The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 05-27-2007, 08:04 PM   #1
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

It sounded like a good idea

By hallowed Dallas family tradition, when one of us has a birthday, we go out to eat, and the birthday person chooses the restaurant--more or less. (Mrs. Dallas and I try not to intentionally pick something we know the kids will actively dislike.)

This year, I chose to forgo "dinner" and instead head to the Reading Terminal Market for lunch. It's been literally years since I've been there. It should be fun.. we can walk around, see the different vendors, get something for lunch. Oh, yeah, well, today is Sunday. The web site informs us that none of the Pennsylvania Dutch vendors operate on Sunday. But about 2/3 of the shops are open--a good cross section of what's available.

My daughter has been hankering for a cheesesteak, so we stop by Rick's Steaks. Umm, closed. There's a long line at the hoagie place opposite, but they don't have cheesesteaks.

Moving right along.. Chinese wouldn't be bad, she says. Oh, the Chinese place is closed.

Oh. The other Chinese place is closed too.

Thai? Closed.

Mexican? Closed.

Brick oven pizza? Closed.

By default we end up at the Down Home Diner after examining the menus and deciding we can all deal with it, including Mrs. Dallas, who is teetering on the edge of vegetarianism these days.

They then seat us and proceed to plop down a menu for a Sunday brunch that was not outside and bears little resemblance to what was outside. They do, however, have cheesesteaks. My son gets the strawberry French toast, and I got biscuits and gravy. Mrs. Dallas didn't have many choices but went with the chicken Caesar salad--with dressing on the side, please. "Oh, I don't know if they can do that." "Umm, why not?" "Well, they're really busy today. But I'll ask and find out." It turned out they did, but we were not clear why such a simple and common request was such a big deal. (Unless they simply pre-made the salad by the tub--surely not!!)

Well, the Middle Eastern place was open. We can at least pick up some hummus to take home. Oops, they're out of hummus.

So, back to the car. Wait... our validated ticket is supposed to scan for $3.00. Instead it goes for the full price ($20). It's all automated.. so there's nobody there to complain to. What to do? I decided to pay the $20 (not much choice) and complain about it later to the garage management and if necessary my credit card company.

I kind of wish I had stayed home for a PB&J.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 08:18 PM   #2
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Well, uh... happy birthday?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 08:28 PM   #3
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

What an adventure. I hope you enjoyed the time with your familiy anyway.

Happy Birthday!
Old 05-27-2007, 09:03 PM   #4
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Oh man, you were lucky that Rick's was closed. Otherwise, you'd really be hatin' life right about now.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 01:14 PM   #5
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

So sorry the experience wasn't as good as you hoped - nothing worse than a special treat that is scuppered by external influences.

Still, at least you got lunch with your family.

Good luck with getting the ticket refunded!
Old 05-28-2007, 08:57 PM   #6
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I once went to a dinner party where the meal was spaghetti and meatballs (my favorite) and it was served with no cutlery at all save a pair of vinyl gloves (latex allergy was present in some guests).

It was so odd that everyone had a great time learning to eat with their hands all over again. Messy too, but too fun!
Old 05-29-2007, 03:45 PM   #7
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas View Post
--snip--
So, back to the car. Wait... our validated ticket is supposed to scan for $3.00. Instead it goes for the full price ($20). It's all automated.. so there's nobody there to complain to. What to do? I decided to pay the $20 (not much choice) and complain about it later to the garage management and if necessary my credit card company.

I kind of wish I had stayed home for a PB&J.
Bummm-er! Happy birthday, sorry, and two words:

Half barrel hinges.

Ok, it's three words. But the computer that prints the tickets doesn't get to be "closed" like the human-run joints. I'd'a taken the gate apart.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:41 PM   #8
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Be sure to fight the ticket. My feeling is if people don't complain then nothing gets fixed. Complain to the parking authority first and then to the market office.

Happy Birthday.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:42 AM   #9
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I like the idea, V, but it's not my style. (It'd serve them right, though.) And what I don't understand is how the stamp from the merchant is supposed to persuade the card stripe reader that it's a validated ticket? Anyway, I am writing to the owner of the garage. I expect absolutely nothing from them (though you never know), but then when I talk to Bank of America I can legitimately say I attempted to resolve it with the merchant. FWIW I have had two other instances over the years where somebody ripped me off, and in both cases when I complained BofA reversed the charges without comment.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 09:56 AM   #10
Griff
still says videotape

Happish Birthday.