The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-16-2004, 09:33 PM   #1
blue
Operations Operative

Roll Call

I'm really feeling down right now. I haven't seen a single episode of the Donald Trump show, but have just been exposed to some hour long special about it.

Mostly what it consited of was how to get ahead by fucking people over. Then a nice little bit about how to teach your kids these same "survival skills". But ABC was trying to be fair and balanced so they asked people about ethics. Long story short they talked to people who said "you have to define your own personal ethics" and on ad nauseum.

I'm thinking maybe thats a wee bit of a problem now a days, young people without any sense of anything resembling common decency. And that attitude being reinforced over and over and over and over again on the networks. Ironic these same people getting bent out of shape over Janet Jackson. And while I'm ranting, am I the only one who didn't find her boob all that attractive? Sort of pasty & saggy looking?

So, in this day and age when political correctness rules above all, where killing an unborn gets a cute name like "pro choice", when fighting ragheads who think we are the great satan gets turned into "racial profiling", where a great majority of our population is just a step away from "I slipped on your sidewalk, I want a million bucks", when we're too damn fat too take responsibilty for ourselves that we blame McDonalds?

I suppose I should get to a point here. Roll Call, right?

I see the world through just one set of eyes, right or wrong. I see many issues in black or white. If you are the decendant of a slave family, get over it. I am probably a descendant of a slave owner. and I ain't proud of it either. I've never owned one and you've never been one. If you're proud of the culture of blacks in the US today, you should be ashamed.

I am very proud of my marriage and DO view gay marriage as a threat to the institution. I think lots more can be done to provide partners of any sex with some basic rights, but don't try to shove your lifestyle down my throat, I don't agree with it, but it is your own damn business, so keep it that way.

Can we stop with the out-sourcing, and down-sizing? You fired these people so that you can make a bigger profit. Period. The bottom line is THE ONLY THING that matters to you. Stop pretending that you care about your employees, keep on and you'll find there's no market for your crap when 85% of your market is making minimum wage.

If you think we just "need to understand the problem", and "get to the root cause of it" with Islamic extremist's, I'll give you a short course. WE are the enemy, In the name of God we must die so they can have 72 virgins. OK, end of school. Yes, they really believe this. How do we fight them, we go kill them...we can't defend against this, but we CAN go after them so at least they don't have all day, and a big country to sit and plot and plan this sort of shit.

Alrighty then, now that some think I'm the most intolerant prick they ever laid eyes on, does anyone agree with me?

I am a pretty simple guy. I believe strongly on do onto others. I will never in my life treat an individual any bettter or worse based on skin color, sexual orientation, religion or status. I'm just trying to live my life and be good to others.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:21 PM   #2
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Re: Roll Call

Quote:
Originally posted by blue58
Alrighty then, now that some think I'm the most intolerant prick they ever laid eyes on, does anyone agree with me?
No.

Well, OK, I agree with a some things. And not others.

Story of my life.... in the middle, so I can get shot at by both sides!
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 10:33 PM   #3
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Re: Roll Call

Quote:
Originally posted by blue58
I am very proud of my marriage and DO view gay marriage as a threat to the institution. I think lots more can be done to provide partners of any sex with some basic rights, but don't try to shove your lifestyle down my throat, I don't agree with it, but it is your own damn business, so keep it that way.
Other people's marriages are your business? When two people you don't know get married, something gets shoved down your throat?
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 10:33 PM   #4
blue
Operations Operative

Get off the fence, what do you and don't you agree with?

I know lots of people that have no opinion, I say stand for something, anything....
Old 04-16-2004, 10:38 PM   #5
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I'll keep you in suspense I'll give a point-by-point rundown later.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 10:42 PM   #6
blue
Operations Operative

Re: Re: Roll Call

Quote:
Originally posted by Happy Monkey
Other people's marriages are your business? When two people you don't know get married, something gets shoved down your throat?
Yes, I waited 10 years to get married because I feared it was becoming kind of a joke, "starter marriages", 50% divorce rate, etc.

When I got married, to me it was a VOW, and also a sacred thing. So when I see 24hr celebrity weddings, and men pretending to be married to another man, it is my business, becuse it's something I truly believe in and don't want to see cheapend by the "anything goes" crowd.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:44 PM   #7
blue
Operations Operative

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveDallas
I'll keep you in suspense I'll give a point-by-point rundown later.
OK pokey ;-)
Old 04-16-2004, 11:49 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Blue, you forgot for the love of Christ, hang up the phone and drive the damn car.
Old 04-17-2004, 02:23 AM   #9
Skunks
I thought I changed this.

"Kids these days": Agree.

Janet Jackson = Ugly: Agree.

Abortion: Disagree, but not for any good reason. I half-argued your side mentally, and nearly convinced myself. Playing my complementary 'stubborn asshole' card on this one.

Racial profiling re: Iraq War: When was it called a racial war?

McDonalds & Stupid Lawsuits: Agreed. (I'll post my theory on dieting sometime, perhaps)

Black & White: Disagree. I think too many people simplify things to yes/no answers to multiple choice questions. The middle ground exists: have you stopped beating your wife yet?

Gay marriage: Disagree. How does it threaten you?

Gay rights: Agreed, aside from the marriage point.

Needless euphemisms: Agreed.

Muslim Extremists: Disagree. There are a lot of Muslims. Killing all of them would be difficult and fairly bad, P.R.-wise. No reasonable counteroffer, because I'm tired and lazy. Besides, I'm still waiting for a citation on the 72 (is it just me, or did they add another two in the last month?) virgins bit. Qur'an or hadiths, either is fine.

-- Your resident Islam apologist.
Skunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 08:29 AM   #10
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Janet Jackson: Still pretty damned fine for being in her late 30s.

Her boob shot: It's just a tit...we all have them.

Black culture: There are a lot of good things in it these days. However, many people love to point out the bad things in it right away...whoo! Big surprise there!

Slavery: Still exists today, though it's more covert and economical.

Gays getting married: Married gay people are no threat to married straight people...or anyone else, for that matter. I'm still waiting for a nonreligious amoral reason why they should not be allowed to marry.

This comment from Blue:

Quote:
I will never in my life treat an individual any bettter or worse based on skin color, sexual orientation, religion or status. I'm just trying to live my life and be good to others.
I'm going to call "shenanigans" on this one. That's not to say that Blue isn't a good person--I'm sure he and everyone else have some redeeming qualities about them--but as humans, I don't think we can help but favor some things more than others, if only a small percentage of the time.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 09:48 AM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
I'm going to call "shenanigans" on this one. That's not to say that Blue isn't a good person--I'm sure he and everyone else have some redeeming qualities about them--but as humans, I don't think we can help but favor some things more than others, if only a small percentage of the time.
Not necessarily. We can be more trusting or wary, depending on the listed traits. We may even choose who we hang out with, based on those traits, without treating them differently when we interact.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:52 AM   #12
wolf
lobber of scimitars

There are variations, of course, but blue58, I think we may have been separated at birth ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 10:00 AM   #13
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
I will never in my life treat an individual any bettter or worse based on skin color, sexual orientation, religion or status. I'm just trying to live my life and be good to others.
Quote:
so, if you prevent gays from marrying, are you not treating them worse than straight people?

did you just want to have an argument here? which of your views would you like to have challenged? i'll argue whichever side you'd like if it helps you to cement your beliefs. or were you hoping for more of a general argument about how you view the world. If the latter is true, i would argue that you oversimplify and take the easy, more natrual route in most of these positions. seeing the world in black and whites is probalbly the only way you can be sure to be wrong.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 10:07 AM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
so, if you prevent gays from marrying, are you not treating them worse than straight people?
Hell no, he's treating them better than straights.:p
Old 04-17-2004, 01:52 PM   #15
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
Not necessarily. We can be more trusting or wary, depending on the listed traits. We may even choose who we hang out with, based on those traits, without treating them differently when we interact.
I promise that I will always treat you with suspicion and contempt, both here and in person...since you covet my woman.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote