The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-05-2004, 07:50 PM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Clinton Book Signing

We went to the Constitution Center today for a conversation about politics with former President Clinton to be followed by a book signing.

The guest of honor was over an hour late due to weather grounding his plane. He ended up coming by car.

To keep the crowd entertained, Governor Rendell led an impromptu 45 minute question and answer about politics, including his estimation of Kerry's running mate choices and take on Iraq.
Wow.

So it took a while, but we heard Clinton discuss politics and his legacy. Marci, Jeffrey , and I got our books signed and a handshake. Then we went and looked over some exhibits.

A long and interesting day.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 08:49 PM   #2
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

That's very cool. I met former president Jimmy Carter on a Habitat site - meeting a former president is something you don't forget.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:55 PM   #3
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Speaking of Jimmy, he was off monitoring an election this weekend, in Indonesia.

Rich, no photos?
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 09:00 PM   #4
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore
Speaking of Jimmy, he was off monitoring an election this weekend, in Indonesia.

Rich, no photos?
No cameras allowed.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 10:25 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

He's just a man. He takes his pants off one chick at a time, just like you do.
Who did Rendell pick for VP?
Old 07-05-2004, 11:47 PM   #6
marichiko

I met Jimmy Carter once when he was signing his first book of poetry,Always a reckoning, at the Tattered Cover Bookstore in Denver. The poor man was signing away like a robot, and I broke the protocol by reaching out my hand to shake his and telling him how much I admired his work on Habitat for Humanity. He actually looked me in the eye and "saw" me and said, "thank-you." It was amazing. I got to shake an ex-president's hand!
Old 07-06-2004, 02:14 AM   #7
bluesdave
Getting older every day

Back in 87 I was living in Tulsa, and one Sunday I turned on a local TV station to watch a fishing show (not much else to do in Tulsa on a Sunday), and there was Jimmy himself, giving his tips on Bass fishing! Sometimes you forget that famous people are still "people" too.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:57 AM   #8
breakingnews
Q_Q

[gloat]
I had dinner with Jimmy Carter and his wife two years ago. Every year at Emory U. before Carter's town hall meeting/speech/forum, a handful of students are invited to dine with him. Though there were only 10 of us, the two who sat next to the Carters totally monopolized the conversation. Oh well. I remember the chicken being really dry. But at least I got a front-row seat for the speech. Pretty neat.
[/gloat]

Oh, BTW, the Carter Center in Atlanta is owned by Emory in some weird, supposedly non-political relationship.

Last edited by breakingnews; 07-06-2004 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Had to clarify!
breakingnews is offline   Reply With Quote