The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 01-09-2004, 10:06 AM   #1
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Booze

Sip or slam, for peace or party -- alcohol is often a wonderful thing.

Beer? Delicious. Any good local brews? I worship Tampa's own Ybor Gold, created in a brewery in the local bar district and distributed to Tampa area stores. Enjoy imports? Newcastle was the old college standby, but I'm not sure why. Tales abound of mysterious states that have no regulation on alcohol content in beer and of rediculously high proofs, but these are merely legends in the state of Florida.

You're a hard liquor person? Outstanding. I'm still searching for good recipies and am always confused by what appear to be novelty drinks -- 99 Bananas, Sour Apple Pucker, and various infused rums. Do peole really purchase this stuff? I also heard a small rumor that 43 is not readily available in most places and, if true, I pity the rest of the country. You have no idea what you're missing when you combine this blend into ginger ale and produce what tastes exactly like a light cream soda.

The weekend rapidly approaches! Unusual recipies or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 10:46 AM   #2
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Beer - Guinness is my favorite draft and Corona is my favorite bottle. I also like Woodpecker Cider on tap when I'm in the mood - tastes like Granny Smith applejack to me and I love Granny Smith apples.

Liquor - I like so many and my favorite changes on a weekly basis. The most interesting liquor that made it to the top recently was The Elixir of Dr. Roux - an herbal liquor that, for lack of a better description, tastes like Chartreuse. My all-time favorite, I suppose, is Bombay Sapphire. Thankfully, I'm not a Scotch fan since the prices on the really good Scotch are through the roof. I also like some of the really good Mexican Tequilas like Herradura. Every now and then, I'll buy a bottle of Jager or Yukon Jack.

I don't know why but while I never experiment with beer (Guiness or Corona), It may take over a year before I've bought two of the same liquors.

Good topic!!
Old 01-09-2004, 10:55 AM   #3
Kitsune
still eats dirt

My all-time favorite, I suppose, is Bombay Sapphire.

G-Gin? Oh, no... just thinking about it makes the stomach protest. I'll stick to the card game of the same name, instead.

Scotch is weird to me and everyone that drinks it states that it is an "aquired taste". I've tried to aquire it, but I don't even get close before the group consuming it and urging me to try it begins acting snooty. It tastes like smoke smells! Its around that time that I go back to hugging my bottle of Amaretto.

Speaking of gin, I'll state right now that there are two other evils in this world: Goldschlager and Jagermeister. If you've ever been truly sick and it wasn't due to a virus, it is almost certainly blamed on either of these two liquids. Stay away, far away. Recently I saw someone actually mix these two to create a super nauseating drink.

I ran like hell.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:05 AM   #4
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Domestic MacroBrewed Beer: MGD, Michelob

Domestic MicroBrewed Beer: Too many to list but among them are Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Imports: When I was in college I loved Watney's Red Barrel but you can't find that anymore, Newcastle Brown Ale, Guinness, John Smith Lager, Fosters, Kirin Ichiban Shibori, etc.

I'm not a fan of Dutch, German, or Canadian Beers.

Hard Liquor...

Mixed...

I like Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum & Coke

Straight...

Patron Tequila
Old 01-09-2004, 11:16 AM   #5
perth
Strong Silent Type

My favourite drink? Vodka tonic, twist of lime. I personally prefer a 1 to 1 ratio of vodka to tonic, but case seems to like a 1 to 3. By twist of lime, I don't mean lime juice so much as I mean the essential oils from the peel (although a little juice is certainly acceptable).

I love wheat beer, my favourite is Sunshine Wheat, by a microbrewery call New Belgium based out of Fort Collins, CO.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 11:18 AM   #6
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Captian and coke.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 11:22 AM   #7
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

I have never managed to acquire a taste for beer, despite my multiple attempts at it. My tongue rejects it like a bad kidney, and after the gag reflex fires a couple warning shots, I cease the effort.

