The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 08-29-2002, 09:47 AM   #1
perth
Strong Silent Type

red hat 7.3 and gnome

after installing redhat 7.3 and logging in under gnome, there is a stupid 'start here' box that comes up every time i log in. try as i might, i cannot find any way to stop that window from opening. any of you gurus have any suggestions i might try? im sure its something stupid, but im missing it. thanks in advance.

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 10:17 AM   #2
dave

That's Nautilus being retarded. The only way I have found to get rid of it is to install Ximian's GNOME Desktop (http://ximian.com), which will give you Ximian's package (which does <b>not</b> pop up that damn window)... but it's a big download too (hundreds of megs).

That's one of those little annoying things that I hate about Linux. In Windows, there would be a box that would ask whether or not you wanted it to show up every fucking time you logged in. In MacOS X, it just wouldn't happen, period. In Linux, there's no way to get rid of it without installing a different version of GNOME. Go figure.

You'll probably be happy with Ximian though - Red Carpet is pretty nice (ala Software Update for MacOS X), though it kinda gives too many updates (and it's a pain in the ass to go through and select them all).

Anyway, there probably <b>is</b> a way to get rid of it, but I'll be damned if I can find it.
Old 08-29-2002, 10:40 AM   #3
perth
Strong Silent Type

ooooh... a weekend project. my wife is gonna hate you. im finally getting internet access at home tonight (cable) so that works out real well. couple questions though:

1. do i need to uninstall my current install of gnome first?

actually, thats only one question. ill check out gnomes website and do some hunting before i ask any more.

thanks!
~james
Old 08-29-2002, 10:40 AM   #4
dave

No.
Old 08-29-2002, 11:13 AM   #5
perth
Strong Silent Type

damn...

maybe its not a weekend project. that doesnt look very hard to install at all. thanks for the advice, dham, i appreciate it.

~james
Old 08-29-2002, 01:41 PM   #6
Tobiasly
hot

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic
That's one of those little annoying things that I hate about Linux. In Windows, there would be a box that would ask whether or not you wanted it to show up every fucking time you logged in.
Yes, but Windows has yet to incorporate a feature that lets me chop a branch off my file tree, no questions asked.

In Linux: "rm -rf /foo".

In Windows: "Are you sure you want to delete this whole directory? (Yes to All) Are you sure you want to delete this read-only file? (Yes to All) Are you sure you want to delete this hidden system directory? (Yes to All) Are you sure you want to delete this program file? (Yes to All) Whoops, this file is in use. I'm gonna just give up on trying to delete everything else."
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 03:20 PM   #7
dave

Yep. So they both suck. So MacOS X doesn't. Which was my point.
Old 08-29-2002, 04:22 PM   #8
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic
That's one of those little annoying things that I hate about Linux. In Windows, there would be a box that would ask whether or not you wanted it to show up every fucking time you logged in....
Anyway, there probably <b>is</b> a way to get rid of it, but I'll be damned if I can find it.
More like, "that's one of the things you hate about immature software". Early Windows shoved just as many things up your nose on the desktop, with no way to trash them except perhaps through a editing a secret registry key. And it's still that way, although most of the things you're forced to eat are (usually) less obvious these days.

Nautilus isn't identical with Linux. If you don't like what it does (or what doofi at RH have patched it to do, since somebody told them their mission was to make Linux desktop-user friendly), you can indeed run something *else* for your desktop.Try that with Windows.

Your Windows desktop doesn't actually belong to you. It belongs to MSFT; they consider it a corporate asset. That's why they've been dragged kicking and screaming through the courts of the land to gain the huge concession of letting anybody change it at all.

I built a 7.3 machine for Amateur Radio Field Day, but it's still out in the shed; hasn't made it back into the house yet since my office has too many other auxilliary PCs running that I need for another project. I do recall renaming or deleting the "breadcrumbs for the clueless" that RH put on the desktop.

To my mind, mandatory running of Nautilus is a fairly high price to pay for somebody's BeOS envy, itself a cultish form of MacOS envy. But downloading and installing Ximian as a solution seems to me like swatting a fly with a sledgehammer, even if you do have broadband.

Just as a guess I'd say the Gnome session manager is probably set up to start Nautilus pointing the "start-here:" page. You can get to that from menuing "Programs/Settings/Session" on the Gnome panel. Another possibility is that there may be an object in ~/.gnome-desktop that's making it happen. If I get ambitious I'll haul that 7.3 machine in from the shed and fire it up...

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 11:28 AM   #9
perth
Strong Silent Type

dham - tried ximian, liked it. youre the man.

of course nothing can ever to according to plan, so shortly after i started playing with it i somehow managed to trash my network settings, so i guess i got that weekend project i was hoping for.

~james