The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:04 PM   #1
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

They're Watching Me

I've been slowly getting my address updated with everybody since we moved. I have this one credit card that I never ever use, but I've never canceled it because it's my oldest account and benefits my credit report just by existing. But because I'm not getting regular statements from them, there's not a handy "check this box if your address has changed" option.

So I call their customer service number, and it's one of those goddamn voice recognition programs. Ugh. I say my credit card number, and then say my billing zip code to confirm. "I'm sorry, that does not match our records." I say it again, more slowly. Still no good. I enter it through the buttons on the phone. Nope. So I figure they misheard my account number in the first place, but there's no option to go back in the menu, I have to hang up and call again. This time I enter my card number manually, and my zip code too, and they still say I'm wrong. Throwing up my hands in frustration, I enter my new zip code. "Thank you. For billing questions, press 1..."

Fuckers already knew I had moved. I did not change my address with them yet, I am quite certain of it. To be sure, I went all the way through the process to talk to a real person, who confirmed they knew the whole thing. But my phone number was still wrong, so at least I got to update that and feel like this whole ten minutes wasn't a complete waste of time.

I guess they probably got it off of my credit report, but that's a little nuts--how could they know for sure it was accurate? Especially when your billing zip code is used so often for confirmation as to who you are. The only other thing I can figure is maybe they're ultimately owned by the same company that owns my other credit card, and they are good about cross-referencing their accounts.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:45 PM   #2
Rexmons
- Kavkaz United -

they probably went by your income taxes
Old 06-13-2007, 04:42 PM   #3
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

It's the tracking device that the aliens implanted that one time...

Perhaps I've said too much....

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:54 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

And you thought is was a simple anal probe, hah.

I'm betting they got the update from the credit bureau.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:11 PM   #5
Clodfobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexmons
I only moved one month ago.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:59 PM   #6
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

I can pretty much rule out that they got your new address from your credit report or any other source. They simply cannot change your billing address without your consent.

Call them back and ask them who authorized the billing address change.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:13 AM   #7
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

capital one owns almost everything chawse doens.t at this point...

one day it will be capital chase or chase one. not the usa.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:52 AM   #8
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

But is the chase worth the catch?

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:21 AM   #9
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexmons View Post
But tw told me the government would never compromise personal information.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:31 AM   #10
Clodfobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim
It was a Capitol One card, actually. The other card I'd already updated the address on was a plain ol' Visa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie
Call them back and ask them who authorized the billing address change.
I asked the guy I was talking to about that, but they clearly outsource their call centers. He said the system doesn't keep track of old addresses or show evidence of an "official change," the address was just listed in the account as it was.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:22 AM   #11
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

What is puzzling to me about this is that nothing updates that fast. Not property records, credit reports or anything I can think of. To have figured out your new address within 30 days of your move is baffling.

The only theory I can come up with is that you ordered something online with that card and listed your new address as the billing address with the online merchant. When the charge was submitted, CapOne used the online order as implicit consent to a billing address change.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:02 PM   #12
Clodfobble

Not possible--I literally never use the card. The statement I dug out to get the customer service phone number was over a year old, and was only sent because they changed their privacy policy; even that one had no charges on it.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:11 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
It was a Capitol One card, actually. The other card I'd already updated the address on was a plain ol' Visa.
No such thing as a plain old VISA, they're all attached to some bank.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:38 PM   #14
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
I only moved one month ago.
Quote:
I've been slowly getting my address updated with everybody since we moved. I have this one credit card that I never ever use, but I've never canceled it because it's my oldest account and benefits my credit report just by existing. But because I'm not getting regular statements from them, there's not a handy "check this box if your address has changed" option.

So I call their customer service number, and it's one of those goddamn voice recognition programs. Ugh. I say my credit card number, and then say my billing zip code to confirm. "I'm sorry, that does not match our records." I say it again, more slowly. Still no good. I enter it through the buttons on the phone. Nope. So I figure they misheard my account number in the first place, but there's no option to go back in the menu, I have to hang up and call again. This time I enter my card number manually, and my zip code too, and they still say I'm wrong. Throwing up my hands in frustration, I enter my new zip code. "Thank you. For billing questions, press 1..."

Fuckers already knew I had moved. I did not change my address with them yet, I am quite certain of it. To be sure, I went all the way through the process to talk to a real person, who confirmed they knew the whole thing. But my phone number was still wrong, so at least I got to update that and feel like this whole ten minutes wasn't a complete waste of time.

I guess they probably got it off of my credit report, but that's a little nuts--how could they know for sure it was accurate? Especially when your billing zip code is used so often for confirmation as to who you are. The only other thing I can figure is maybe they're ultimately owned by the same company that owns my other credit card, and they are good about cross-referencing their accounts.
Quote:

I asked the guy I was talking to about that, but they clearly outsource their call centers. He said the system doesn't keep track of old addresses or show evidence of an "official change," the address was just listed in the account as it was.

Gaslight

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
one day it will be capital chase or chase one. not the usa.
shut up. you're scaring me.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:24 PM   #15
Griff
still says videotape

I looked up your old house on the newly sentient Google. There's a pic over you guys filling a moving van...