The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 11-05-2008, 10:39 AM   #1
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Well, I WAS happy when I heard Obama had won, but...

THEN I realized he is the 1st president YOUNGER THAN ME!!!!

Old 11-05-2008, 10:41 AM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Just tell him to get the hell off your lawn.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:43 AM   #3
Cloud

but he specifically included "gay and straight" Americans in his speech. outstanding!
Old 11-05-2008, 10:54 AM   #4
Pie
Gone and done

...and then Cali went and passed Prop 8. Asshats.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:18 AM   #5
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
Ironically, it looks like it was Obama's candidacy that pushed prop 8 over the top. He brought black and Latino voters to the polls in record numbers, who voted overwhelmingly for Obama, but who also voted for passage of prop 8.

"The proposition was trailing among white voters, but was ahead among black voters. Latino voters were closely divided." - LA Times

Without Obama at the top of the ticket, Prop 8 probably loses.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:22 AM   #6
Pie
Gone and done

I know. It's hard to balance the rights for one minority group against those of another. Why can't we recognize rights as being universal?
Old 11-05-2008, 11:25 AM   #7
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

From the LA Times
As Proposition 8, the most divisive and emotionally fraught issue on the state ballot this year, took a lead in early returns, supporters gathered at a hotel ballroom in Sacramento and cheered.
"We caused Californians to rethink this issue," Proposition 8 strategist Jeff Flint said.

Early in the campaign, he noted, polls showed the measure trailing by 17 points.

"I think the voters were thinking, well, if it makes them happy, why shouldn't we let gay couples get married. And I think we made them realize that there are broader implications to society and particularly the children when you make that fundamental change that's at the core of how society is organized, which is marriage," he said.

Oh FFS, think of the freaking children? So, heterosexual couples without children are also an anomaly in this little sacred marriage ploy?
Old 11-05-2008, 11:29 AM   #8
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

And now Yes on Prop. 8 is holding a narrow lead, and has since about one this morning. Still, the numbers -- that very nearly one voter in every two is sympathetic to the gay plight, and doesn't see that gays in publicly sworn commitment is going to collapse Western civilization or any other -- are going to cause the matter to be carefully rethought, even by those disinclined.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:51 AM   #9
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
So, heterosexual couples without children are also an anomaly in this little sacred marriage ploy?
You want a point of view based on religion and the sex "ick" factor to be rational?
Good luck with that argument.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:57 PM   #10
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
I'm as mad as you. It was the catholic vote. I take solace in the fact that we'll have a Democratic President, and a Democratically controlled Senate and Congress. They may be able to pass an amendment to the Constitution to guarantee gay people the right to marry, and another to protect the right of a woman to have an abortion at any stage of pregnancy without any permission, notification, or oversight of any person or government entity.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:10 PM   #11
Pie
Gone and done

None of them have gone that far, Radar. President-Elect Obama (I love saying that!) doesn't officially support same-sex marriage, after all.

I was really hoping that the progressive state of California would display some leadership on this issue, as they have on others.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:46 PM   #12
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
They may be able to pass an amendment to the Constitution to ...
Don't amendments have to be ratified or approved somehow by a certain number of states? I'm just saying, passing an amendment isn't like passing a law. Nor should it be.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:40 PM   #13
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I know it's small consolation, but eventually America will find itself isolated by being the only Western country that doesn't allow same sex legal partnerships and will be forced to address it.

Then again... hasn't worked with capital punishment I suppose...
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:10 PM   #14
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

How is the Constitution amended?

Article V of the Constitution prescribes how an amendment can become a part of the Constitution. While there are two ways, only one has ever been used. All 27 Amendments have been ratified after two-thirds of the House and Senate approve of the proposal and send it to the states for a vote. Then, three-fourths of the states must affirm the proposed Amendment.
The other method of passing an amendment requires a Constitutional Convention to be called by two-thirds of the legislatures of the States. That Convention can propose as many amendments as it deems necessary. Those amendments must be approved by three-fourths of the states.

The actual wording of Article V is: “The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States, or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress; Provided that no Amendment which may be made prior to the Year One thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any Manner affect the first and fourth Clauses in the Ninth Section of the first Article; and that no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the Senate.”