I used to drink straight vodka or tequila on occasion, but like so many before me, I had a bad tequila experience. Since that day, I still have a hard time drinking any alcohol straight. It was a very unpleasant experience for which my tstomach has never forgiven me.

My staple has long been the Long Island Iced Tea, because it has a smooth flavor, but it's potent. I need A LOT of alcohol to even begin feeling it, though I don't know why... I'm not that big a dude (about 5'10", and 175lbs).

Most of the time I end up making mixed drinks and martinis for my wife and I. One of her favorirte drinks uses Apple Pucker: the Apple Martiini (1 part vodka, 1 part apple pucker, and dash of Sprite seems to be the best). I also often make Chocolate Mudslides, and we have the ingredients for a variety of Cosmopolitans, Midori Sours, Amaretto Sours, and more. My bar still needs some stocking though, so we can have a little more variety available. I mean to get some Gin, Rum, and a few others. Probably some more sweet-drink types of things, like the makings for a Banana Split, because that's what Britt prefers.

One drink I enjoy is the El Presidente at Chili's restaurant (minus the salt). Good stuff.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:58 PM   #8
Kitsune
still eats dirt

My staple has long been the Long Island Iced Tea, because it has a smooth flavor, but it's potent.

Long Island Ice Tea -- ah, that is some good stuff. Since every version I've had had is slightly different than the previous, may I ask what you put in yours?

I keep wanting the ability to make them at home, but I don't look forward to spending the $100 minimum just to purchase the many bottles of liquor needed for this drink.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:39 PM   #9
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Long Islands are only made one way (Former Bartender) but they taste differently according to the skill of the bartender. I never had a complaint about long islands, but that may be because they were too drunk. The bar I worked at last used jiggers with 5/8 oz rather than 1/2 oz so they were getting a lot of alcohol.

Collins Glass w/ ice

EXACTLY 1/2 oz each

Vodka
Gin
Rum
Tequila
Triple Sec

1 1/2 oz Sour Mix

Spash of Coke (enough to give it an iced tea color)

Stir well and add a lemon slice garnish

Note: To make a Long Beach Iced Tea replace the Sour Mix with Cranberry Juice, the Coke with 7up/Sprite, and the lemon wedge with a cherry.

Last edited by Radar; 01-09-2004 at 01:42 PM.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 02:01 PM   #10
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Thanx Radar!

But I have to ask:

What kind of gin do you recommend (while vodka is vodka, gin is most definitely not gin if you know what I mean :-)

And, how do you make sour mix??

ABC store (a Virginia thing)... here I come!

Ummmmmmmm, long island iced tea and NFL playoffs.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:10 PM   #11
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally posted by Beestie
ABC store (a Virginia thing)... here I come!
Huh -- always thought ABC was a Florida thing. Regardless, if they are the same, ABC sells damn near everything!

I'm a chocoholic, but for booze.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:28 PM   #12
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Radar's Long Island recipe is dead-on. As for sour mix, you can buy it, but it doesn't taste as good. Here's how to make some, but it only lasts in the fridge for five days or so:

1. Whisk one egg white until frothy.
2. Stir in one cup of sugar.
3. Add two cups of water.
4. Add two cups fresh squeezed lemon juice.
5. Stir all ingredients well.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:15 PM   #13
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
What kind of gin do you recommend (while vodka is vodka, gin is most definitely not gin if you know what I mean :-)
I disagree about all vodka being vodka, and you'll know what I mean the next day when your skull is splitting. As for Vodka, I'd suggest Fris. But that aside, I'd recommend Tanquerey.

I'm not a gin drinker and even I'll have a T&T (Tanq & Tonic) on occasion.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:27 PM   #14
perth
Strong Silent Type

I really like Grey Goose and Even Skyy, as far as vodka goes. Grey Goose makes an especially nice vodka tonic.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 03:42 PM   #15
warch
lurkin old school

Vodka!
Ketel One

Jameson has been taking the frosty edge off here lately. Medicinal.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote