The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-19-2004, 02:38 PM   #1
jaguar
whig

Next time you're chatting to someone in a bar...

Remember this.
here

Quote:
The bill would allow Pentagon intelligence agents to work undercover and question American citizens and legal residents without having to reveal that they are government agents.
And before you think the chances of getting caught out by some guys with earpieces that seem eager to talk to you, think about this quote from the slashdot discussion of this.

Quote:
How about one day you're hanging out at a bar, and you meet a girl who seems really friendly, you get along, and you start to go out. You happen to be a writer, and one day your typewriter breaks, and guess what? she happens to have a typewriter she can give you! Then you find out a year from now that the typewriter is bugged and records everything you write ...

This is what happened to Philip Agee, CIA defector, in Paris. A long and elaborate ruse involving gaining his trust and a series of 'accidental' occurrences seemingly unrelated. But that was done outside of the US, where warrants aren't necessary and it's basically just espionage.

Do you really want this kind of thing to be able to happen domestically? No constitution, no bill of rights, no need for warrants, no need for transparency--just all out domestic espionage operations.
Old 06-19-2004, 03:28 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No.
Old 06-19-2004, 04:24 PM   #3
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How about one day you're hanging out at a bar, and you meet a girl who seems really friendly, you get along, and you start to go out. You happen to be a writer, and one day your typewriter breaks, and guess what? she happens to have a typewriter she can give you! Then you find out a year from now that the typewriter is bugged and records everything you write ...

This is what happened to Philip Agee, CIA defector, in Paris. A long and elaborate ruse involving gaining his trust and a series of 'accidental' occurrences seemingly unrelated. But that was done outside of the US, where warrants aren't necessary and it's basically just espionage.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does 'start to go out' mean sex? Why don't they move it out into the open? If you offered the average American male computer geek the opportunity to have sex with a beautiful woman in exchange for installing a keyboard logger on his computer... + =
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 09:25 AM   #4
russotto
Professor

I'd like the CIA to provide me with lots of sexy women, yes. I'd even type mildly embarrassing stuff up on the laptops these women gave me :-)

(although from everything I've read, the old KGB had sexier women).
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 10:17 AM   #5
breakingnews
Q_Q

I don't feel like I do anything of even moderate importance ... so yeah, if they could get some hot CIA operative to seduce me and give me a blowjo ... I mean keyboard ... why not?

Will the government bust me for smoking a joint on Saturday?

Will they act upon the perverted thoughts between my friends and I about hitting on hot 17-year-old chicks?
breakingnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 03:56 PM   #6
marichiko

I wonder if the government would be equal opportunity about this? If the government cares that I hate it, I imagine somebody in its lowest echelons has noticed one or two of the angry letters I keep writing my so-called "representatives" in congress. Therefore, perhaps, I will be accosted in a bar by some good looking guy with a hot bod? Come to think of it, there WAS this really cute, young guy at the Telluride music festival. He claimed to be a muscian, but... WOW! This means I'll be meeting lots of hot guys in bars for years to come! YES! My government at long last is doing something nice for me. Thank you, George.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:20 PM   #7
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

This will give Ann Coulter an opportunity to prove her patriotism.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote