The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-17-2002, 03:02 PM   #1
headsplice
Relaxed

Dream Job

I was reading Sycamore's Newsstand thread, and was wondering:
If you could have a dream job, what would it be, and why?

I want to own a laser tag arena. Lasertag is a lot of fun, it lets out some of my hostility in a (relatively) constructive (or, at least not destructive) manner, they make a lot of money if they're run right, and, it was one of the best jobs that I ever had (nostalgia at its best)

any one else?
Old 12-17-2002, 03:49 PM   #2
warch
lurkin old school

I'm thinking people that get paid to travel,explore, eat, and drink have a pretty good gig. I imagine some media program- I would be behind the scenes- have some input on the destinations and the look of the production. Michael Palin or other available Python could be the host and set a fun tone for the whole thing. There would be periods of lots of travel, but of course not enough to burn ya out.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 05:11 PM   #3
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I gots mine...

I work for myself doing custom woodworking.

I travel when I can afford to, sell when I can and generally make a mercenary bastard of myself.

Brian
Old 12-17-2002, 05:33 PM   #4
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianR
I work for myself doing custom woodworking.

Just curious, do you have a website or some example of your work?

Last edited by slang; 12-17-2002 at 06:20 PM.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 06:15 PM   #5
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

I'd like to run a small airport/FBO someday. Perhaps in rural Alaska. It coukd have a side businesses in telephone, Cable TV and internet service.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 06:42 PM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

*still thinkin'*
Old 12-17-2002, 06:45 PM   #7
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Quote:
Originally posted by slang

Just curious, do you have a website or some example of your work?
not yet. I'm working on it, as soon as I:

1) learn to write HTML or XTML or whatever passes for webpage design language these days. and

2) take pictures to post.

Keep your eyes peeled. When I get a website, I'll post and plug it here.

Brian
Old 12-17-2002, 06:59 PM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

Actually, I've just started refurbishing an old barn which will give my woodworking stuff some elbow room and I can build my kitchen cabinets. I recently noticed that wooden cross country skis are in short supply. People are hoarding them. Anyway, I ordered a book on laminating and bending wood on the off chance that maybe there is something there. I'm not sure how primitive a shop can crank out a quality ski so its more of an info gathering exercise at the moment..
Old 12-17-2002, 09:38 PM   #9
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I've been giving this some thought.

What I had said on the newsstand thread was related to operating a retail establishment, which is not what I truly want to do. (allthough a cozy existence surrounded by books still beckons. If only I could make as much doing that from the get-go that i'm making now ... )

My absolute preference would be to have a home-based crafts business, doing whatever struck my fancy. I'm into a lot of different crafts, including beadwork, crocheting, knitting, making dreamcatchers, and such ... I'd like to learn spinning and basketweaving intrigues me (you have no idea how disappointed I was when I found out that basketweaving was NOT an activity at the mental hospital I work for.)

I've also dabbled a bit in candlemaking and have bunches of ideas that I'm wanting to try out, but the apt. I live in currently isn't set up for large scale production.

There's also things like stained glass, which I did a bit of in college and never really pursued, but I've tried to stay away from the expensive lots of equipment crafts.

One of the big benefits would be that if I didn't want to go out, I wouldn't have to ... not having to commute would make me VERY happy.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 05:21 AM   #10
dave

My ideal job would probably be that as a tech writer - combining two things that I love.
Old 12-18-2002, 06:01 AM   #11
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

My ideal job would be "the supreme ruler/manager/director of advanced product development/ R & D" for any company that utilizes cutting edge design and analysis software, processes, and materials to create mechanical or electro- mechanical systems. This position is generally under the engineering department but I wouldnt want to manage an eng dept. I am interested in the application of new technology to develop better new products, not cost reduction, retro fitting, general application issues, warrantee service, manufacturing support, onsite customer support or any other eng related responsibility. Just the new and cool stuff.

The chances of that becoming reality at this point are only limited by my ability to start and grow a business to the size that such a position would be required.

Then I could make cool stuff like the Segway scooter
Old 12-18-2002, 08:51 AM   #12
j03L10T
going nowhere slow

My current dream job is crew chief on a re-model crew for a major corporation such as wal-mart or big k. Travel year round, write stories when I'm off. Take pictures of the towns I am visiting. Then I would post everything online in a public journal like a punk's version of charles kurault's, "on the road". Maybe someday.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:04 AM   #13
juju
no one of consequence

My dream job is to be a programmer. It will be realized in a year.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 10:41 AM   #14
warch
lurkin old school

This is a related cool thing, because it was someone's dream job they made happen. Its a folk traditions school/retreat in Northern MN - North House Folk School - year round camp for grownups. Here's a class on birch ski making coming in January for you Griff:

Traditional Birch Ski Making: Beginner Students will build a pair of birch skis to fit their size, weight and intended use. The course covers discussion on wood grain, bending wood, types of bindings and information related to use and handling of these ancient tools of transportation. Mark,the instructor, learned to make skis from Marvin Salo, whose father was a master ski maker trained in the old Sami school of ski construction. His father's advice was "if you understand the wood the wood will work for you." This course will unlock the secrets of ski construction that are thousands of years old.

They have lots of other woodworking, tons of fiberstuff- including nordic knitting which I really love, and dogwood baskets for Wolf! Roadtrip!
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 03:42 PM   #15
Griff
still says videotape

That's pretty cool. Teaching there could be somebodies Dream Job.