The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 07-24-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
SamIam

Road Trip, Road Trip!

I am taking a for reals road trip at long last. I'm leaving tomorrow and returning ? My first stop will be Durango where I'm dropping off a job app (why i'm bothering, I don't know). Then I'll head out on highway 550 over Red Moutain Pass - this route is known as the Million Dollar Highway for both its spectacular beauty and all the old mines for precious metals that can be found in the area - sometimes quite close to the road.

I haven't driven over Red Mountain in years and can't wait to see it again. The only draw back will be the tourists, but I'm pretty good at frightening them out of my way. The road descends into the town of Ouray which has hot springs and bills itself as the "Switzerland of America." It's not, but it lies in an extremely rugged and breath taking part of the world and is well worth a visit.

Then its on to Ridgeway where I'll have to decide if I want to turn back into the mountains and do a little off roading to find an alpine camp site all to myself and out of the heat. There is also a snappy state park outside Ridgeway which offers every amenity to the traveler from actual yurts to "primitive" camp sites. "Primitive" means you have to pack your camping stuff across a bridge over a little creek and find your designated camp spot - $18.00 to be "primative." I don't know what they call off-roading in the mountains that border the Weimenuch Wilderness Area. Maybe "crazy chick camping." My choice will depend on what time I pull up to the cross road and how energetic I'm feeling.

Day two I'm hitting the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. People tell me it's drop dead beautiful. I've only ever been to the overlook and it DID look very amazing. Hopefully, I can find a campsite in the area where I don't have to deal with National Park Nazi's. They don't like off roading, they have wierd rules like you can't bring wood in from another state to build a campfire, you must stay on the trails, you can't let your poodle lose at twilight to possibly be eaten by a cougar, you cannot climb or jump up and down on rock formations during a thunderstorm, and you must sign the trail registers.

The National Park Service is worse than a strict parent who never lets you have any fun. Everytime I visit a National Park, it's all I can do to refrain from staking out a poodle in cougar country at twilight, scatter catnip around and call "Here, kitty, kitty." I sign trail registers "Edward Abbey," and I long to do a war dance on a promisingly high rock formation as soon as I see a stroke of lightening hit.

If I survive the Black Canyon, its on to a campsite that I have discovered right on the Colorado River and just over the Utah border. It's on public land, but so far it has been discovered by almost no one. I have always had it completely to myself. The river is wide and deep there, warm enough to be perfect for skinny dipping, and filled with solemn looking brown trout who splash so loudly in the river that they can wake you up at night. There are also pelicans, cranes, and other water birds.

I can either follow the Colorado downside along a dirt road that goes almost the entire way to Moab and Canyonlands and Arches and all that cool stuff. Except in mid-July, Moab is anything but cool. If I go that route, that's the stretch to crank up the AC, get out of the car as seldom as possible, and look at all that stuff through your windshield and mentally plan a return trip in October or so.

If I am really still gung ho, I'll turn onto the road that takes me up toward the Utah mountains and Bridges National Monument. Or I could just mosey on back to Cortez or...

Of course I may deviate from this plan since there are so many great places to go and it's very hard to decide. I do promise pix, though. May stop at an Internet Cafe in Grand Junction or Moab or may just wait until I get home to post them.

Look out Colorado Plateau! Here I come!
Attached Images

SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Have a good trip, Sam, and don't forget pictures of the skinny dipping.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Wait a sec... What about the Bates motel job? Did you quit, get fired or are you taking a leave or vacation?
Old 07-24-2011, 08:53 PM   #4
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Wait a sec... What about the Bates motel job? Did you quit, get fired or are you taking a leave or vacation?
The stupid Bates motel only has me working on the weekends. I want more hours, but someone needs to quit before I can get them. So, Monday until Saturday at 8:00am, I can do as I please. And it pleases me to get the hell out of here even though I'll be dipping in my savings to do it.

@Bruce: Well, seeing as how it's you, I'll see what I can do.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:58 PM   #5
classicman

Oh in that case - have a blast and yeh - take pics. I'd be happy with animals, landscape and or flowers though.
Where you are going sounds beautiful.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

WOw, how cool. Have a blast along the way, don't forget to stop and smell the roses.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:36 PM   #7
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
They don't like off roading, they have wierd rules like you can't bring wood in from another state to build a campfire, you must stay on the trails, you can't let your poodle lose at twilight to possibly be eaten by a cougar, you cannot climb or jump up and down on rock formations during a thunderstorm, and you must sign the trail registers.

The National Park Service is worse than a strict parent who never lets you have any fun. Everytime I visit a National Park, it's all I can do to refrain from staking out a poodle in cougar country at twilight, scatter catnip around and call "Here, kitty, kitty." I sign trail registers "Edward Abbey," and I long to do a war dance on a promisingly high rock formation as soon as I see a stroke of lightening hit.
I salute you.

Take copies of your resume. You never know when you might chance across that half-open door that you just need to get your foot in.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:38 PM   #8
monster
I hear them call the tide

what zen said. Have fun.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #9
SamIam

OK, I'm back and , as promised, here are some pix. I only made it about 30 miles up 145 to Telluride when I noticed the turn off to Dunton - famous for it's hot springs back in the day but now privately owned. I have boycotted that road for years, but for some reason, I decided to turn off on it and check it out. WOW!

The road follows the West Dolores River as it cascades down from high mountains covered with aspen. I checked out a couple of Forest Service "official" campgrounds and was not impressed. I wanted to get up HIGH! So, I did. Had to put the truck in 4WD for the last few miles before I came across a fantastic campsite I had all to myself.
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #10
SamIam

That Aspen meadow was great. I even was treated to music from the West Dolores High Country Coyote Choir around sunset. Wonderful musicians all. I recommend them if they ever show up on tour in your town.

Wildflower pix: (the first is a bracket fungus growing on a downed aspen).
Attached Images

Last edited by SamIam; 08-06-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:16 AM   #11
Griff
still says videotape

Glorious!
Old 08-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #12
SamIam

TY, Griff! I will continue to post pix as I have the chance. Here's some more shot on the way out from the Aspen Grove on Forest Service Road 535 which goes from asphalt to loose gravel as it climbs ever higher to join Highway 145 again. I'm less than 50 miles from home at this point. How lucky am I to have these places for my back yard!
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2011, 12:35 PM   #13
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Ow wow Sam - they look like scenes from movies!
What a wonderful trip.

I can in all honestly say I've never seen anything like it in my life.
The clouds look like fungus, the fugus looks like clouds!
Thank you.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:34 AM   #14
classicman

wow - beautiful! I could die there very happily.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:38 AM   #15
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

that one you named ' red mountain majesty ' is now my wallpaper. great fucken shots. THAT is God's country