The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-01-2003, 10:40 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Oh brother dept

Sorry in advance dave.

The suicide bombing that took place a few days ago, to note the beginning of the "roadmap to peace", was carried out by British citizens. (Well, one. The other didn't blow up, and ran away instead.)

It turns out they were there posing as peace activists in the International Solidarity Movement. As in: Rachel Corrie.

It turns out these two took part in "human shield" type activity in Gaza (exactly what Corrie was doing) and were also part of a march protesting Corrie's death.

The more you know.

http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...ixnewstop.html
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 08:21 AM   #2
dave

That kind of shit is indefendable. What are you apologizing for?

I still feel differently about the Corrie situation, and that's okay. But this isn't really the place to debate that.

Too bad the failed one didn't get double tapped by someone standing nearby. I guess after one goes off, you hit the ground.
Old 05-02-2003, 10:23 AM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

They probably don't eat lead because of the possibility of the explosives being rigged to a deadman switch.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 10:39 AM   #4
dave

Nah, it's happened before where someone misfired their bomb and he got capped.

Either way, the suicide bomber intends on dying and taking out a lot. Why not shoot him, since the chances are better that the bomb won't go off?
Old 05-02-2003, 11:13 AM   #5
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It's the Corrie bit I'm apologizin' for.
Old 05-02-2003, 11:22 AM   #6
dave

No, I got it. But saying they were part of the same group she was (and implying what?) means nothing. ISM is not, by nature, a terrorist organization such as Hamas or Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades. Liken it to the Republican party. Because I'm a member doesn't mean I think Ashcroft is a godsend or President Bush was chosen by God.

Was she a suicide bomber?

So then what, exactly, is the connection? Individuals committed the acts, and the ISM can be blamed how? How does any blame transfer to her? Huh?

What, exactly, are you apologizing for?
Old 05-02-2003, 11:31 AM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Well at one point you were sick of it or something. In any case there will be no more Corries as the ISM is going to be nudged out of existence: Israel is stopping any further non-citizens from going to Palestine. (You might recall earlier the ISM had been sheltering a thug, and this is not that big of an organization. Quack.)

(Edit: Israel is stopping international "peace" protestors, not just anyone.)
Old 05-02-2003, 11:47 AM   #8
dave

Unfortunately, yes, it appears as though they were not as innocent as they'd have the world believe. Which is disappointing, because it destroys their credibility, even on the issues where they are clearly in the right. The Palestinians need an ISM-type organization that is completely peaceful and has no ties with terrorism. Sit-ins and other peaceful public protest (what do they call it now, non-violent civil disobedience?) are a moral high-ground for effecting change (see Martin Luther King, Jr. and Mohandas Gandhi, etc). But then they give refuge to a terrorist and they lose that moral high ground.