The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 11-16-2009, 07:56 AM   #1
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Politician or Priest

Politician or Priest. What's the difference, really?

In New Jersey.

Quote:
Former Gov. James E. McGreevey has started the process to become a priest in his newly adopted Episcopal faith and has been accepted into a three-year seminary program starting this fall.
Link
Old 11-16-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
"This is something he's been thinking about for years," said David France, who last year co-authored McGreevey's best-selling memoir, The Confession. "His spiritual life has always been central to who he is. From the time he was a kid, he thought about going into Catholic seminary a number of times. The idea of going into the Episcopal seminary has been in his mind for at least a couple of years."

McGreevey, 49, resigned in August 2004 after announcing he was gay and had an affair with a male staffer, who has denied it.
Nice, so???
Old 11-16-2009, 08:30 AM   #3
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Nice, so???
So what's the difference between being a politician or a priest?

They both live off of the proceeds from people for whom they don't provide a product or service. They are both positions where people allow themselves to be told what to do by them. They both have high incidences of abuse of power. A portion of both use their position to have sex with young boys. They are positions commonly held by hipocrits.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:53 AM   #4
SamIam

Well, Spex, do you maybe, just maybe hate organized religion? I am going to take a great intellectural leap here and assume that you do. I have no desire to attempt to discuss religion with an individual whose mind is already made up. Go follow your bliss, but don't expect me to sign on for your journey.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:58 AM   #5
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

wtf?

I'm with you, Spexx. A big hiding place for hypocrites, morons, and deviants, the church is.

I'll follow you on your journey. Not that I get the comment, but it's fun to say.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
SamIam

OK, I should explain. I am a member of the Methodist church and volunteer for some of its programs that help my community. The people of my church are like people anywhere. Some are kind; some are self- righteous; some are generous; some are miserly;etc.,etc.

I have no doubt that there do exist Methodist ministers who are incompetent pedophiles. I imagine that there do exist teachers who are incompetent pedophiles. I would hope that such sick individuals are discovered sooner rather than later.

But the OP villified the entire Christian faith and this is just wrong. It has become fashionable to trash Christians with rolled eyes and "oh THEM." There are many competent, caring Christians who are neither fundamentalists nor pedophiles. It is not my place to convert anybody. It does upset me to see an organization which in my town alone helps the homeless, establishes a safe house for battered women and serves 2,000 free meals a month dismissed in its entirety by the poor actions of a few.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:31 AM   #7
Pie
Gone and done

What you choose believe or not believe is not my concern. Why your 'club' should be tax-exempt? That's a much harder question.

The services you provide are for your members only. Or are you bound by laws of public accommodation?

I thought not.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:02 AM   #8
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
So what's the difference between being a politician or a priest?
If you have no use for them, steer clear of them.

I think you are tarring the clergy with too broad a brush ... there are good, sincere folks (from all religious paths) out there. Those are the ones you don't hear about, incidentally.

All priests are not a Bernard Cardinal Law shielding a Father Geoghan.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:09 AM   #9
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Sorry for the tail post, but the thing about McGreevey going to Episcopal seminary is old news, why so hot about it now?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:22 AM   #10
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
What you choose believe or not believe is not my concern. Why your 'club' should be tax-exempt? That's a much harder question.
Churches, schools, and charities, along with amateur sports leagues, labor unions, farm associations and active members of the US armed forces do not pay taxes. Big Oil also often gets tax breaks. Write your congressman and good luck.

It has always been my understanding that the tax exemption for churches is part of the seperation between church and state. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
The services you provide are for your members only. Or are you bound by laws of public accommodation?

I thought not.
Think some more. Battered women are given a place in our shelter and no one asks what if anything they believe in. People who show up at the soup kitchen do not have to be card carrying Methodists or anything else. We mainly ask that they do not be so drunk as to be disruptive.

It really is a shame that so many otherwise intelligent people are so mis-informed.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:25 AM   #11
Pie
Gone and done

And if they're gay? Do you welcome them then?
Old 11-16-2009, 10:30 AM   #12
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Maybe they can un-ghey them? Or is that de-ghey?
Old 11-16-2009, 10:36 AM   #13
SamIam

From the Methodist Book of Resolutions (emphasis my own)

Quote:
WHEREAS, actions rooted in homophobia and heterosexism, including violence, threats, ridicule, humiliation, discrimination, isolation, and rejection, are damaging to persons of all sexual orientations and identities; and

WHEREAS, homophobia and heterosexism are manifestations of sexism in general in that they foster stereotypes based on arbitrary distinctions of gender categories; and

WHEREAS, the United Methodist Church is committed to the eradication of sexism (#3444, 2008 Book of Resolutions);

Therefore, be it resolved, that The United Methodist Church strengthen its advocacy of the eradication of sexism by opposing all forms of violence or discrimination based on gender, gender identity, sexual practice, or sexual orientation; and

Be it further resolved, that the General Board of Church and Society provide resources and materials aimed at educating members of the local churches about the reality, issues, and effects of homophobia and heterosexism and the need for Christian witness against these facets of marginalization.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:41 AM   #14
Pie
Gone and done

Well, good on them.

Do priests pay income tax?
Old 11-16-2009, 10:57 AM   #15
SamIam

Ministers do. I don't know about Roman Catholic priests, but I'm guessing they do as well.