people from developing nations are going to blast by us in nuclear-powered motorcycles and leave us in the dust. And I don't want to have to learn Swahili, Gujerati, Hindi, Russian, etc...
Old 04-30-2001, 11:06 PM   #3
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally posted by russotto
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Shepps

So what happens in a crosswind?

IMO, people in the 1st World have to become less risk-averse. Either that or while we're huddling in our super-safe cocoons, a bunch of people from developing nations are going to blast by us in nuclear-powered motorcycles and leave us in the dust. And I don't want to have to learn Swahili, Gujerati, Hindi, Russian, etc...
When I was in high school, decades ago, I did a report on nuclear power and visited Peach Bottom. The PR person there went into a mild diatribe about how the US made them install containment vessels around reactors when the Russians didn't have to. He sounded annoyed at this. This was a few years before Three Mile Island and about a decade before Chernobyl.

Sometimes the US is too risk averse, but I personally would still prefer us to err on the side of caution.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
Closed Thread