The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-18-2005, 11:11 AM   #1
lookout123
changed his status to single

Unhappy Bad start to a day

One of my favorite clients passed away yesterday. Her husband is absolutely torn to pieces. Although she was 70, she was extremely healthy until this happened, so it sounds strange to say of a 70 year old, but it was very unexpected.

She and her husband were among the first of my higher net worth clients to really put their trust in me when i first opened my business. A couple of times each month they would stop by the office just for coffee and would pretend to have questions about the account, when in reality they just enjoyed chatting with a "youngster".

She will be missed, by many, but especially so by her husband. I am not good at comforting people and have no idea what to say to a man who has just lost his partner of 53 years.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:53 AM   #2
chainsaw
Wingnahningning... Er somethin'

Wow, I'm so sorry. Life is so fragile and age doesn't make it hurt any less when you loose someone.

My grandparents were married for 52 years when my grandpa died. It was very hard for my grandma to adjust to being alone, but it's been 5 years and she's doing great. She is very religous and believes they will be reunited when the time is right.

I can't imagine what her husband is feeling, but I bet he'd love to hear from you. He'll need those chats over coffee more than ever now.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:10 PM   #3
mrnoodle
bent

"I'm sorry" and a hug is about all most people are looking for (if you're on hugging terms). It makes everyone feel awkward if you try to say too much more, and they'll be hurt if you don't say anything, so just keep it simple. IMO. And if he wants to talk about it, let him ramble for as long as he wants.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:55 PM   #4
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Sorry to hear about this , Mr Noodle is right , keep it simple .
A a clients secertary that has been there for EVER wasn't there the other day , I asked where she was " retired ??" , no she , her ,elderly father ,and her brother were all killed by a tornado . I was FLOORED !!!!!!
So ya see life is fragle , enjoy it while you can , rember the good times .
Old 02-18-2005, 07:58 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I used to send my Uncle a bundle of clippings and things I found on the net, I thought he'd be interested in, a couple of times a month. After he died at Christmas, I've continued to send a bundle to my aunt of things tailored more to her taste.
In her letters she has thanked me profusely and has sent me newspaper clippings like he used to do. She appreciates the continuity and something to keep her busy, being alone for the first time in over 50 years.
Lookout, I'd suggest you make an effort to make sure he understands he's still welcome to visit. Sometimes people gobsmacked like this feel EVERYTHING is changed and don't know exactly what they can/should do.