The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 07-08-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
chrisinhouston
Professor

Favorite lenses

Just a personal note on the 2 of my favorite lenses in my gear bag.

The first it my Canon 85mm f1.2 which is great for portraits and in low light. You have to be careful to make sure you get what you want in focus as the depth of field wide open is next to nothing at wide open. I try for eye lashes when shooting portraits.

My second favorite is my Sigma 800 f5.6 for those long shots and the ability to pull the background into the subject. Only problem with this lens is you have to use a large sturdy tripod and it is big and heavy to travel with, I carry mine in it's own metal case. Great for wildlife though!
Attached Images

chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:53 AM   #2
nowhereman
sliding down the razor blade of life

Lots of Nikon gear, but my favorite lens is the 15mm f/5.6 retilinear lens. If you keep it level and square the verticals don't distort (except way out at the edges). It's a great lens for tight spaces - I do a lot of photographing installations in art galleries.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
Sperlock
Elite Elitist

I've only got 2 lenses - the Canon 85mm f/1.8, which I haven't been able to use as much as I would like, and the Canon 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:46 AM   #4
Scriveyn
amnesic-confabulatory opsimath

Got started on DSLR last month. So, to date, my only two lenses are
Canon 70-200 f4.0 (excellent stuff) and Sigma 17-50 f2.8 (need to evaluate this some more).

Name:  sparrow2.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  164.8 KB

Canon at 200mm, distance approx 10m, picture cropped & downsized to 63% to fit the forum

Scriveyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:46 AM   #5
chrisinhouston
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
Lots of Nikon gear, but my favorite lens is the 15mm f/5.6 retilinear lens. If you keep it level and square the verticals don't distort (except way out at the edges). It's a great lens for tight spaces - I do a lot of photographing installations in art galleries.
I had that one back in my Nikon F3 days. Unfortunately while shooting aerials on a helicopter over the Houston ship channel many years ago the front element somehow came loose and fell a few hundred feet into the channel! My insurance did replace it though! I now have a Canon 15mm fish-eye which is fun for the occasional wide angle distortion picture and also the Canon 16-36mm which is my standby for wide angles with hardly any noticeable distortion.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:57 AM   #6
chrisinhouston
Professor

Scriveyn, those are good choices. You are covering a good bit of focal length range as well as keeping your gear a bit lighter with the f4 instead of the f2.8.

I have owned several Sigma lenses in the past but the Canon bug got to me and I upgraded several of them. I really liked the Sigma 100-500, it was sharp and focused very quickly.

Here is one of The Blue Angels from my son's USNA graduation event shot with that lens.

The next shot was also from that event but shot with the fish-eye
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2011, 03:31 PM   #7
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

If you bought those two lenses Chris mentions in the first post, new, they would cost just over what I made the last six months I worked.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:02 PM   #8
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

I very much liked my Nikkor 24-120vr. Great walk-around lens
Old 07-11-2011, 10:13 AM   #9
chrisinhouston
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
If you bought those two lenses Chris mentions in the first post, new, they would cost just over what I made the last six months I worked.
Yes they can be expensive, I purchased the 85mm for shooting my brother in law's wedding and he was paying me about $2500 so it paid for the lens and the plane ticket.

I got the 800 on eBay for about $2000 as it was used and it was the previous model to the one Sigma has in their line up now but I have seen no discernible quality issues with whatever this one does not have as opposed to the new one. The Canon version runs around $11,000 new which is kind of crazy!
Old 07-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #10
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Yeah, but, you definitely get what you pay for when buying glass.

But, it hurts so much.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote