The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 11-30-2003, 09:09 PM   #1
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Cool Show on Travel Channel

I'm watching a show called "Temples of Rock" on The Travel Channel as I sit here in my very nice hotel room in Austin, typing to the Cellar on a free broadband connection, right down the street from Dell HQ.

If this show runs again later tonight, I recommend it. Very interesting stories from cool people about the heyday of rock and roll and punk. CBGB, The Cavern Club, Fillmore West, Whiskey A-Go-Go, and the people who played there and ran the places back in the day. Well, those who are still alive, anyway. It is hosted by Ray Manzarek of The Doors, who tells the tale of Morrison's acid-fueled performance of "The End" with the added Oedipus dialogue for the first time.

Wheee!!!
Old 11-30-2003, 10:58 PM   #2
warch
lurkin old school

Dang Patrick! Its still early, get to town and hear some live music! Late night chips and queso!
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 11:27 PM   #3
Elspode

Been on planes all day...too tired. Gotta get up too early.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:42 AM   #4
warch
lurkin old school

Piker! Austin doesnt wake up until 11 AM.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:06 PM   #5
Elspode

I drove downtown tonight, cruised 6th Street and Congress. Went over the 'Bat Bridge' and saw the cool bat sculpture, but I also learned a valuable lesson...you cannot park on Congress Ave. or 6th Street at night. No empty spaces!

I'll probably go down there tomorrow straight from work so I can get my bearings while there's still a modicum of daylight. Looks like I can get an actual Texican local cuisine type meal there, as opposed to all the cookiecutter restauroboxes out here along I-35 in Round Rock (so far north it really isn't Austin anymore).

In any event, I have to get up at 6:00, so starting to party at 11:00 isn't really an option, and besides, I don't really party. Just thought I might catch a good band over dinner or something.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:43 AM   #6
warch
lurkin old school

I've always been troubled by party as a verb.

Good music, good food, thats the fun.

Some good food/music places

Jovita's (South, funky mexican patio- variety of music)

La Zona Rosa (downtown, fairly large club- texmex, variety of music)

Threadgill's (North, Classic country fried acoustic, Janis joplin memorabilia)

I guess you can tell I'd really like to be there!
Old 12-02-2003, 02:22 PM   #7
Hubris Boy
Keymaster of Gozer

Quote:
Originally posted by warch
I've always been troubled by party as a verb.
I share your pain. I still haven't recovered from 'disrespect' becoming a verb.
Hubris Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 02:33 PM   #8
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

You better both take cover, because it looks like "google" as a verb is here to stay!!

At a previous job, many of our students used "vax" as a verb, as in, "I'll vax [aka email] you later." Some also used "vax" to mean an actual email. One of them once asked me, "did you get the vax I sent you?" They didn't get it when I said, "I had to refuse delivery because it wouldn't fit through my front door."
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 02:46 PM   #9
warch
lurkin old school

Know what else bugs me? Just slowly eating away at my brain...?

Drive Safe. or Drive careful.
Walk slow.
Think Different. Think quick.
Play defensive.

Give me a real adverb please.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:25 PM   #10
Elspode

Take two LY's and call me in the morning.

Warch, I came *so* close to going into Threadgills for dinner. Damn! Joplin memorabilia? I would have loved that shit. I used to put on her live album and play ping pong until I dropped when I was a teenager...I fucking love Janis.

I didn't get to hear any music (the loony guy on the street playing a duct-taped Ovation doesn't count), but I had an excellent meal at a place called Al Capone's. Fabulous Italian, just great, and reasonably priced. Enjoyed some shops and just gawking while driving. It has been a good trip on both a professional and recreational level. I don't really think I could have expected it to turn out any better than it has...drove all over Austin tonight blaring Sinatra with the windows down on a balmy 68 degree evening.

First chance I've had to run free without wife and/or kids for a very long time...although I would probably would have enjoyed it even more if the Mrs. had been with me. We travel well together.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:54 AM   #11
warch
lurkin old school

Glad to hear you had a good trip!
I'm now trying to tune in a visual for the whole marathon ping pong Joplin thing...!

And you are correct! Wives do make roadtrips better. You'll have to come back soon, just a drive down 35. It really is a fun town to hang out in.