The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 10-06-2005, 09:52 AM   #1
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Atlanta Time Machine

Ah, my hometown -- how it has changed! The Atlanta Time Machine has me wanting to try this photographic history project with Tampa, but I'm not sure where to find the media archives. I'll check with the local library.

Some historic sites are just left to crumble. So sad! The original at least deserves a bronze plaque!
Attached Images

Last edited by Kitsune; 10-06-2005 at 10:02 AM.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 01:08 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The most striking difference between then and now is there used to be pedestrians.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:21 PM   #3
kelliekd
Internet window-shopper

It's amazing how the city spread out, and that the picture shows no signs of MARTA (public transport). I got an e-mail from the school saying that one of the bridges on campus was crumbling, and to watch for falling debris while walking underneath because it wasn't in Georgia State's budget to fix it for another few years.
kelliekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 03:34 PM   #4
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelliekd
It's amazing how the city spread out, and that the picture shows no signs of MARTA (public transport). I got an e-mail from the school saying that one of the bridges on campus was crumbling, and to watch for falling debris while walking underneath because it wasn't in Georgia State's budget to fix it for another few years.
I would have guessed "Georgia Tech", not "Georgia State" when it comes to a crumbling building warning.

I spent my entire weekend replicating the "then and now" photos with the city of Tampa and should be posting the results, soon. It is amazing how little some areas have changed, while other areas were impossible to "line up" for a shot because there was nothing recognizable remaining. The detective work I had to do was actually a lot of fun and I've found out a lot about the city that I live in.

A small sample of the Kress building in downtown Tampa. If anyone wants to see more, I'll work the rest and put up a dedicated thread.
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2005, 03:55 PM   #5
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Kitsune, I find these comparisons very interesting. Please do put up a thread with this material. My sister lives in Atlanta, and I do get the occasional chance to visit there. I recognize some of the buildings in the downtown skyline, but not the Kress. I wonder how many more I would be able to recognize.

Please, share your work and we'll share our enjoyment.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:42 PM   #6
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Ah, sorry, BigV -- the Kress comparison is from where I currently live, Tampa. You can check the site I listed in the first post in this thread to see much more of Atlanta than I could ever cover in the old vs new comparisons.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:46 PM   #7
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Fine. The Braves suck anyway. Do up Tampa! I do enjoy seeing the old/new comparisons. Coming up we moved around a LOT, and I don't have the same sense of history you seem to have. You have a hometown, one with a history you remember. I only have hometowns I read about.

Come on, show us your pictures, please?
Old 10-10-2005, 09:29 PM   #8
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Will do! Scoot over to the thread in Quality Images: Tampa - Then and Now