The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 12-30-2007, 08:49 AM   #1
Ibby
erika

Indie Report!

Daaaaaamn.
Ive been on a SERIOUS indie kick the past week or so... and I'm gonna share my findings with you.
I spent a christmas iTunes $25 gift card on 25 random indie tracks... then followed up by spending my parents money (without asking, might I add... but they'll probably make me pay them back when they get the bill! (have i ever mentioned I hate smilies?))

Anyway, here's what you should go check out.
"Artist - Album; good track or two", followed by short review

ee - Ramadan; "One More Year" and "Ramadan"
Very slow, chilled-out indie rock. Not emo, but a distant cousin maybe. Sounds kind of like a Post-Rock band trying to cover a slower Eagles song. Good music to rest too, good rainy-day music.

(unnamed) - The Good, The Bad, and The Queen; "The Good, The Bad, and the Queen"
An unnamed collaboration band (usually referred to by the name of their debut album) combining Daman Albarn of Blur/Gorillaz with Paul Simonon of The Clash, Simon Tong of The Verve and Tony Allen of Fela Kuti, and you can hear it. Sounds like The Gorillaz if they weren't halfway-joking, and had an attitude.

Defiance, Ohio - The Great Depression; "The New World Order"
Available for free download on the bands website, this super-political folk-punk album is one of the best - and most original - musical protests I've heard from this generation. Sounds like what the Sex Pistols would have sounded like with a girl singer, no electricity, and a banjo player.

White Light Riot - Atomism; "In A Shotgun Whirlwind"
One part pop-punk, one part indie-hardcore, two parts classic rock, and a pinch of metal, and you have the basic recipe for White Light Riot. Fast and angry, but nothing HUGELY original.

Jeremy Fisher - Goodbye Blue Monday; "Scar That Never Heals", "Joline", and "Cigarette"
After his $60 video for "Cigarette" got over 2,000,000 views on Youtube, the record companies quickly realized this canadian street busker's potential. His third debut album (the first two don't count... don't ask me why) is a stream of incredibly catchy, fun, happy pop-folk-rock songs that variously channel equal parts tom petty, simon&garfunkel, elliott smith, cat stevens, and bob dylan, while still feeling fresh and different. All three aforementioned songs are on Youtube, with "Scar That Never Heals", despite its rather melodramatic title, being my favorite and, I think, the catchiest.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:25 PM   #2
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Cool, I listened to this band live right before I left for home after exams and you might like them. They are a very jazzy politically active rap band (think RATM but jazz instead of metal) from the Twin Cities. They are not on itunes but they are pretty good once you get into them and get passed the awkwardness of the rapper.

http://www.myspace.com/junkyardempire
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 11:10 PM   #3
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

These are some of my favorite bands in the St. Louis music scene...show 'em some love!

The Orbz

Stella Mora

Tory Z Starbuck

The Metrophobics

Ashborne

My Other Side

D-Railed

Futora

Syna So Pro

SimplyEsoteric

The Cold War Direction

The Hibernauts
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:07 AM   #4
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Yes! I love indie music. Here are a few of mine:

Ozma

Eyes Caught Fire

Peace Officer - These guys are good friends of ours. We use to hang with them about every weekend. Going to Fort Collins tonight, in fact to party with them for new years. Last year's new years over there turned into a "makeout party." Hopefully this year is a little more tame. Unfortunately, they don't play as often as they use to.

12 Cents for Marvin - These folks are a kick to see. The brass adds so much to their sound, too. Cool people.

Wasabi - A great Jazz improvisational band. I went to high school with the drummer.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote